Interpreting VPIP

M

MaxMx2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! I wonder if I can learn more about my opps using probably the most popular poker index. So far I use VPIP simply to see if an opp is tight or loose in general. However I'd like to understand what particular ranges an opp with certain VPIP may open.
Has anyone seen any charts which show how different VPIP values correspond to player's hand spectrum?

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Entirely player-dependent. Some will open any ace, others will be adding a lot more suited connectors and one-gappers, still others will be adding a lot of suited cards, etc.

Just the VPIP alone doesn't give an indication on how positionally aware they are. Some players are nitty in position but defend their blinds too much, others have the same VPIP in every position, still others have several weird bluffing hands (like J4o or 72o) in their range, etc.

It all depends. There's no cookie-cutter chart for this.

Why not download an equity calculator?

Ace Poker Solutions' Equity Calculator has a % slider that shows all the top hands for a certain % on a chart. You can take that as a starting point. (Note that this shows the top hands equity-wise, not necessarily the top hands people play with the same % of VPIP)

M

MaxMx2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Downloaded equity calculator and found out that ranges can really vary a lot within the same VPIP. My own ranges don't match to the pre-defined ones in this tool. For example, I don't feel like open weak aces, especially off-suited, unless I'm BTN or SM and all folded. Instead I prefer play with suited connectors more often than it's assumed in the calculator.

Also true and even more important that open and calling ranges differ greatly depending on position. That was obvious even without equity calculator, but it's good to see how it works.
By the way, at micro limits where I play, position doesn't seem to impact players decisions as much as it should, but I don't think this fact should change my game.

Anyway, TimovieMan, thank you for a good reply!