Chips
Last edited:
FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
World Series of Poker postponed amid coronavirus pandemic, as organizers target autumn dates.

They had to do it. Too much risk involved. Waiting is better.

A

AssasinsNick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In partypoker is rising out the King Series of Poker virtually

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
World Series of Poker postponed amid coronavirus pandemic, as organizers target autumn dates.

They had to do it. Too much risk involved. Waiting is better.

I prefer Vegas anytime of year other than summer!

But will hotel rates be reasonable??

Good luck !

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, hotel rates should be very reasonable - they are, after all, going to want to draw more people in at that time of the year to help recoup the income lost from the shutdown. The biggest challenge will be that because it's not in the summer, taking time off work for the average person that normally would during the summer may be a challenge.

So, I could see the series being even more difficult to be successful in due to the lack of recreational players that would otherwise come in June and July.

It's possible that there will be enough of an appetite for poker that it wouldn't matter that it's being held in the late fall. Given the more comfortable weather that time of the year, it might work better for many people. I've only been there in the summer and it's VERY hot, though it's a dry heat and I didn't mind it too much.

G

GrannySmit77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seemed very predictable to me that it would either be postponed or cancelled. Even if the coronavirus situation fades away by summer, players might not have the finances to afford the trip. A very small percentage of the population still had jobs during the coronavirus. Anyway, July was too hot to be in Vegas. They should leave it in the autumn for good.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hotel Rates

Yes, hotel rates should be very reasonable - they are, after all, going to want to draw more people in at that time of the year to help recoup the income lost from the shutdown. The biggest challenge will be that because it's not in the summer, taking time off work for the average person that normally would during the summer may be a challenge.

So, I could see the series being even more difficult to be successful in due to the lack of recreational players that would otherwise come in June and July.

It's possible that there will be enough of an appetite for poker that it wouldn't matter that it's being held in the late fall. Given the more comfortable weather that time of the year, it might work better for many people. I've only been there in the summer and it's VERY hot, though it's a dry heat and I didn't mind it too much.

Hotel rates will be more than reasonable. People that used to go to Vegas are out of work. The CV doesn't have a vaccine yet. It will be close to a year before they have a viable product. People will be hesitant about large gatherings for sure. Vegas will be giving away rooms for people to go to Las Vegas. It will take a year or two before things come close be being normal. Probably much longer.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably the most unsurprising poker news I’ve read in a while. Not sure why they took so long to make the decision. They should just cancel this years and go ahead next year if all normal.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WSOP

Probably the most unsurprising poker news I’ve read in a while. Not sure why they took so long to make the decision. They should just cancel this years and go ahead next year if all normal.

They've lost billions in their down time.
They need the money and draw of the WSOP.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was the only reasonable decision to make in my opinion .. having so many people gathered together in such tight confines would have been really not responsible at all, and life will go on, and things will just change a little, hopefully, everyone's health will be less of a concern in the fall and it can be played in safe environment ....

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At long last, COVID-19 has forced the postponement of the 2020 WSOP. No official reschedule date has been announced but there are plans for a fall series is in the works - it will depend on the unpredictable coronavirus over the next few months.

BREAKING: 51st Annual World Series of Poker Officially Postponed Due to Coronavirus Pandemic

This is why the US needs to have online poker nation wide so that we could have had some sort of series. I'm not sure how any other time would work other than summer. People will not be able to get enough time off of work to play any other time, but you never know.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The organizers found a way out and moved the tournament after all. They saw some advantages in this situation. But many events will still be online. Let's hope for the best that the situation will change closer to autumn.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why the US needs to have online poker nation wide so that we could have had some sort of series. I'm not sure how any other time would work other than summer. People will not be able to get enough time off of work to play any other time, but you never know.

Of course they can get time off. It's called vacation time. The majority of players get knocked out in the first round anyway. Yes they should have online USA poker sites, but Las Vegas has a lot to do with that issue. My idea is to have the WSOP ME online until the field is down to 96, then bring the remaining players to Vegas in September. Have 12 different rooms 8 per table with all players wearing masks. This would minimize exposure. Play continues until a champion is crowned.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Especially if the event takes place at the later stages of the summer or into the fall, I'm thinking that they might even cut down the number of actual events they hold. With the events possibly taking place later, there will possibly be less players in the pools and they can't justify holding a wide variety of events with less demand.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course they can get time off. It's called vacation time. The majority of players get knocked out in the first round anyway. Yes they should have online USA poker sites, but Las Vegas has a lot to do with that issue. My idea is to have the WSOP ME online until the field is down to 96, then bring the remaining players to Vegas in September. Have 12 different rooms 8 per table with all players wearing masks. This would minimize exposure. Play continues until a champion is crowned.

This might just be specific to the group that I know, but there is a group of teachers (I think multi-state) that grind the series during the summer. That will be hard to do when school is back in session. Also, for people with kids, it is easier to take a week or two off during the summer since they will be in summer camp etc. Kind of hard to take a couple of weeks off when you are taking your kids to school, sports, and other activities.

Not saying it is impossible, just saying the turnout would be better in the Summer versus any other season. It would be interesting to get a poll on CC to see what season people would prefer.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It was pretty clear this would happen in the end . All live poker tournaments were cancelled or was decided them to be played in some online poker rooms , such as partypoker . So the postponement is not a surprise .
Thankfully they didn't cancell it , as many organisations did for other pokerevents , alsoevents in other section of everyday life , such as sports , cultural events , etc .
They have postponed and things will show when it will actually take place . it seems that restricions are starting to be lifted in few European countries , maybe more will follow in the near future , not only in Europe . Next 2-3 months will show .....

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

It was pretty clear this would happen in the end . All live poker tournaments were cancelled or was decided them to be played in some online poker rooms , such as PartyPoker . So the postponement is not a surprise .
Thankfully they didn't cancell it , as many organisations did for other pokerevents , alsoevents in other section of everyday life , such as sports , cultural events , etc .

They have postponed and things will show when it will actually take place . it seems that restricions are starting to be lifted in few European countries , maybe more will follow in the near future , not only in Europe . Next 2-3 months will show .....

I enjoy watching the WSOP. I become a fan when Moneymaker won the tournament. Haven't missed a WSOP ME to date. Where nine millionaires make the final table. That must feel amazing.

WSOP