Hey Pothole

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is your son still on canada's Curling Team? Just wondering so we could keep an eye out for him.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry to hear that. I'm assuming this was in a preliminary event leading up to the Olympics?

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, pre-trials. After spending 3yrs and $300k plus in order to qualify, 1 picked rock can screw you ! cruel sport at times but thank god for sponsors.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, I had no idea curling would be that expensive. Is it just the ice time and travel that makes it so pricey?

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me explain. In order to qualify for the pre-trials, you earn CTRS ( Canadian Team Ranking System ) points. The problem is for example, this year there are 26 events in Canada where you can earn these points. Four, yes 4, are in Eastern Canada, 22 are in the West. Flights, Hotels entry fees and food at least every second weekend during the season cost our guys a fortune. The final Slam event is in NWT, the team has to finish at least 4th ( $8k ), to recoup their expenses......pretty sick.

roland cote

roland cote

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just wanted to let you know that I have been a curling fan for about 50 yrs and think it is one of the interesting of the "unknow sports' I know you are proud of your son and convey my kudos to him for competeing on a professional level. Remember when they used real straw brooms, lol

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just wanted to let you know that I have been a curling fan for about 50 yrs and think it is one of the interesting of the "unknow sports' I know you are proud of your son and convey my kudos to him for competeing on a professional level. Remember when they used real straw brooms, lol

Some still do as you have to hold a sweeping implement while throwing your rock. I hope Shuster does well in the Olympics.:tee:

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Pothole ...I curled for a few years ..joined the game late but loved playing the game and enjoy watching it more now they have opened it up more.

Let's go Canada

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, pre-trials. After spending 3yrs and $300k plus in order to qualify, 1 picked rock can screw you ! cruel sport at times but thank god for sponsors.
Sounds like poker. :cool:

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pothole,

I watched the boys. Very difficult 10th end on the A side. I am a big fan of Jamie, Ryan, Mark and Brad. Although a sad end to a hard run l think this years Brier is theirs. I got my tickets and I can't wait to watch them mow the field in Halifax.

One displaced Newfie and big team Gushue fan!

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pothole,

I watched the boys. Very difficult 10th end on the A side. I am a big fan of Jamie, Ryan, Mark and Brad. Although a sad end to a hard run l think this years Brier is theirs. I got my tickets and I can't wait to watch them mow the field in Halifax.

One displaced Newfie and big team Gushue fan!

I'll be there too, be nice to hook up, I'll be easy to find, wearing one of Jamies previous Brier jackets.

dead spade

dead spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, I had no idea curling would be that expensive. Is it just the ice time and travel that makes it so pricey?
i know i was watching womens curling last night and it dosnt look like it should cost that much maybe well do you have too purchase your own stones i know that you have to purchase your own bowling balls and some of them cost $200 be drill:cool:

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you have too purchase your own stones i know that you have to purchase your own bowling balls and some of them cost $200 be drill:cool:

LMFAO, can you imagine lugging 8 rocks that weigh 42 lbs each to a spiel? I can just see the Mrs at the airport lifting them on the conveyor belt :rolleyes: besides the fact they are around $3k each

dead spade

dead spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LMFAO, can you imagine lugging 8 rocks that weigh 42 lbs each to a spiel? I can just see the Mrs at the airport lifting them on the conveyor belt :rolleyes: besides the fact they are around $3k each
i dont know much about curling but are you seriouse the stones weigh 42 pounds and they cost $3K WTF bowling balls weigh 16 pounds at the most, one of those stones weighs the same as my bowling bag and it carries three ballls wow:cool: