Are Poker HUDs Unethical?

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Curious to hear some responses from players that use HUDs as well as players that do not.

I personally have never used any software to "help" me while playing online, but I find it interesting that it is so widely accepted, and in fact even encouraged to use these types of software.

All in all, the decision you make during a hand is up to you, not the software. But I do believe the software can have a big influence on what players end up doing. In years past, poker was a much more simple game, but times have changed. Do you think this is due to these new HUDs? Do you think you have an edge over an opponent while using a HUD?

Finally, do you think it is better or worse for the game, and how do you think this software will evolve in the future for poker?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Curious to hear some responses from players that use HUDs as well as players that do not.

I personally have never used any software to "help" me while playing online, but I find it interesting that it is so widely accepted, and in fact even encouraged to use these types of software.

All in all, the decision you make during a hand is up to you, not the software. But I do believe the software can have a big influence on what players end up doing. In years past, poker was a much more simple game, but times have changed. Do you think this is due to these new HUDs? Do you think you have an edge over an opponent while using a HUD?

Finally, do you think it is better or worse for the game, and how do you think this software will evolve in the future for poker?

They are not unethical they are a tool that EVERYONE can use if they so choose. I've had this discussion MANY times before so I'm not going to go in depth here.

You absolutely have an edge over your opponent if you're using one and your opponent is not, conversely if your opponent doesn't know how to properly use their HUD you have an advantage over them as well.

Do I think it's better or worse for the game? I think it's worse for the game, not sure how it will evolve in the future.

I'll end with this if you have the ability to gain information on an opponent DO IT in whatever way that may be.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They are not unethical they are a tool that EVERYONE can use if they so choose. I've had this discussion MANY times before so I'm not going to go in depth here.

You absolutely have an edge over your opponent if you're using one and your opponent is not, conversely if your opponent doesn't know how to properly use their HUD you have an advantage over them as well.

Do I think it's better or worse for the game? I think it's worse for the game, not sure how it will evolve in the future.

I'll end with this if you have the ability to gain information on an opponent DO IT in whatever way that may be.

Pretty much covers it I would say. :top:

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

How about players who do not have access to a HUD but want to play the game? Mobile users can't use a HUD, for example, and are at a disadvantage. I personally don't view HUD use as unethical, but asking more as a devil's advocate of sorts for this discussion.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How about players who do not have access to a HUD but want to play the game? Mobile users can't use a HUD, for example, and are at a disadvantage. I personally don't view HUD use as unethical, but asking more as a devil's advocate of sorts for this discussion.

What about those who don't have the time, patience, desire, temperament, family situation, bankroll, whatever, that's their problem, not yours or mine. :flute:

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What about those who don't have the time, patience, desire, temperament, family situation, bankroll, whatever, that's their problem, not yours or mine. :flute:
I think that's a tangent to the discussion that deals with the issue of ethics by ignoring it.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Those players are choosing to play a game where they know that others on that site will have a statistical advantage over them on a device that isn't capable "at this time" to give them the same statistics as they could get playing the software elsewhere.

They were not forced into playing on their phone. They chose too. In this day and age computers are available for a cheaper price than a cell phone. So if the player "CHOOSES" to play on their phone at a disadvantage then that is their "CHOICE"

I don't mind the devil advocate questions at all. especially on stances I feel strongly about.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes they are. you are suppose to use your memory to make decisions not have software track it for you.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Those players are choosing to play a game where they know that others on that site will have a statistical advantage over them on a device that isn't capable "at this time" to give them the same statistics as they could get playing the software elsewhere.

They were not forced into playing on their phone. They chose too. In this day and age computers are available for a cheaper price than a cell phone. So if the player "CHOOSES" to play on their phone at a disadvantage then that is their "CHOICE"

I don't mind the devil advocate questions at all. especially on stances I feel strongly about.
That is fair. At some point I think phones and computers will be comparable in terms of what kind of software each can house for the purposes of poker stat tracking. Players can choose not to use a HUD and be at a disadvantage (assuming they don't actively and intentionally counter this by developing misleading HUD stats to deceive HUD users).

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is fair. At some point I think phones and computers will be comparable in terms of what kind of software each can house for the purposes of poker stat tracking. Players can choose not to use a HUD and be at a disadvantage (assuming they don't actively and intentionally counter this by developing misleading HUD stats to deceive HUD users).

Sure, if a stat tracker that intentionally skews results comes out that would be "unethical"

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I guess the next step would be anti-HUD features that coach players on how to play against their villains' HUD-generated stats. Ultimately the humans just get replaced by robots.

H

hookmeout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
May be but HUD is very useful to analyse your own game and fix any leaks.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker has always and will always be about making adjustments,,,,Hud or no hud.I say if it helps you win a few more hands,then go for it,,,:ciao: Me,,,,i do ok w/o one.

B

bttrkks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker has always and will always be about making adjustments,,,,Hud or no hud.I say if it helps you win a few more hands,then go for it,,,:ciao: Me,,,,i do ok w/o one.

Have you ever tried one? I thought also a hud is not necessary, but i have PT4 now since a week and my results are just way way way better. I make good decisions on Folds and TILT not so often anymore. I played yesterday a little without it and i coudnt stand it anymore. Its just your best friend in Online-Poker.

500hpawd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it does give an edge but I don't think its unethical. Growing up were all taught to use everything we can to get better at what we do and this is just another tool. On the other hand it has made the games harder online since people know how you play once they've logged so many hands against you, I do think it makes players change up their styles though which I think is good for the progression of the game

B

bigmido

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
take notes is very important so you do it by yourself or with program same i think ,
but if you don`t yake that notes you have aproblem

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't use one , and don't think they should be allowed .because you can't use it in a live game . But since they are allowed and accepted I don't resent anyone that uses them . If it is in the rules everyone has the option to use them and that's fair .

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Huds

If your grinding to make a living then I think is a must. But if your playing because you enjoy the game I don't think you need one. Can they benefit from it yes. I've learned that recently when it was explained to me how he new my tendencies from his tracker. I was stumped because I hadn't played with him that I knew of. He explained after so many hands he gathered information.new how often i folded to 3 bets and so on. I'm old school and I played allot of live games and you can't rely on any of that stuff. I've thought about getting one just don't know if it's for me. Let's play poker:ciao: