PT4 - Migrating data from one PC to another

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm curious if anyone has ever tried moving the data stored on PT4 from one computer to another. Have you tried - were you successful and what was the easiest approach you took to do it?

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm curious if anyone has ever tried moving the data stored on PT4 from one computer to another. Have you tried - were you successful and what was the easiest approach you took to do it?

I moved my data from my laptop to a new desktop over 6 months ago. I moved PT4 and DriveHUD , I used the step by step tutorial on the PT4 website. I also opened a support ticket with PT4, this way I had one of the techs at PT4 helping me, Opening the support ticket makes the tech guy onboard so you do not have to try and explain if something goes wrong.

My transfer went pretty smoothly, depending on size of database it can take some time. I started in the evening after my sessions so that I had overnight to transfer. I don't remember everything off the top of my head but go to PT4 and I think they have a page of "guides" or tutorials. I hope this helps a little

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I am trying to open my old support ticket so I can copy and paste the instructions. I know the first step is to open PT4 and click on database management, and you want to make a backup save it somewhere you can get to it like your desktop . If that completes without any error or problem then you can install PT4 on the new computer, don't worry about using same license it is good for 2 computers anyway.

Make sure you let POSgrel?? install again on the new computer, Oh 1 issue you may have, make sure the PostgreSQL is the same version on both computers. I think this was an issue for me. The support tech helped me work through that.

If you have 2 different PostgreSQL versions you won't be able to "restore" the database you backed up. Here is the steps from Mike at PT4

To do that go to the old setup and:

1. Create a folder like this:

C:\exported_hands

Go into C:\exported_hands and create these subfolders:

cash
tourneys

2. See this for exporting: https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4/tutorials/exporting-your-database

What you want to do is:

A) Click "Database -> Database Management", click your old database line then 'Set Active' if it doesn't already show that.

B) Close that window, click "Database -> Export hands". Send cash exports to the 'cash' folder you made in #1, tournament exports to the 'tourneys' folder.

Close/restart your PokerTracker4 when you're done so it will revert to the main database.

3. Compress that C:\exported_hands folder: https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4/general/how-to-submit-a-bug-report#compressing-files

Leave the original intact on the old machine. IF this is all too confusing, open a support ticket and those guys will make it seem simple.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am trying to open my old support ticket so I can copy and paste the instructions. I know the first step is to open PT4 and click on database management, and you want to make a backup save it somewhere you can get to it like your desktop . If that completes without any error or problem then you can install PT4 on the new computer, don't worry about using same license it is good for 2 computers anyway.

Make sure you let POSgrel?? install again on the new computer, Oh 1 issue you may have, make sure the PostgreSQL is the same version on both computers. I think this was an issue for me. The support tech helped me work through that.

If you have 2 different PostgreSQL versions you won't be able to "restore" the database you backed up. Here is the steps from Mike at PT4

To do that go to the old setup and:

1. Create a folder like this:

C:\exported_hands

Go into C:\exported_hands and create these subfolders:

cash
tourneys

2. See this for exporting: https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4/tutorials/exporting-your-database

What you want to do is:

A) Click "Database -> Database Management", click your old database line then 'Set Active' if it doesn't already show that.

B) Close that window, click "Database -> Export Hands". Send cash exports to the 'cash' folder you made in #1, tournament exports to the 'tourneys' folder.

Close/restart your PokerTracker4 when you're done so it will revert to the main database.

3. Compress that C:\exported_hands folder: https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4/general/how-to-submit-a-bug-report#compressing-files

Leave the original intact on the old machine. IF this is all too confusing, open a support ticket and those guys will make it seem simple.
That is fantastic info and I will for sure open a ticket with support. Much appreciated!!!

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It really is not that complicated, I have done it a few times without a problem. Just run a backup and save to a thumb drive ;)
But may I make a suggestion...Don't
I normally don't keep a database for more than 2 years,
I figure that people are improving and adjusting their play so it makes little sense to keep old stats. That's just my opinion and so take it as you will but is something to consider.
I plan on starting a new DB for April am due anyway but figure will start a new one after we get Ring Fenced:(

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really is not that complicated, I have done it a few times without a problem. Just run a backup and save to a thumb drive ;)
But may I make a suggestion...Don't
I normally don't keep a database for more than 2 years,
I figure that people are improving and adjusting their play so it makes little sense to keep old stats. That's just my opinion and so take it as you will but is something to consider.
I plan on starting a new DB for April am due anyway but figure will start a new one after we get Ring Fenced:(

I understand your point about player behavior changing, but the main reason I keep my entire database is to track my results over time. I always go back and reset my "stats" to only the last 6 months or whatever I think is relevant. It is only a matter of a few mouse clicks vs dumping all your data . Just my personal opinion