Holdem Manager 2 Database Corrupted (Again)

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holdem Manager 2 Database Corrupted (Again)

I have Holdem Manager 2 Pro and Omaha Manager 2 Pro Combo.

My problem is that my database gets corrupted (usually after updating the software). This is the 5th time and I'm tired of it. I had to reimport all my hands from the Archives each time.

What's the best way to avoid that corruption problem when updating?

I'm seriously thinking about buying Poker Tracker since I'm losing so much time fixing HM2 problems.

BTW I have an Intel I5 with a 1 Tera HD running Windows 7.

RDB

RDB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Installing an HM2 update will normally not affect the database. I think the last database update included was 1/2 a year ago.
What exactly happens to your database when you say its corrupt?
Are you using any tools like ccleaner, tuneup... to opimize or tune your computer?

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have many problems with the database.

For example, I played a ton of tournaments and SNGs on 888 Poker but they almost all disappeared.

When there are too many hands to import, at start HM2 just won't import them all even after waiting a long time. I have to close it and start it again to restart the process of import.

I use CC Cleaner and JV16 registry cleaner and my computer works just fine with every other software I got.

Should I try deleting all databases, uninstall HM2 and Postgress then reinstall them. Then import all my hands from the archives again?

RDB

RDB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not familiar with that registry cleaner, but have never been a fan of them in general. I have seen many times when things are deleted that should not be.

Please see this FAQ to alleviate any security bottlenecks:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/2561/Set+Correct+Permissions+on+files+and+folders+HM2+use

You can try a clean postgres install as well:

Please uninstall postgresql.

1) Open the command prompt, running as administrator (right click it in start - accessories, choose run as administrator)

2) Type:

net user postgres /del

hit enter

3) restart

4) Now reinstall postgres.

if there is another issue, check control panel - system - administrative tools - event viewer and send us any errors that show at the time you tried to install postgres.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I update HM2 regularly and have been running on the same database for probably 1.5-2 years now, so many many updates. Something must be going on with your system that leads to this, as it's not common behavior as far as I know.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I update HM2 regularly and have been running on the same database for probably 1.5-2 years now, so many many updates. Something must be going on with your system that leads to this, as it's not common behavior as far as I know.
Nice to know it works for someone.

Do you use the automatic update inside HM2 or do you download it from the website directly?

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, I have an issue with HM2 Bug corrections vs Bloated improvements.

There is a known bug (easy to fix) involving the calculation of split pots in PLO8 with PKR (issue 7077). This is a BASIC calculation issue simple to fix and it has been known for years but still not fixed.

While we have tons of useless features being developed in the already bloated HM2. They should instead concentrate in the basic bug corrections.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always auto-update, with few exceptions. For example, recently I updated my desktop to Windows 8.1 and had to reinstall everything. I first installed PostgreSQL and pointed it at my existing data directory, then installed the full version of HM2 after downloading it. But in between those types of full installs, I always run the auto-updater.

As to the issue of implementing new features instead of bug fixes, I can agree on a lot of points. However, playing Devil's Advocate here, as someone who works on the other side of the fence (developing software), there are many variables that dictate the priority on how things are fixed. If the value of a new feature is thought to outweigh the value of fixing a longstanding bug that might impact a relatively small number of users, decisions are made that don't always favor fixing things first. This isn't an issue unique to HM -- I've witnessed and experienced it with many commercial applications and internal corporate applications, and from both sides (both consumer and developer). It's often a "cultural" thing with a development team.

It does get frustrating, and I've certainly given the HM and PT guys some amount of grief over the years for not addressing what is clearly a simple fix (I've even offered sample code before that I demonstrated as a cleaner solution to their approach on something), but at the same time I know that I don't know the whole picture and I do recognize that their priorities don't necessarily align with mine.

RDB

RDB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your database is regularly being corrupted then it is possible your postgresql installation is damaged somehow. It would not surprise me if one of your registry cleaners was to blame. I use ccleaner but I do not use the registry cleaner portion of it. I would suggest you try reinstalling postgresql as suggested earlier by another tech and stop using the registry cleaning tools once it is reinstalled.

Regards,

fozzy71

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each time I run HM2 and even after I closed it my system becomes totally unstable and I have to reboot.

My registry cleaner is good. Every other software works on my computer except HM2 so I think I'm done trying to fix it.

I can't believe I chose the bloated resource hog HM2 over Poker Tracker; my mistake!

