HoldemGenius Odds Calculator

V

venturer49

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone tried using this odds calculator? I have, and within limits, it seems pretty good, if not the best I've seen out there.

It seems to support more sites than the others, it supports multi-table play (CPU speed seems to be the only limiting factor), and it gives you lots of options, including setting your style of play: tight - loose, preflop and post-flop, and more. It will work out pot vs draw odds, and tell you when to call, fold, raise, check, call a small bet, etc. It claims to follow betting patterns and fold depth (when in the hand your opponents folded).

Though it does all this pretty well, you need to be careful not to follow its advice to the letter: the pot odds may say call, but if your observation of the betting pattern in a given hand tells you your hand is beaten, follow your own advice, not the pot odds maths (I learned that one quickly!).

It's certainly saved me a lot of money by making me fold losing hands in time, if nothing else.

I'd be interested in comments from anyone else out there who's tried it.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to actually use my brain.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah auto odds calculators are a great learning tool they just take away an advantage an experienced player has. Of course they are here to stay so no real sense in crying :musicus:

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never used one of these and doubt I ever will. Remember, you are playing your opponent a lot of the time, not your outs and odds. You gotta play on instinct and make the right call when you think you are ahead

They are a good starting point for beginners tho, as they help you to calculate these things quickly but with a bit of experience you can do this in your head within seconds

Also, you cant take a calculator to a live table with you! Or can you?? Never thought about that!

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Used one of these calculators for a session once, and immediatly uninstalled the bloody piece of crap. Playing the odds all the time is all well and good, but you will never steal a pot with it, it will never teach you to slow play, and god forbid you will get eaten alive with it heads up.

V

venturer49

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree that it's better to use your brain, that you can't take an odds calculator with you to a live game, and that you have to play the players and not just the cards and the odds. But if, as I do, you play almost exclusively on line, where there's not much time to think, I've found it useful, as a relative beginner, in that I think I've acquired a better "mental map" of what makes a playable hand than I had before, and that learning process has cost me marginally less money (!).

The big drawback for me is that it makes you lazy about doing the mental arithmetic, and you get out of practice with that, so I don't think I'll use it long term.

A

aimbot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can actually agree on that it can make you lazy and just follow the sometimes stupid advice that it gives you, but if I'm actually just falls out and doesn't really play - isn't it a tool that you should follow? I think it's tight as hell (i haven't changed the options) and you won't loose that much money with it. I'm not following all advices and still play the opponents more than just the odds - but it actually keeps me updated on the odds all the time. have you seen any misscalculations from Holdem Genius?

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried this thing out, the advice it gives you for how to play the hand postflop is pretty terrible. The hands it recommends playing are also off in their rankings and what hands you should be playing by position are off. It's not bad for new players in selecting starting hands, but it doesn't have any good strategic suggestions like suggesting a check/raise instead of a bet or check/fold, and if you were playing the way it suggests you wouldn't be mixing up your play at all as it has only one strategy for each situation instead of call 40%, raise 60% of the time or something like that. So I'd say it's little if any better for new players than a hand chart would be and the postflop advice is just crap. For more advanced players I'd say it's probably worthless.

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use it occasionally, and have found it to help somewhat (as I have been educated by better players - I use it less and less) Mine does not work with bodog since they changed the table appearance. And I learned quickly not to call just based on pot odds

G

Guittars

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as someone stated above -avoid odds calculators for HU play - they'll kill your pile of chips quicker than an all in with 32o.

However, that said, I leave one running when I'm playing tournaments - basically to help me to quickly work out whether I should be calling a flush or straight draw. In tournaments especially, if you follow it's 'advice', you're likely to lose more often than not imo.

G

A

aimbot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's more or less my point - it's great for a beginners but can also be useful even though your an experienced player. I would say that it's not the advice that's the best thing - it's the calculations (duh?). You can't follow a standard advice on every hand or you'll be read like an open book - but what do you expect - a software that will tell you when to bluff and start laying traps? hehe.

i'm a semi-noob but even I have noticed the calculators disadvantages when your less than 5 ppl at the table - but it's really good to have when there are 6+ at the table.

I saw that the calculator you've linked to on learntexasholdem wasn't Holdem Genius - you can find that software here (the sites seems to be down tho): www.holdemgenius.com.

/Lazy odds calculator guy

Poker Odds Calculator Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules