Equity

Iggykiddo

Iggykiddo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
How does this equity training program work?

Do I count my hand value as it will go in the third street on a show down or do I count my equity in this program like who of Villain and Hero got most equity on flop?

Like example below, I currently got 22,9% chance to win the hand on showdown or do I have a 22,9% chance that I got the best hand on flop?

5594aa076a7acf8ba75d077f571bbaa3.png

https://gyazo.com/5594aa076a7acf8ba75d077f571bbaa3

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The equity means that 22,9 % is your chance to win the hand on showdown against villain's range.
In this example villain's range has a significant edge on you.
In most situations you would not want to continue in this hand.

Iggykiddo

Iggykiddo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The equity means that 22,9 % is your chance to win the hand on showdown against villain's range.
In this example villain's range has a significant edge on you.
In most situations you would not want to continue in this hand.

Thanks for your reply :)

So if we would go check check check or ALL IN from flop I would win with my hand 22,9% of the time?

I understand the equity change on the turn ofc.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As the above poster says.

Take care to focus on villain's range if you want to get anything out of it

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
poker knowledge

up until a few months ago i didn't know nor understand the term equity in poker, must say that poker knowledge has helped me improve drastically in poker on the whole, knowing when to fold, bluff, and overall knowing that all hands are 50/50. it takes skill to make a good player fold the best hand lol

Patoamz95

Patoamz95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the program tells you the percentage you have to get the best hand in the show down or rather the percentage you have to win, let's bear in mind that you do not know your opponent's hand so what the program does is a calculation of outs and pot odds

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... what the program does is a calculation of outs and pot odds

I am not sure you got the "pot odds" part of this right. There are no pot odds here, as equilab has no knowledge of pot size or bet size in this trainer.

How does this Equity training program work?....

This is simply the players chance of winning the hand at showdown. Equilab runs thousands (or millions) of simulations with various opponent cards and turns and rivers and gives you the result of times you would win if you get to showdown.

This is a very good trainer to build up your equity estimating skills. I would recommend to every one to test your skills by doing 10 or 20 tests a day, keep track of your results and see how close you really can get. I find it quite difficult to consistently be within 5% of the real number without using any software to do so. Being wrong helps us learn what we are missing and we can learn from that.

Good luck and God bless.

Iggykiddo

Iggykiddo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure you got the "pot odds" part of this right. There are no pot odds here, as equilab has no knowledge of pot size or bet size in this trainer.

This is simply the players chance of winning the hand at showdown. Equilab runs thousands (or millions) of simulations with various opponent cards and turns and rivers and gives you the result of times you would win if you get to showdown.

This is a very good trainer to build up your equity estimating skills. I would recommend to every one to test your skills by doing 10 or 20 tests a day, keep track of your results and see how close you really can get. I find it quite difficult to consistently be within 5% of the real number without using any software to do so. Being wrong helps us learn what we are missing and we can learn from that.

Good luck and God bless.

Hi,

Why does the % differ from each other?

https://gyazo.com/20b18a8544ade4c06288628b03c6f467

3.4% & 4,3% what does it mean?

https://gyazo.com/e3fecd0858c180587fce9e110d62bede

30% 60%

Last edited:
NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,
Why does the % differ from each other?
https://gyazo.com/20b18a8544ade4c06288628b03c6f467
3.4% & 4,3% what does it mean?
https://gyazo.com/e3fecd0858c180587fce9e110d62bede
30% 60%

Absolute Difference is "Equity1 - Equity2". This is how far off our estimate was.
Relative Difference is the factored difference "(Equity1/Equity2) - 1.00". The is the % that one number is larger than the other.

Abs Diff.: 78.9 - 75.5 = 3.4
Rel. Diff: ( 78.9 / 75.5 ) - 1.0 = 4.5