F1 Racing Thread

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Massa is quick, Alonso is just one of the quickest ever. Who would you say is quicker than Massa and readily available?

Massa USED to be quick, not anymore, 1 podium in 2 yrs while sitting in a ferrari is hardly a stellar performance. di Resta, Maldanado, even Petrov proved he was capable when he had a decent car, any of these would be preferable to Massa.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sigh I so wish Massa had won the championship a few years ago. Such a cool guy. Think that and then the accident really ****ed with him

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well yeah, that's the question, isn't it :p

Like I said above, I thought Perez was being groomed to take over that seat, but McLaren beat Ferrari to him and Webber is now resigned with Red Bull.

Dunno what their current contracts are like, but if they could get them I think Ferrari would be better off with someone like Di Resta or Ricciardo in the seat. Maybe even Senna, I dunno.

At any rate, I think if Felipe stays at Ferrari next season it's only an indictment on the lack of available talent, not an endorsement of his performance. Which is sad, given that but for one luckbox overtake the guy would've been a world champion...

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well Masa looked quicker than Alonso today, as he was told not to get too close and leave a bigger gap to his team mate.

(Perez should have left a bigger gap to his future team mate too).

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hard to see Vettel being beaten from here, huh? Seems those couple of early retirements really really ended up hurting Alonso's chances...

C

ChuckyEgg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I have a feeling it's gonna be another Red Bull Driver's championship win, although this time, like the first time, they have had to work for it. Much better to have a win like this than one like last season. Much better for us the fans, that is.

Let's hope that Alonso will at least force this one right up to the last race.

It's a shame Massa is only just getting back to his old form. It would have been nice to have seen him take some of those driver's and constructor's point away from Red Bull.
Hopefully his return to good form will continue, and help make next season and interesting one.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I honestly can't understand what's up with Massa. He's been terrible all season, and now out of nowhere he finally pulls his finger out and puts in some good work. Though as the commentators noted during the Indian race, he's back on form and yet still a long way behind Alonso...

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I honestly can't understand what's up with Massa. He's been terrible all season, and now out of nowhere he finally pulls his finger out and puts in some good work. Though as the commentators noted during the Indian race, he's back on form and yet still a long way behind Alonso...

This can be summed up with two words. Bernoulli effect. First let me say that any of the top five to eight drivers can take a fast car to the front. Back to the Bernoulli effect...

When Ferrari started the season their exhaust gasses (which are considerable) were aimed at the bottom of the rear wing, as the FIA demands. This spoils the rear wing to a degree as they want as low a pressure as possible under the wing.

However, the FIA only dictates the overall angle of the exhaust port. Not the dimensions, nor the contour of the port.

What they have done is apply the Bernoulli effect and laminar flow to the inside of the exhaust port, directing the exhaust harmlessly away to the sides. Whilst still aiming the port properly at the wing.

If you turn on the water in your sink it flows straight down. If you hang the back of a spoon in the flow, the water is directed to the side. Laminar flow causes the water to attach to
the spoon long enough to redirect it. This is the Bernoulli effect.

This change has quickened up the Ferrari's real good. :)

-

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What has happened to win at all cost Shummaker? He's leaving ( retiring ) at the end of the season and 'forgets' to go out early enough in Q3 in order to put in a time, yet Hamilton ( who is leaving Mclaren ) fires it up and gets pole. IMO, they should drop MS for the last two races, and let their test driver take a shot at a couple of races.

C

ChuckyEgg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, this will be interesting...

Vettel has to start at the back of the grid, because of a penalty for not being able to supply enough fuel for testing at the end of the race.

This will be interesting primarily because we will see if Seb can do well, overtake, and get into decent points from way back on the grid, or is he just a driver that can only do well from the front row of the grid?

Go go Alonso!!!!

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
RB did all kinds of weird stuff this weekend.

Scoop is that Vettel had enough fuel to make it back to the pits. So why did he stop? The odds that he would have had to submit his fuel for inspection is minimal, had he made it back to the pits.. It's a random check thing. But it's mandatory if you stop on the track.

