Is PIO worth it?

I

IshoveMyNuts

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guy, just a quick question

I've been playing poker for almost 2 years now but it was just play chips, i was just having fun and enjoying the game, until recently i stated taking it really seriously and started studding the game, and i just started playing for real money a week ago on party poker with $30

right now after using my bonus tickets and playing some sit & goes and tourneys i have $105

it seems like I'm playing well but a lot of the time i fell like i don't know the right play in a certain spot and my game relies heavily on exploitive play and if it wasn't that i was playing one table at a time for 4 hours taking notes on everyone i wouldn't have won half the money I've won

I personally fell like i need to use pio solver and analyze my game because some times i have no clue what I'm doing and what my equity is against my opponent's range and if iam making the right plays or not, but last time i checked it was $250 and that is far beyond my bankroll, and GTO+ was $75 which is like 3 weeks of work for me bc I'm living in egypt

so do you guys think i need GTO+ or PIO at my level right now and if i do, do you guys have any another software suggestions that are suitable for my bankroll

and if i don't need it now at what stakes would i need it?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Welcome to CardsChat IshoveMyNuts,

I'm assuming that you don't have any software at this point? Have you tried the free Equilab? it doesn't tell you what to do but it helps you to understand your equity.

There is nothing wrong with exploitative play if that works for you in a given situation. In those moments a solver might actually give a bad advice.

Personally I do have GTO+ but I rarely use it. There are so many more important things that I should cram into my brain first - but I'm lazy.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't know. I don't use programs and I don't take notes. If necessary, then do it. From 30 to 105 dollars is not much. Some from 1 to 10 000 reach and then all lose. This is usually the case in poker. For me, the most important thing is my mental and physical condition. In theory, I do not see any benefit. The benefit is only for those who sell various courses or video master classes.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I've been playing poker for almost 2 years now but it was just play chips, i was just having fun and enjoying the game, until recently i stated taking it really seriously and started studding the game, and i just started playing for real money a week ago on party poker with $30

right now after using my bonus tickets and playing some sit & goes and tourneys i have $105

it seems like I'm playing well but a lot of the time i fell like i don't know the right play in a certain spot and my game relies heavily on exploitive play and if it wasn't that i was playing one table at a time for 4 hours taking notes on everyone i wouldn't have won half the money I've won

I personally fell like i need to use pio solver and analyze my game because some times i have no clue what I'm doing and what my equity is against my opponent's range and if iam making the right plays or not, but last time i checked it was $250 and that is far beyond my bankroll, and GTO+ was $75 which is like 3 weeks of work for me bc I'm living in egypt

so do you guys think i need GTO+ or PIO at my level right now and if i do, do you guys have any another software suggestions that are suitable for my bankroll

Just by how you phrased the question I suspect PIO is not a good option for you. This does not mean you should not learn as much as you can about it an utilize any learning methods you can find about it. But most of the people I am aware of that use PIO are pretty much pro's. And it looks pretty complicated to use efficiently. Just my perspective on it at this point.

I would suggest checking out this tutorial on it and see if this is something that really would be useful to you.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I've been playing poker for almost 2 years now but it was just play chips, i was just having fun and enjoying the game, until recently i stated taking it really seriously and started studding the game,...

Here is the path I took here.

It is absolutely essential that you understand equity well. This is how you play with an advantage. Just remember there is both fold equity and hand equity. You do not need a GTO solver for this. Equilab is a powerful free piece of software for this, and is a must have. The next level up from this is Flopzilla, which is also a great tool. I use both regularly.

As for PIO and GTO+ solvers, these will simulate the best play to make against a perfect player. If you are not playing against the best players, this may not help you. It is good to understand what perfect plays might look like, but exploitative play at the lowest stakes is probably best. Having said that, I had the free limited version of PIO and free limited version of GTO+ for a while, and while PIO has more to it, I would think that GTO+ is a much better value for you and I think you can pick it up for $75.

Good luck and God Bless.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Take a couple of hours and search on Youtube there is amazing free content, poker pros who are trying to sell courses will explain solvers, I personally, this is just an opinion, do not think Solvers will help you right now. It sounds like you need the basic fundamentals, learning your equity is BIG , equi-lab as someone else mentioned is free and it is something everyone needs to use and understand before moving on...even CardsChat has pages that explain pot odds , calling odds, etc. A solver is going to take you deep into the game tree, which is how we have the GTO this is game theory optimal and the solver evaluates play against another opponent who is playing optimal. Believe me, None of us playing the low to mid level buy-in tournaments are approaching balanced optimal play.

My basic recommendation search for basic odds in poker , download equi-lab, and there is other free software to help you get the hang of "odds" and take your time with this, I have listened to people talk about odds at the table and they don't even know the concepts. They learned to say the words but they have no idea how to apply them in a poker hand.

Good luck and have fun

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, its way to early in your poker career to consider getting into solvers. I have won more than 10.000$ in online poker without ever using a solver, so its certainly not like, this is nessesary to beat the lowest stakes. And at this point of time its simply just to much of an investment for you to make.

My recommendation is to invest in a tracker like PT4 first. Then later, when you have more money, I would buy ICMizer, if you play tournaments. At some points solvers, sure. But maybe not until you are regularly playing mid stakes games like 22-55$ MTTs. At stakes lower than that few if any opponents are going to be balanced, so learning to play exploitative poker well is way more important.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two pieces of advice. If you haven’t already, check out Colin and Katie becoming a winning poker player in 30 days, right here for free on CardsChat. It will answer a lot of the questions you ask and even if you’ve played for a while, there will be stuff you didn’t know. Their videos with hand analysis are very useful.

Second, if you have App capabilities, there is a free one called preflop +. You can pay to unlock more but the free part can tell you when to shove or call a shove when 15 bb or less. You put in your position for shove and your and opponent position to call shove. They also have a post flop + but I haven’t looked at that yet. Not as great as a paid hud but helpful for free til you increase your bankroll enough.

Best of luck!