Famous Cricket Sledges

Pillshark

Pillshark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those of you who do not know what "Sledging" is,then here is discription.

/* */

Sledging (cricket)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Sledging is a term used in cricket to describe the practice whereby some players seek to gain an advantage by insulting or verbally intimidating the opposing batsman. The purpose is to try to weaken the opponent's concentration, thereby causing him to make mistakes or underperform. It can be effective because the batsman stands within hearing range of the bowler and certain close fielders; and vice-versa. The insults may be direct or feature in conversations among fielders designed to be overheard.
There is debate in the cricketing world as to whether this constitutes poor sportsmanship or good-humoured banter.[1] Sledging is often mistaken for abuse, and whilst comments aimed as sledges do sometimes cross the line into personal abuse, this is not usually the case. Sledging is usually simply an often humorous, sometimes insulting attempt at distraction. Former Australian captain Steve Waugh referred to the practice as 'mental disintegration'.

Anyone who is offended by bad langauge,then please do not click on this link. You have been warned.:eek:
Those of you who understand cricket,I'm sure will have a little chuckle over these.Although you might still take a quick intake of breath,and think,bloody hell!!:eek: :eek: that was a bit close to the crease.:D

Attachments

• CRICKET SLEDGES.pdf
    495.3 KB · Views: 12
E

eaglezoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good post! Its interesting to learn about sports played almost entirely outside of the United States. I think there is some form of "sledging" in most competitive sports. LOL. :eek:

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of my favourite ones is when West Indian fast bowler Tino Best was batting very defensivly against England at Lords and in the slips was 'Freddy' Flintoff
"Go on Tino, don't break the windows' he jibed
Tino then steams down the wicket with an almighty swipe at the ball, misses and is out stumped :rofl:

gobthemagician

gobthemagician

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Loved this article and love sledging. Too bad the umpires try to keep it under wraps nowadays. Always enjoyed it

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My two favourites

Robin Smith and Merv Hughes

During 1989 Lords Test Hughes said to Smith after he played and missed: "You can't f***ing bat". Smith to Hughes after he smacked him to the boundary: "Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. I can't f***ing bat and you can't f***ing bowl."

Glenn McGrath and Eddo Brandes

Glenn McGrath asked Eddo Brandes how come he was so fat. Brandes replied "because every time I **** your wife she gives me a biscuit".

http://www.indiatoday.com.au/yourstory-cricketsledges.htm

gobthemagician

gobthemagician

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The legendary WG Grace sledging (hey he had to find something else besides cricket right?? the guy played a massive 870 first class matches!!):

"Out leg-before, he refused to walk and told the umpire: " They came to watch me bat, not you bowl". And the innings continued.

Grace's ability to stand his ground would have done Sunil Gavaskar proud. Once, when the ball knocked off a bail, he replaced it and told the umpire: " Twas the wind which took thy bail off, good sir."
The umpire replied: "Indeed, doctor, and let us hope thy wind helps the good doctor on thy journey back to the pavilion .""