Has the use of poker software and charts ruined decision-making with disregard to the basic fundamentals?

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have noticed that over the past 2 or 3 years (or more), poker people are using charts or poker software to assist their decision-making through a hand or game. This made me wonder what their abilities would be as far as actually reading people online. I do understand, in some respects, it's not easy to get live reads with online poker but it just seems to me that charts are more prevalent than ever. Before charts, we had to use our instincts and look a person in the eye to possibly discover that one thing to make our decision a bit easier. So, would you say the use of charts or software has improved the game or ruined the game? Or do we really need assistance to be a successful online poker player?

CardsChat ambassador @Ashley Sleeth has weighed in on this as well. One of her videos is posted below.

Share some of your ideas and/or thoughts.

Have a good day.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think most higher level players use GTO based tools to create a baseline of actions to take in a given preflop or postflop situation, or to adjust decisions based on ICM factors in the final stages of a tournament. This baseline is just a way to understand optimal vs optimal play, so most of the "decision-making' or 'ability' in poker is now related to exploiting non-optimal play. It would be like a football coach having an 'optimal' play book for general matches, but then adjusting those plays in game based on the opposing teams weaknesses -tools and study programs are just a way for players to establish their own play book before hitting the pitch.