Are there any free Poker HUD's someone can recommend?

F

FlopDaNutz93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm starting to try small-field MTT's on top of my normal 9-man SnG's and I want to start using a HUD that tracks players stats, like PFR, VPIP, AF, etc.

Are there any free programs out there that do these things that you guys can recommend?

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to use pokertracker. It is a very handy program. There is a 90-day free trial. I think it may be $90 after that (US).

It is free to try, and it tracks a wealth of info for you. You can even see how much you have won/lost with any hand you ever played before.

F

FlopDaNutz93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't have to be a very good one, just one that shows me the basics on players like PFR/VPIP/AF, and works with Merge.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't know how good it is, but Carbon has one that you can download directly from their site. If I remember correctly its a version of the old Hold'em Indicator or something like that. Not sure about that bit though, but it includes a basic HUD and is available free if you are a Carbon member. Can't hurt to give it a try.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please don't create 2 threads on the same topic - merged.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Other than the aforementioned Carbon HUD which is their branded version of Hold'em Indicator (which is still around, it's just not any cheaper to buy outright than PT/HM), not really.

You'd be better off with a trial of PT/HM and then just plan to buy it even if it's the cheaper small stakes edition. A tracker/HUD can more than pay for itself in the first month, if you learn it and apply it properly. Even at small stakes. So with a properly applied trial period, you could easily earn more than enough extra to pay for it when the trial expires.

Pretty much unusable for all but the most diehard software geeks who can keep it running. And I'm a career software geek, and I don't bother. You're far better served by PokerTracker or Hold'em Manager unless you care to spend more time patching code than playing poker.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other than the aforementioned Carbon HUD which is their branded version of Hold'em Indicator (which is still around, it's just not any cheaper to buy outright than PT/HM), not really.

You'd be better off with a trial of PT/HM and then just plan to buy it even if it's the cheaper small stakes edition. A tracker/HUD can more than pay for itself in the first month, if you learn it and apply it properly. Even at small stakes. So with a properly applied trial period, you could easily earn more than enough extra to pay for it when the trial expires.

Pretty much unusable for all but the most diehard software geeks who can keep it running. And I'm a career software geek, and I don't bother. You're far better served by PokerTracker or Hold'em Manager unless you care to spend more time patching code than playing poker.

What??? Say it ain't so. DMo's software geekiness is now officially suspect. I thought you'd actually ENJOY a piece of software that you had to fiddle-with endlessly just to keep it useable:D .

Regardless, I noticed in its wiki write-up that it doesn't, or didn't at the time anyway, support Merge anyway. Something with xml hand histories or some other such geeky non-sense as that;) .

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What??? Say it ain't so. DMo's software geekiness is now officially suspect. I thought you'd actually ENJOY a piece of software that you had to fiddle-with endlessly just to keep it useable:D .

Not when it comes to poker software. I'm into poker because I enjoy playing poker, not because I enjoy coding poker software. Just using a properly functioning tracker for self-study is a big time commitment. If I also had to write code to keep it running, I'd never have time for poker. I get a paid a lot of money to write code (or, these days, to supervise the writing of code) in my day job, I'm not going to waste my poker time trying to keep my tracker working.

I'm a huge fan of free and open-source software, I use and have contributed to a ton of it, but vertical industries (like poker) can't easily support the concept of FOSS, because the maintenance costs are very high -- you're in a constant state of re-coding to keep up with all the site changes, and a free community just can't keep up. Hell it's hard enough for PT and HM to keep up with a paid, full-time staff.