Sharkscope - what exactly does it track?

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I dont use a tracker of any description, so I'm a bit lost here.
After comprehensively thrashing a guy in 4 consecutive heads up matches he started getting a bit aggressive and throwing stats into the mix. He laughed that I was a 2.5k or so loser at Full Tilt and said he hoped I had deep pockets. Well, as it happens I do, so I thrashed him at the next level up twice too before checking my stats with the free sharkscope thing... And it says that I'm down more than I am.
I know what I have deposited into FT, and while I am a losing player, it isn't by the amount they reckon. I lose most playing ring games - I only play micro's, .05/.10 at the most, so I dont take it very seriously. I lose a bit playing Super-Turbo's when I'm just in a gambling mood, but otherwise play a decent SnG game. Recently though, I've had a couple of deep runs in MTT's, taking down a 400 seat $2 game, and final tabling the $3 90 seaters and $2 180 seaters.
Does sharkscope take all variations and game types into consideration? I've deposited a good amount of dosh in smallish amounts, but also earned a load of bonuses and won a few hundred in cash through player point satellites (cashing out in the late levels). I also recieved
a pretty big transfer from a friend who needed some cash in one of his UK accounts - would that count as lost funds, even if I didn't credit the cash?
It doesn't matter to me much, just frustrating when folk think I'll be a pushover because I dont impliment much BRM or care about going busto and crediting my account every few weeks. lol. If there is one thing guaranteed to fetch out my 'A' game its one of these muppets!

Cheers all.

P

PhilJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pokeroptimizer

You can check your stats against pokeropitmizer also. It tracks sit-n-gos so you can compare against what you think your stats should be.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am not mistaken, if you have that chat in HH you can turn him in.
afaik it is against toc of most sites to open sharkscope while playing.

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter to me much, just frustrating when folk think I'll be a pushover because I dont impliment much BRM or care about going busto and crediting my account every few weeks.

I'm the same way, deep pockets and play poker (online) recreationally to pass the time. Being a single soldier with no bills stuck in Iraq, I have a significant amount of money and total monthly expenses <$20/month. That leaves my profit per month on average $2600 monthly, if I want to put a few hundred bucks in to mess around, I do so, and it's hardly a big deal if I lose it.

But to the original point I was going to make, if they want to look you up on sharkscope to see how you've been playing, that's their perrogative, but I believe using these websites is against most site's Terms and Conditions. All information about your opponents is supposed to be self-gathered, and not shared at all. But if they want to think you're a big turbo donk and don't think you have a clue about poker, let them.

It works out in your favor when your villain underestimates you, and when people say "haha you are such a big depositing loser" I smile a little bit. Because while the accounts I play on are big in the red, they span a lot of my poker career (I was admittedly a very losing player when I started), now I understand BRM, and a lot of concepts such as starting with a full stack, deep stack poker, player tendancies and stats through a HUD, sometimes without, pot odds, etc, as well as learned how to sniff out bluffs, know when I'm ahead, etc.

So if they want to look at my lifetime history of losing over the long term online, that's fine, because I've shown a gigantic profit in my live games where I find that I have an edge, compared to online where I feel I have none over the long term (I can't play <200NL, I just don't care about the money, and those players tend to be quite solid), but live I can clean up. Sharkscope my live winnings before you talk trash...

Or just talk trash and lose stack after stack to me.

jbatesm

jbatesm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wheres the problem with him thinking that you are a bad player. It doesnt matter about the past too much as long as you are playing solid at that current table then they can have all the information they want about the money i have won or lost.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I am not mistaken, if you have that chat in HH you can turn him in.
afaik it is against toc of most sites to open sharkscope while playing.
^^^^^^^this. If he is such a dik, send the chat in....

I only chat anymore if I am on a table with a player I know from games, and then only a Hi or whatever (except a few world cup chats on the side....-) and the occasional nh. I always ignore teachers and beraters. Well, maybe an occasional barb if they are real mouthy and bad too, to get them to go for me, but mainly not.

as jbatesm said, let em think u r bad, and take the chips.....

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To get back to the OP's question, Sharkscope tracks cash games ( ring ) AFAIK. How they do it when most sites do not allow data mining I have no idea.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, it's against TOS so he could get suspended or banned for repeated violations.

Transfers aren't going to be tracked. They only track tournament results. But if they happen to miss a major cash or two then your results could be more skewed towards losing.

Regardless, be glad your stats show you as a loser. You never want people knowing your real game. Now *you* on the other hand need to know your accurate stats, and for this you need to get your own tracking software like HEM or PT3. They're invaluable to the serious poker player.

To get back to the OP's question, Sharkscope tracks cash games ( ring ) AFAIK. How they do it when most sites do not allow data mining I have no idea.
In fact, just the opposite. SharkScope only tracks tournaments, not cash games, and for some sites like pokerstars you must opt-in (and can opt-out at any time) to have most of your stats made available. Like all the tracking sites, they aren't 100% reliable and miss some results, but are generally in the ballpark. And they don't datamine hands, they just screenscrape tournament results, same as OPR and most other tourney tracking sites. The only site I know of that tracks ring to any accurate degree is PTR (PokerTableRatings), and they obviously must datamine to do so. Just because datamining is against TOS doesn't stop the not-insignificant datamining industry.

mdnmdn

mdnmdn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If im not mistake you can also sign up with sharkscope, for free, and block anyone from seeing your stats.

S

sportserh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can track player stats as well as tourneys you entered and if you placed in the cash or not.

appaz86

appaz86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sharkscope is great and i truely see a big difference between long term winning players and long term direct downward diagonal line loser players

its so easy for me to know if they are winners or losers before i even search, 90% of players are long term losers... sharkscope helps make sure your reads on players abilities are correct imo

Kebo11K

Kebo11K

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can never seem to get it to work, I always seem to run into the fact that you need a membership for it to do any good?

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can never seem to get it to work, I always seem to run into the fact that you need a membership for it to do any good?
You don't need a membership to search for player stats which is what most probably use them for. You're just limited to something like 5 searches a day without a paid membership. You do need a membership to use their other premium features (I think they have a HUD, but it would be against TOS for most sites if the stats don't come from your own games).

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice guys.
I was just venting at the time, its frustrating to have a neg against my name for all to see and muppets to advertise to the table.
Its difficult to convey the fact that I dont actually care about being a losing player. I know that saying that on here is comparable to saying the 'C' word to your granny for most, but really, I enjoy rolling $100 as far as I can then re-loading as and when I need to.
Thanks for the words of advice. I'm not sure I'd turn the fella in even if I had his name, but it had occurred at the time that he'd broken the rules blatantly saying he used shark-scope.
Bottom line, I know I can play a decent game when its needed, and I do pretty well on the rare occassions I play live.
For anyone who hasn't checked yet, my graph looks like this but bigger \