Andre Dawson - Some thoughts.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, Andre Dawson is the only inductee for the Baseball Hall of Fame this year. Congratulations Hawk.

What do you all think about that? The voting results are below, courtesy of the Baseball Hall of Fame. Players in bold will not be on future ballots, as you require 5% of the vote to stay on the ballot in future elections. There are no players below that are on the ballot for their 15th and last try.

But, some interesting names that didn't make it in this year.

Roberto Alomar - Maybe I'm biased because I am a Jays fan, but I followed his career really closely, and he's easily one of the top 3 second basemen of all-time. The spitting incident in 1996 surely cost him enough votes to make it in. If I had to guess, had that not happened, he gets anywhere between 90 and 95 percent of the vote. Won 10 gold gloves, hit .300 almost every year, had some power, stole some bases, and was a pivotal player in the back-to-back World Championships in 1992 and 1993 (which I still remember fondly). He's probably one of the smartest players ever.

Barry Larkin - To me, it's not a matter of if, but when he gets voted in. He had a terrific career, did everything really well, and was a class act throughout his entire career.....AND probably one of the most understated players in the last 25 years (in an era of the LOOK AT ME athlete, and that was before some of the media that's being used today).

Tim Raines - Sadly, I don't know if he's going to ever get voted in. One of the best base stealers of all time, not just in terms of the number of bases stolen, but his success rate. I think playing his prime years in a Canadian market hurts his candidacy. A lot of the great players from the 1980's aren't really receiving the love from the voters, not quite sure why, but that's for another discussion.

There are others too, but I'll hold off on making remarks on them for the moment. I'm interested in what others think.

Andre Dawson 420 (77.9%)
Bert Blyleven 400 (74.2%)
Roberto Alomar 397 (73.7%)
Jack Morris 282 (52.3%)
Barry Larkin 278 (51.6%)
Lee Smith 255 (47.3%)
Edgar Martinez 195 (36.2%)
Tim Raines 164 (30.4%)
Mark McGwire 128 (23.7%)
Alan Trammell 121 (22.4%)
Fred McGriff 116 (21.5%)
Don Mattingly 87 (16.1%)