He didn't report running out of fuel. Rather was told cryptically to park. So why did he/they do it?

-

C

ChuckyEgg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, that was a bloody awesome race, and I reckon Vettel has to be the man of the race. What a drive he had!

Totally annoyed me at the end, as I wanted less of a gap, championship points wise, between him and Alonso, but if he wins this season he will have earned it and deserved it, and I won't be too sad... just a little :)

Kudos to Kimi for the win, and we saw some proper uplifted emotion from him in the waiting area, just before they took their places of on the podium, and actual smile on his face :)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As sad as I am that it wasn't Alonso on the top step... OMFG is it great to have Kimi back winning a race and being, well, Kimi. "Just leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!" indeed ;)

This can be summed up with two words. Bernoulli effect. First let me say that any of the top five to eight drivers can take a fast car to the front. Back to the Bernoulli effect...

So basically we're saying Massa is only as good as the car, whereas Alonso is much much better than the car?

Sounds about right, though it really does still beg the question of why keep Massa? There must be hungrier, faster drivers out there to be had. Oh well, maybe Ricciardo in 2014?

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As sad as I am that it wasn't Alonso on the top step... OMFG is it great to have Kimi back winning a race and being, well, Kimi. "Just leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!" indeed ;)

So basically we're saying Massa is only as good as the car, whereas Alonso is much much better than the car?

Sounds about right, though it really does still beg the question of why keep Massa? There must be hungrier, faster drivers out there to be had. Oh well, maybe Ricciardo in 2014?

They should really have had a look at Hamilton first. Personally I would take Di Resta or Hulkenberg.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL - I would have been in a massive crisis of fandom if they had've recruited Hamilton to replace Massa. "I love my team, but I can't stand one half of the driver lineup..."

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They should really have had a look at Hamilton first. Personally I would take Di Resta or Hulkenberg.

If they took Hamilton, Alonso would have flipped. I don't particularly like the guy as he's always come across as a whiner, ( Alonso I mean, though I do respect his natural talent as a driver ), whatever team he drives for he has to be number one. Both drivers share a similar F1 career, very early success, which let to a prima donna attitude. Both seem to have shaken it off, though it took Alonso a lot longer. After the Mclaren partnership, I don't think Alonso would never accept Hamilton as a team mate.
I think your Hulkenberg-Di resta assessment is spot on, both are capable drivers with room for progress.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So what do you guys think of the Circuit of the Americas?

-

C

ChuckyEgg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn, having only just finished watching the actual race, and now seeing the circuit in the game, I feel like I'm watching the actual track. Amazing!

But...

Circuit of the Americas

I think brazil might have something to say about that :)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow - I don't think I've ever been so happy to see Hamilton win a race and slightly increase Alonso's (admittedly very slim) chances of still taking the title in Brazil.

Some great action on the circuit. Button's wheel to wheel pass on Kimi was just one of a bunch of amazing moments. Can't wait for Brazil :D

C

ChuckyEgg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holy cow pats... race just stated.... smash, and Vettel is hit.... still moving but at the back of the pack, Massa gets in 2nd.... Alonso 4th...

and radio to Vettel says not fixable damage, stay out....

Vettel does the fastest lap (2nd I think).

!!!!

OMG, and .............. noooo Alonso went off.....

ahhhh, I can't take this...

phew, he's back on the track...

I think I need a beer!

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Already the best race of the year.

Vettel spins... GO ALONSO GO

-

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're American, and watching this race, you'll know that this is the last ESPN/F1 broadcast. Going to NBC next year. For more about that Google "F1 TV contract"

The significance is that this final broadcast has brought Sam Posey back to the broadcast booth. This man goes to the very root of open wheeled racing in America.

This just might be the last time we ever hear his voice and I miss his vast knowledge and his gentle way of delivering it to us.

In many ways this is a special race.

GO ALONSO GO

-