Cliff Lee Going Back To Philly?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From Jon Heyman's twitter:

the #phillies look like a very strong candidate to win lee's services. #mysteryteam

He also reports no deal is expected until tomorrow at the earliest.

I'm not really a Phillies fan, but everyone I live with is, so I root for them from time to time. Really, I think the best part about this would be ripping the heart out of all those Yankees fans expecting to watch Cliff Lee this spring :D

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ESPN is reporting that it's a done deal. Anything that hurts the Yankees is alright with me.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thank the lord, now the yankees will suck with fatbathia heading up the rotation

soccerrunner8098

soccerrunner8098

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
might as well pencil the phillies in to win the NL East unfortunately...

M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is insane. It was a disappointing offseason thus far, and then they do this. The best part is that he left 30 million on the table because he didn't want to go to NY. That's just great. I guess money can't buy every player.

Early Favorites, Phillies vs Boston in world series. No, Yankees, hahahaha.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early Favorites, Phillies vs Boston in world series. No, Yankees, hahahaha.

Doesn't seem to usually work that way, though the Phillies have certainly been strengthened immensely.

I still see the Giants and Braves being able to put up a fight in the NL; both teams have excellent pitching.

And in the AL Boston certainly has a great lineup, but their pitching could still improve. A lot of teams just need to get that elite pitcher like Cliff Lee and that can push them to the next level. Not if you're Seattle though and have no offense. Zing! ^^

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice signing by Phili, with Hamels, Lee, Oswalt and Halladay...they are certainly favorites to win the NL. I just received this.

Fox's Ken Rosenthal tweeted that Phillies have a deal in place to send pitcher Joe Blanton to the Red Sox.

Like Phili needs Blanton now...

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good for Lee showing everyone that money isn't everything, but leaving 30 millions on the table when you are going to get hit by tax in this kind of economy.... Not Smart.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good for Lee showing everyone that money isn't everything, but leaving 30 millions on the table when you are going to get hit by tax in this kind of economy.... Not Smart.

Honestly I think sometimes they can stop counting after $10 mil. Yea it would have been a huge difference between $10 mil and $40 mil, but once you get past the $100 mil point, you're talking about "making more money than winning the lotto" territory. I'm sure he's not going to lose any sleep over the "lost" money from the Yankees or Rangers. :)

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great... It's not enough taht they beat my REds like a drum without him, now they can do it with him. On the bright side though, he thumbed his nose at the Yankees, so that makes me chuckle. I'm sure they were like but but but we gave you more money! LOL!!

E

eaglezoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great signing by the Phillies! They have an incredible staff now. But losing Jayson Werth is big blow to run production so they will need to rely more on pitching. The Yankees lost out mightily on this one. It will be interesting to see how they respond to losing Lee.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still think amaro's plan here was to sign Lee, then trade Hammels. Hammels has very high trade value right now, after a strong 2010 season. He carries a hefty contract(not sure what the numbers are, but they gave him a lot of money after his big 2008 season). In return for Hammels they wanna get a much needed right handed bat to replace Werth.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be really surprised if they traded Hamels. With the age of Oswalt and Halladay, there is never a lock that all of their starting pitchers are going to remain healthy.

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think Ruben Amaro Jr. would trade anyone other than Joe Blanton and his remaining 21 Millions (Good Luck finding a team without eating most of that contract)

About Trading Hamels; I don't think is Smart, Trading Him would be like trading Lee a year ago after acquiring Halladay. And what happens if someone gets hurt?

And What about Doc guys? I don't buy that Sh%% that he is all that "Happy with Lee's Signing" - Remember that the Phillies gave him 3 years because They Don't give more than 3 years contract to any Pitcher no matter who the pitcher was...., uhhhh Look what happened now! The Phillies should be happy is Halladay we are talking about here because other Pitcher would be singing the "Give an extension Right Now" song. Wouldn't blame the guy, he is way better than most pitcher (inclunding Lee). That's the reason I don't like "Discounts", unless somebody is giving it to me!

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh no, it's sooo bad cja but i couldn't help laughing lol