HUD information, how reliable?

K

Kroeska

Enthusiast
Total posts
Hi! I play with PT4. Of course I base my decisions on the stats, but how much can I rely on this when an opponent knows that, for example, I play aggresive or use a HUD himself.
For example, the percentage that Villian has made 3Bet is over all the hands this player played where I sat at the table, not how many times he did 3B specifically against me, right? So maybe he 3B me more often, but the 3B stat of him is much lower.

Maybe my thought is completely wrong, sorry for that in advance.

Regards Casper

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
It is completely true, that HUD stats only tell, what the opponent has done in the past, not what he is doing right now. In that sense its no different from more manual reads. Sometimes people mix up their game deliberately, which was traditionally called "changing gears". And other times it depends on their mood. Maybe they play more wild right now, because they are drunk or tilted. Or they let someone else use their account, even its against the TOS.

You also need to be aware of sample size. If someone has been 3-betting 15% of hands, but its 1 out of 7, then this does not really mean anything. You can start to look at VPIP and PFR fairly early like after 10-20 hands, but other stats often require 100 hands or even 1.000 hands, before they start to mean anything at all.

All of this might sound very negative, but its not really. I still think, a HUD is a very usefull tool, but you just need to know, how to use it and avoid the trap of over adjusting. Whenever you are not sure, then just take the standard line, which you would use against an unknown. Hope this helps :)

K

Kroeska

Enthusiast
Total posts
It is completely true, that HUD stats only tell, what the opponent has done in the past, not what he is doing right now. In that sense its no different from more manual reads. Sometimes people mix up their game deliberately, which was traditionally called "changing gears". And other times it depends on their mood. Maybe they play more wild right now, because they are drunk or tilted. Or they let someone else use their account, even its against the TOS.

You also need to be aware of sample size. If someone has been 3-betting 15% of hands, but its 1 out of 7, then this does not really mean anything. You can start to look at VPIP and PFR fairly early like after 10-20 hands, but other stats often require 100 hands or even 1.000 hands, before they start to mean anything at all.

All of this might sound very negative, but its not really. I still think, a HUD is a very usefull tool, but you just need to know, how to use it and avoid the trap of over adjusting. Whenever you are not sure, then just take the standard line, which you would use against an unknown. Hope this helps :)

Thanks a lot for your reply, it will help! Have a nice day:):jd4: