Is a HUD good or bad in the long run?

D

dkoeberl1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing online tournaments and cash games for a while now, and every time I consider using a HUD I have opted out and gone 'freestyle,' because when I transition into live play, I dominate.

I know the HUD is beneficial for gathering stats, but what happens when a player transitions into a live play?

Does the HUD actually take a player out of live games entirely?

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand what you mean by transitioning to live, but I play so MUCH more hands online that I wouldn't quit my HUD even it's kind of diminishing my skills in live play.

Keep in mind that many others may have the same problems...

R

rproctor5076

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it cant hurt but this is if u still stick to a tight range

D

dkoeberl1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it cant hurt but this is if u still stick to a tight range
what do you mean by that? I have a tight range when I multi table but I have a wider, looser calling range when one table online (or playing live)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do understand why it would be better to not use poker track HUD. I noticed I had a harder time when playing live without the HUD so decided to stop using it. That was when I started to do better live. I forced me to concentrate on the game more.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't have live poker experience but you can benefit from a HUD in the long run 100%. If you buy a HUD with a replayer then you can review your entire sessions or specific(marginal) hands. I find it very helpful for your development as a poker player overall.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a HUD helps you look at things a bit differently and is generally beneficial. I haven't noticed much of a drop between live and online personally.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand what you mean, but online play and LIVE play is far different from each other

Online you are staring at a computer screen, while LIVE you are staring into other's soul, looking for a read

For this reason, I don't think HUD is a bad thing in the long run, it's just another system to read people, but for online purposes

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The hud is good if you have enough data, it is to clarify the doubts.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If im only playing a few tables a HUD is not that beneficial to my play. If im playing lots of tables ill use my HUD to identify the type of opponent im playing against.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
As far as it concerns online poker unfortunatelly it is essential to use HUD , I wish it wasn't or it got forbade to use it sometime in the future . Now if it affects your ability to play poker on the log run especially live (maybethis is what you say) , I don't believe it personally , I think you keep on playing the same , good or bad .

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
HUD doesn't gather anything that human's eye / mind can't notice, if you play one table live/ online and pay attention, you can definitely do just fine without HUD.

When HUD is useful, is when you're multirooming / multitabling online, different tournaments, different opponents, different stages of tournaments at different tables - it's good to look quickly on stats and don't put a ton of attention/ concentration to try and recall what this CO on table 6 is playing like / what his stack is / what stacks of whole table are /should you repush or fold cuz it's bubble here while the game at table 3 has just started. You can use your time on actually thinking about your decisions and not trying to figure out this basic stuff. Obviously when you're playing one table live, you already know all of this before facing a decision, as you don't have any other sources of different information that distract you from this table. Therefore it doesn't mean that you posses some special skill if you can play fine one table without HUD live or 2-3 online.

In addition, if you're multitabling online after the same amount of time you will play a significant amount more hands over the same time you will do playing live, thus you can using your HUD to analyze your own game. Around 100k hands are more or less enough to find some tendencies and patterns and correct them if needed. How many years you will play this amount of hands live? :rolleyes: Variance play a huge role in live poker especially in MTT.

So HUD is neither good nor bad in the long run. It's essential if you're multitabling; it's useless if you don't know how to play. Maybe it will help to a solely online player to start playing a couple of tables online without HUD if he's planning on transitioning to play live only, just to get used to keeping all the info in your head, and that's it as I see it.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will be at a disadvantage if you play with a lot of the same people online, but unless someone has 1000s of hands on you, it probably won't be that big of a deal.

If you don't want to play with a HUD, make mental notes of how often players are doing certain actions. It is a lot easier to look at a HUD and see someone almost never 3bets preflops and fold, but it isn't 100% necessary

N

nunch92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like using the HUD to improve my own game. It helps to identify flaws in my play that can be exploited. When reviewing my stats, I can make adjustments that could then transfer over to live play. Without a HUD, I probably wouldn't even know the mistakes I was making in the first place, so it would take much longer to make those adjustments.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HUD is amazing if you can use this correctly, but if you're beginner you could make bad plays using the info in a bad way!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me HUD is useful in a long run. It can not stop you to also monitor the players on the table and not blindly trust on the HUD statistics. If you use HUD just as additional tool giving some more information about players it can not hurt your live game.