YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yo poker peeps,

I've seen Sky Matsuhashi teaching how to use equilab for Hand Reading study and also James Sweeney using Flopzilla. But i still have a real hard time figuring villain range by their actions. Is there anyone that could give some tips, references or anything related so that I could improve in such knowledge?

Much Obliged.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yo poker peeps,

I've seen Sky Matsuhashi teaching how to use equilab for Hand Reading study and also James Sweeney using Flopzilla. But i still have a real hard time figuring villain range by their actions. Is there anyone that could give some tips, references or anything related so that I could improve in such knowledge?

Much Obliged.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

Its not an easy question to answer. Its also such a deep subject and not the same for every player you play against. It will come together as you play more.

start by what you think they are playing with. If tight/ passave and raise you may say the have any pair any ace to 8s and any Broadway. If the flop is 543 rainbow and the bet what could they have. Are they being all hands or made hands? Lets say they bet all and you re raise them and they call. You know they are not calling with total junk. You may say any set, straight and over pair to the board. The turn is a 9and a 4th different suit and they bet again and you re raise them and they call. what could they have again i said there tight and there betting and calling. Do you think there doing this without some made hand. If not you take out everything that's no hand. Say you think its over pairs and sets. so then you say they most likely have a set of 3'4'5'and 9's and and pair ten to aces. ok look at straight ans straight draws? do you think they would raise 67s or A2S. If not take those out. I did say they were tight. Now there is your range. Now remember i said passive? They bet and called a re raise twice. Would they do that with over pairs? you may think yes to aces and kings but not queens to tens so you can take them out. Would they call a check raise on the flop with 9's? If not you can remove that as well. This is what they use the 2 tools to help study hand ranges. Just remember its not a exact science either.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow

Its not an easy question to answer. Its also such a deep subject and not the same for every player you play against. It will come together as you play more.

start by what you think they are playing with. If tight/ passave and raise you may say the have any pair any ace to 8s and any Broadway. If the flop is 543 rainbow and the bet what could they have. Are they being all hands or made hands? Lets say they bet all and you re raise them and they call. You know they are not calling with total junk. You may say any set, straight and over pair to the board. The turn is a 9and a 4th different suit and they bet again and you re raise them and they call. what could they have again i said there tight and there betting and calling. Do you think there doing this without some made hand. If not you take out everything that's no hand. Say you think its over pairs and sets. so then you say they most likely have a set of 3'4'5'and 9's and and pair ten to aces. ok look at straight ans straight draws? do you think they would raise 67s or A2S. If not take those out. I did say they were tight. Now there is your range. Now remember i said passive? They bet and called a re raise twice. Would they do that with over pairs? you may think yes to aces and kings but not queens to tens so you can take them out. Would they call a check raise on the flop with 9's? If not you can remove that as well. This is what they use the 2 tools to help study hand ranges. Just remember its not a exact science either.

Wow Luvepoker, that's a rich reply. I really appreciate it. How how their frequencies, that also should be a villain range set up right? But I get it. It takes practice for sure. Oh yeah, another thing. How do you filter which hands to study this?

Really man, I really appreciate your reply and wish you the fattest pots.

Best regards.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

during the game there is no way to check the hand with this program. And after the tournament, I check the most contested hands to see if I played them mathematically correctly

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I start with standard ranges. You can find these on various poker sites. Then I will adjust them based on opponent tendencies. If I see him showdown a hand outside the range I have assigned I will widen that range. If the opponent is playing very nitty or tight I will narrow the range. When doing this work in Equilab or Flopzilla the important thing is to just get close. It will never be a perfect range. The main goal is to see how our range interacts with various flops as well as the range of our opponent.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
during the game there is no way to check the hand with this program. And after the tournament, I check the most contested hands to see if I played them mathematically correctly

Sorry buddy, check the hand?

No, Equilab isn't allowed to run simultaneously with any poker App and neither Flopzilla.
There's no app that allow you to check the hand by any means, that would even take away the purpose of the game right?
A game where the the villain's cards are closed to everyone else right?
A game of incomplete information as its called.
Maybe you meant villain's ranging?

I'm talking about after game study of course.

Uh, I don't do hand reading study for tournaments actually, I play mostly 2NL 6MAX.

So how's that "checking the most contested hands to see if played mathematically correct" way of yours?
You're using GTO?
Is that what it is?

Didn't quite get what you meant by your reply bud.
Please, help me grasp it.

Much obliged.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I start with standard ranges. You can find these on various poker sites. Then I will adjust them based on opponent tendencies. If I see him showdown a hand outside the range I have assigned I will widen that range. If the opponent is playing very nitty or tight I will narrow the range. When doing this work in Equilab or Flopzilla the important thing is to just get close. It will never be a perfect range. The main goal is to see how our range interacts with various flops as well as the range of our opponent.

Okay.

Seems a lot of work though.
You have a standard range and you adapt it to villains tendencies?
So you play single table?

Where do you have these ranges?
Are they glued to your wall, are they at an extra screen?

And uh, is really such thing as a standard range?

I know that there's quite a good number of range by position charts out there but anyone with a little experience would deviate from it so they're not exploitable.

I really appreciate you sharing bud.
Wish you the fattest pots.

P

pepomjp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry I just follow my feelings and experience of many years playing poker.

Yo poker peeps,

Much Obliged.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is work you do when you are not playing. It would be impossible to use a tool like Equilab or Flopzilla while you are playing. Take hands that gave you trouble or hands that surprised you and then break them done using these tools. This work will give you a good basis for reading hands while playing.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is work you do when you are not playing. It would be impossible to use a tool like Equilab or Flopzilla while you are playing. Take hands that gave you trouble or hands that surprised you and then break them done using these tools. This work will give you a good basis for reading hands while playing.

And where's the part where I say that I want to use these during game play?

You're the second person telling me that, if you spent a little time checking the latest posts reply you wouldn't write that.

Anyways, thanks man.

I've improved a lot on hand reading since the first time I posted this thread. Been using Flopzilla and even got Splitsuit sheets for hand reading study. Been filtering the hands I want to study at PT4 and getting pretty good at it.

Once again I appreciate your time and effort to reply my thread, you have a good one.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Are there scripts to input hands and ranges without manually doing it? My goal is to visually see many scenarios and I feel it would be a colossal waste of time entering each by hand for what I am trying to see.

Thanks

Last edited:
YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are there scripts to input hands and ranges without manually doing it? My goal is to visually see many scenarios and I feel it would be a colossal waste of time entering each by hand for what I am trying to see.

Thanks

Not quite sure of what you're saying but maybe you want to build a range at the app?

The input for the hands are pretty simple actually doesn't take much time.

But for hand reading which is it's best use of you should use range input then and can be done with a few clicks.

Let me know if you want me to guide you through.

Peace.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well if someone actually does during the game that is impressive but I don't think it can be managed without another software probably which is pretty much not legal

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yo poker peeps,

Much Obliged.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

I dont know if this has been mentioned, and it is kinda off topic as it has nothing to do with a hand replayer or review. But it does have to do with reading players.

Its time consuming and can be boring but I think it help a lot in getting thinking happening.

Open up the site of your choice, and find a table at the stakes you play and just watch. Look at every player in every hand and put each of them on a range and narrow that range down as much as you think and when the hand goes to showdown, see how close or far you were. After a while, players tendencies become clearer when you are not involved. You start saying "How can you fold that" or "How can you call that" and so on.

And when you are way off the mark, you can see where you derailed in your thinking a lot easier when you are just an observer.

But, as I said, it can be boring as well......

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands