Related: Calling all computer experts!

stillgotouts

stillgotouts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone!
So, I'm in need of a new laptop, and I've never had a computer that runs poker programs well, and especially not HUD'S and other software.

Budget is a slight concern, I'd like to avoid going over $2k, but other than that, I'm open to any and all options.

Your recommendations would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!!

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. Not sure why you haven't had any responses yet, and unfortunately I'm not the best one to answer your question. But I suggest that you use the Search function and put in the keyword "laptop" and set the search for Thread Titles only.

You'll get several threads that ask the same question with some answers.

Good luck!

E

EuropeanManiac

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Im playing on a macbook pro and i connect my laptop to a monitor. It works like a wonder. I recently got windows installed on my mac as well so i have the best of both worlds.

stillgotouts

stillgotouts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a 2015 Mac but it crashed or ran crazy slow running Poker Tracker. And I think a decent Mac easily blows my budget of $2k?
But the monitor thing is smart, that’s kinda the best of both worlds huh?

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a suggestion, You can go with Core i7 Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G which is one of the decent cheap laptop. it wont cost you 1k and it run smoothly for poker with HUDs, heck I was able to run GTA5 with this baby without a problem.

topcatbrazil

topcatbrazil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But what type of problems were you having when you were using HUD? Everything runing slow? It is difficult to answer the question because I dont know what you are using besides the poker programs.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
that depends where are you, in which part of the world.
You can always search for some in amazon, ebay, some kind of it computer stores, etc...
look for specs with good graphic card, at least 16gb ram, ssd hd, and either amd ryzen or intel I7//I9 9th gen

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hey everyone!
So, I'm in need of a new laptop, and I've never had a computer that runs poker programs well, and especially not HUD'S and other software.

Budget is a slight concern, I'd like to avoid going over $2k, but other than that, I'm open to any and all options.

Your recommendations would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!!

that depends where are you, in which part of the world.
You can always search for some in amazon, ebay, some kind of it computer stores, etc...
look for specs with good graphic card, at least 16gb ram, ssd hd, and either amd ryzen or intel I7//I9 9th gen

This ^ would be HUGE Overkill!!! You don't need ANYWHERE NEAR this ^ to be playing on multiple sites with 20 tables running & PT4. an i3 with 4GB Ram would be enough. Seriously!

IF you wanted to go way overboard.. an i5 with 8GB Ram would be more than you would ever need (by far!). Depending upon what else you're going to use it for, an SSD might be a nice addition.

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't need ANYWHERE NEAR this ^ to be playing on multiple sites with 20 tables running & PT4. an i3 with 4GB Ram would be enough. Seriously!
Let me not agree here. Although there is not much difference between i3 and i5 in terms of computing power usually manufacturers put slightly better parts to laptops with i5.
So whe you have a choice between two laptops of the same brand it is better to pay a little more for i5.

If you do not have a dedicated card you have to use an integrated card Intel HD Graphics,
which is a part of a processor and there is a big difference in performance of the models from last year , so you can choose i3 or i5 but with the card at least HD 620 or newer.

The integrated graphics card shares RAM memory with a processor and here 4 GB is not enough - at least 8 GB.

Also SSD became a standard drive and a laptop with SSD is much faster that the same with HDD.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Let me not agree here. Although there is not much difference between i3 and i5 in terms of computing power usually manufacturers put slightly better parts to laptops with i5.
So whe you have a choice between two laptops of the same brand it is better to pay a little more for i5.

If you do not have a dedicated card you have to use an integrated card Intel HD Graphics,
which is a part of a processor and there is a big difference in performance of the models from last year , so you can choose i3 or i5 but with the card at least HD 620 or newer.

The integrated graphics card shares RAM memory with a processor and here 4 GB is not enough - at least 8 GB.

Also SSD became a standard drive and a laptop with SSD is much faster that the same with HDD.

Perhaps you're not understanding what I've written here???

OF COURSE an i5 is more powerful than an i3 (as is 8GB Ram larger than 4GB).... BUT it is overkill for what OP is requiring (which is fine). OP is suggesting that they'd need to spend $2,000 for a laptop that could handle playing multiple tables while using PT4 & what I'm saying here is HE DOES NOT NEED THIS!
I have run 20 tournaments, with PT4 running, along with TONS of other stuff with 4GB Ram and have NEVER had even the slightest of Lag occurring. Is this what I use on my computer today? Actually for my laptop, YES IT IS (as I'm playing while writing here and also watching live stream of the Triton final table and ZERO Lag issues!). My desktop has an overclocked i5, and SSD & 8GB Ram ... but this is WAYYYYYY MORE than 'needed' to do what OP is hoping to do with a laptop.
fwiw, I've run 20+ tables on a crappy laptop with 2GB Ram & a lousy Pentium Dual-Core cpu (with an additional monitor).

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
imo an i5 is much better than an i3 ... but not necessary for poker

Integrated Graphics is just fine for poker. You don't need a dedicated GPU for poker.

fwiw, I've played on 8 different sites at the same time, 20+ tourneys on a laptop with 1GB Ram (no Lag)

stillgotouts

stillgotouts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Perhaps you're not understanding what I've written here???

OF COURSE an i5 is more powerful than an i3 (as is 8GB Ram larger than 4GB).... BUT it is overkill for what OP is requiring (which is fine). OP is suggesting that they'd need to spend $2,000 for a laptop that could handle playing multiple tables while using PT4 & what I'm saying here is HE DOES NOT NEED THIS!
I have run 20 tournaments, with PT4 running, along with TONS of other stuff with 4GB Ram and have NEVER had even the slightest of Lag occurring. Is this what I use on my computer today? Actually for my laptop, YES IT IS (as I'm playing while writing here and also watching live stream of the Triton final table and ZERO Lag issues!). My desktop has an overclocked i5, and SSD & 8GB Ram ... but this is WAYYYYYY MORE than 'needed' to do what OP is hoping to do with a laptop.
fwiw, I've run 20+ tables on a crappy laptop with 2GB Ram & a lousy Pentium Dual-Core cpu (with an additional monitor).

thank you so much for your enthusiasm everyone!

I’ve yet to pull the trigger on something, but am definitely going with a tough book because I drop my computers too regularly and want to travel with it.

I’m thinking ssd, ideally 4K graphics for some light gaming on the side (mtg arena), i5 processor just to be safe.

Is this good enough thinking or am I missing something here?

Thanks!

stillgotouts

stillgotouts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But what type of problems were you having when you were using HUD? Everything runing slow? It is difficult to answer the question because I dont know what you are using besides the poker programs.

I was running Netflix and the poker programs. Had big issues with my Mac whenever I booted up Poker tracker or Holdem manager. Not sure I just got a free trial at the time.