Is there a competitive offer to switch to Poker Tracker when one has HM2?

What is the best procedure to switch from HM2 to Poker Tracker and import all my hands from HM2 from Archives of course since my database is messed up?

RDB

RDB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you tried uninstalling or disabling the registry cleaner portions of the software you mentioned and reinstalled postgresql as we suggested? You need to get your computer to a state that we know should work with HM2. HM2 is a very complex software and some 3rd party software can conflict with our software and/or the open-source database we use (which PT also uses).

I also noticed we haven't asked you which security software you are using. These programs can also cause conflicts.

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Many of those free Norton, Mcaffee, Comodo, Zonealarm, Avira, Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, etc, 'internet security' bundles will not work well with Holdem Manager.

Please do the following steps, so we can get your computer to a state that we know will work with Holdem Manager:

1) Uninstall any 3rd party security software bundles.
2) Reboot your computer
3) Please install the latest version: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Holdem_Manager_2_Beta.exe
4) Enable Windows Firewall's recommended settings through your Control Panel, turn off Windows Defender, and add firewall exceptions for HM and SQL - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1052/Windows+Firewall+{47}+Defender+Problems
5) Install Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus/malware protection and update it - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

If replacing the security software, disabling/uninstalling the registry cleaners, and then reinstalling the postgresql database does not help we can consider a remote support session but we need to get your computer to a stable/reliable point first to be sure it is not caused by a software conflict and to save us time in a remote support session.

Please email hm2support@holdemmanager.com, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer session. Please let us know when you are available in GMT time for a teamviewer session - http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/gmt.html

Please remember that we schedule a couple days in advance and need to fit into our schedules. So give us a few days' range of times and notice.

Download the Teamviewer Quick Support Module - http://www.holdemmanager.com/teamviewer.

Please read this important information before our teamviewer session. We cannot do the teamviewer session until all those issues are addressed below:
1 - Make sure you have updated your windows using the "Windows Update" feature http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5
* - Make sure windows is fully updated until 'No New Important Updates are Found' (this may require multiple restarts and multiple 'check for updates'), including Internet Explorer 9 (even if you use a different web browser) and change your Windows Control Panel > Regional Settings Format to English (USA).
2 - Make sure Holdem Manager is updated to the latest version http://www.holdemmanager.com/store/downloads-manuals.php
3 - Please make sure you have access to a good connection, we cannot provide support on really slow connections
4 - Please allow us full access otherwise it slows down the speed at which we can fix the issue

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice of you to offer all this but HM2 is the ONLY software presently on my computer that gives me trouble.

It is HM2's responsibility to test the software with popular AV/security packages.

I think I'm gonna uninstall HM2 and try Poker Tracker. If it does what I want without bugging my system I'll wait for some promo deal and buy it.

I can always come back to HM2 if PT is worse but I doubt it. I've seen many comments on this forum that PT runs way lighter then HM2.

Aside from that, the main reason I bought HM2 over PT was that it supported PKR (I was grinding there at the time). BUT PKR does not save tourney results info so HM2 is useless for tourneys at PKR.

And HM2 has a bug (issue 7077) which gives false results for PLO8 (the game I play there).

Playing poker is fun, debugging HM2 is not. HM2 seriously dropped the ball when it bloated the software with all sorts of gizmos just as selling arguments.

RDB

RDB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We tested it thoroughly with lots of popular av/fw software programs and it is the results of those tests and feedback from other customers that led to my previous answers to you. We can only do so much to make our software work with some of these security software programs. Some of them are over-zealous (IMO) and are going to see our software as a threat due to the nature of our software. Setting exceptions/exclusions in their software for our program as explained in our FAQs will often solve the conflicts but not always so we often ask customers to uninstall them to make sure it is not the cause of their problems.

Your problems actually sound like conflicts between your choice in security software (which you still haven't mentioned) and postgresql which we have no control over. That is something the security software and postgresql need to work on with each other to resolve. If you are unwilling to follow my instructions to uninstall the security software temporarily to determine if it is in fact the cause of the problems there isn't much we can do to help you.

I wish you good luck in which ever path you choose. If there is anything else we can do to help you please send us an email and we will be glad to work with you directly to try and solve any of your problems. While we do check this forum daily you will get faster replies generally if you send us an email as we only have 1 or 2 people monitoring this forum in contrast to our email channel where we have an entire team of employees monitoring for customer emails.

Regards,

fozzy71

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules