Can Shaun Deeb do it?

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the latest issue of poker news - Jon Sofen reports on a challenge that Shaun Deeb is all too happy to take up - the challenge to surpass and beat Phil Helmuths all time record of wsop bracelets.

As discussed on Doug Polks podcast - the report can be found here - https://uk.pokernews.com/news/2021/12/shaun-deeb-doug-polk-hellmuth-poker-42098.htm

Phil is on 16 bracelets and Shaun earlier this year locked up his 5th, with time on his side, Shaun feels he has 20 years in which to pass the Poker Brats record.

Can he do it?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would say it is a possibility (note possibility) but Shaun Deeb is going to have to change his lifestyle quite dramatically.

He was always obese, but I was shocked to see him emerge after the lockdowns having piled on much more weight. It's not about adopting a routine for Deeb to get slim and svelte, but if he does not get his weight in some kind of order his health will surely be problematic.

I seldom mention someone's health or weight but an individual like Deeb is an exception as the increase in size was so obvious.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He's young enough, and rich enough, and he is good enough at MANY of the poker variants... so yes he certainly can. Will he? Who knows. I would concur with the post commenting upon his weight, but certainly not to poke fun at him for it, but out of pure concern and love for the kid. Well said DS3. It is no coincidence at all that Shaun's username on the old fulltiltpoker site was "tedsfishfry" which was apparently a fast food type of place in Troy NY where he grew up... and of course he was also known to constantly use the term "Waffle Crush" to describe his game. LOL See the point? He likes using nicknames associated with food. If anything would drag him down over the years, this would definitely be the thing. Having said that... being overweight hasn't seemed to affect Greg Raymer very much, but maybe he's just the proverbial "big-boned" kinda guy. :)

Edit to add: Actually in my researching I learned that Ted's Fish Fry is owned by his family, so that explains his use of that nickname. I guess he comes from a food-loving family. :) There's a photo on that page taken in 2014 with Shaun in the pic.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes.
It depends if poker will still be popular in the next 5yrs. once we're on Zetacron variant. :(

Shaun F'n Deeb has always been one of my favorite players. (it's unfortunate we don't get to watch him playing online anymore).
Phil Helmuth actually was also one of my faves, especially prior to my playing online poker. I still think Phil is good but I think Shaun is better.
If Shaun was able to get into some type of physical fitness program, I'm sure his game would even become that much better.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
He's young enough, and rich enough, and he is good enough at MANY of the poker variants... so yes he certainly can. Will he? Who knows. I would concur with the post commenting upon his weight, but certainly not to poke fun at him for it, but out of pure concern and love for the kid. Well said DS3. It is no coincidence at all that Shaun's username on the old FullTiltPoker site was "tedsfishfry" which was apparently a fast food type of place in Troy NY where he grew up... and of course he was also known to constantly use the term "Waffle Crush" to describe his game. LOL See the point? He likes using nicknames associated with food. If anything would drag him down over the years, this would definitely be the thing. Having said that... being overweight hasn't seemed to affect Greg Raymer very much, but maybe he's just the proverbial "big-boned" kinda guy. :)

Edit to add: Actually in my researching I learned that Ted's Fish Fry is owned by his family, so that explains his use of that nickname. I guess he comes from a food-loving family. :) There's a photo on that page taken in 2014 with Shaun in the pic.

Glad both you and Poker Orifice took my post as intended (I was hesitant to make the point but felt it necessary).

It's also interesting you mention someone such as Greg Raymer because I was thinking about him and Jamie Staples also. Whether correct or not I think we all recognize some who are overweight, are just that way inclined physically and they appear relatively in control of their weight/lives (again perhaps misperception but...) and Greg Raymer feels that type.

Jamie Staples being another story. I watched the entire prop bet year when he and his brother Matt had to match weights to win the wager with Bill Perkins. It was fantastic to watch, but after the win, just a few weeks later Jamie had started putting weight back on and he's never kept it off. Additionally you see that his two brothers and father are slim and he has admitted to having some mental issues. He had what appeared to have an anxiety attack at the PCA and had to visit hospital to level out. Plus not sure if he ever quit smoking either.

I am not pounding on him in any way as I think he's a truly nice person and I watch his videos, but I know many of his fans have similar concerns. Ditto the same with Deeb and and I was concerned when I saw him back at this years WSOP.

Finally, I agree with Poker Orifice and an improved health regime would improve everything for these guys, poker included.

Weight is obviously a difficult matter to discuss, so once again appreciate you both took the post the way I meant it

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Glad both you and Poker Orifice took my post as intended (I was hesitant to make the point but felt it necessary).

It's also interesting you mention someone such as Greg Raymer because I was thinking about him and Jamie Staples also. Whether correct or not I think we all recognize some who are overweight, are just that way inclined physically and they appear relatively in control of their weight/lives (again perhaps misperception but...) and Greg Raymer feels that type.

Jamie Staples being another story. I watched the entire prop bet year when he and his brother Matt had to match weights to win the wager with Bill Perkins. It was fantastic to watch, but after the win, just a few weeks later Jamie had started putting weight back on and he's never kept it off. Additionally you see that his two brothers and father are slim and he has admitted to having some mental issues. He had what appeared to have an anxiety attack at the PCA and had to visit hospital to level out. Plus not sure if he ever quit smoking either.

I am not pounding on him in any way as I think he's a truly nice person and I watch his videos, but I know many of his fans have similar concerns. Ditto the same with Deeb and and I was concerned when I saw him back at this years WSOP.

Finally, I agree with Poker Orifice and an improved health regime would improve everything for these guys, poker included.

Weight is obviously a difficult matter to discuss, so once again appreciate you both took the post the way I meant it

Thanks and I certainly saw your post as being concerned out of love. I'm glad you expressed yourself and didn't change your mind. I have also struggled with obesity in my own life, not morbidly but I knew I had to do something as I grow older, or else I would become yet another statistic of our horrid american "fast food and sugar" diet. I have been on what they call the keto or paleo or (showing my age) the Atkins diet plan for almost a year and I lost almost 50 pounds by cutting out all sugar and carbohydrates. These diets work like magic, quite literally, which proved to me how diet is truly the problem. The honest truth is, I lost my 50 pounds while sitting at my computer, I literally did ZERO exercise and did not increase my calorie output whatsoever. :D However, after losing roughly 50 pounds, I have leveled off and now I am merely "overweight", which, while it is an admirable thing, I can certainly lose more and become even healthier, but in order to do so, I will now have to begin an exercise program to increase my caloric output... and now you already know my New Year's resolution a week ahead of time. :)

Sorry for the slight derail, still on topic, but this isn't about me, its about Shaun, and I certainly wish the best for him and hope he sticks with it, will be a joy to watch as he gets closer to Phil... and speaking of Phil, let's not forget the fact that he could still win more bracelets too!!!

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, I agree about Phil winning more bracelets. He's certainly capable of doing so.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would say it is a possibility (note possibility) but Shaun Deeb is going to have to change his lifestyle quite dramatically.

He was always obese, but I was shocked to see him emerge after the lockdowns having piled on much more weight. It's not about adopting a routine for Deeb to get slim and svelte, but if he does not get his weight in some kind of order his health will surely be problematic.

I seldom mention someone's health or weight but an individual like Deeb is an exception as the increase in size was so obvious.

its always a concern the issue with the weight. The good thing is is still young enough to change and if not still has a long hopefully time life before anything happens.

He's young enough, and rich enough, and he is good enough at MANY of the poker variants... so yes he certainly can. Will he? Who knows. I would concur with the post commenting upon his weight, but certainly not to poke fun at him for it, but out of pure concern and love for the kid. Well said DS3. It is no coincidence at all that Shaun's username on the old FullTiltPoker site was "tedsfishfry" which was apparently a fast food type of place in Troy NY where he grew up... and of course he was also known to constantly use the term "Waffle Crush" to describe his game. LOL See the point? He likes using nicknames associated with food. If anything would drag him down over the years, this would definitely be the thing. Having said that... being overweight hasn't seemed to affect Greg Raymer very much, but maybe he's just the proverbial "big-boned" kinda guy. :)

Ted Fish Fry is well known in the Capital district area for sure and is a place many of us like to go to when we can. Your very correct about his family being the owners of this establishment.

Yes.
It depends if poker will still be popular in the next 5yrs. once we're on Zetacron variant. :(

Shaun F'n Deeb has always been one of my favorite players. (it's unfortunate we don't get to watch him playing online anymore).
Phil Helmuth actually was also one of my faves, especially prior to my playing online poker. I still think Phil is good but I think Shaun is better.
If Shaun was able to get into some type of physical fitness program, I'm sure his game would even become that much better.

I am sure poker will be fine in 5 years. Just hope it ends and we get over this soon. You and I are on the same side and he is one of my favorite players as well. I am a bit biased as I have had the honer of playing with him.

Will he do it? I actually think he will, He is an good player who can not just play NLH but is really good on all the variants and can afford to play in any limit he want.

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no doubt that Deeb is a great player with the bankroll to play any event he wants. However, I am going to go with no because 16 bracelets is a lot as well as the fact that it appears Hellmuth isn't done winning them either.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no doubt that Deeb is a great player with the bankroll to play any event he wants. However, I am going to go with no because 16 bracelets is a lot as well as the fact that it appears Hellmuth isn't done winning them either.

I am of the exact opposite opinion because Shaun is good, Shaun is rich, and Shaun is fearless... but most of all, Shaun is capable of winning in quite literally ANY of the games played at WSOP, which gives him a massive amount of opportunities that Phil Hellmuth simply doesn't have, since almost all of Phil's bracelets come from the one game he's good at, NL Holdem. Phil is competent in other games, but he's not nearly as good at any of them as Shaun is. Deeb is a beast and he never seems to get tired of playing poker. The game is really fun when you're a winner, most of us aren't really winners and we lose interest over the years due to that. Shaun probably won't ever have that problem and I do expect him to have even more than the 20 years he has stated that he has. I don't see any reason why he still can't be winning bracelets when he's Doyle's age. He's only 35, which gives him a very reasonable 30 years to catch Phil if not even more, and he'll only need to win 1 bracelet every 3 years or so to do it, which for his caliber of player is not only reasonable but even quite likely.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Of course you can do it, you have champion pasta!

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am of the exact opposite opinion because Shaun is good, Shaun is rich, and Shaun is fearless... but most of all, Shaun is capable of winning in quite literally ANY of the games played at WSOP, which gives him a massive amount of opportunities that Phil Hellmuth simply doesn't have, since almost all of Phil's bracelets come from the one game he's good at, NL Holdem. Phil is competent in other games, but he's not nearly as good at any of them as Shaun is. Deeb is a beast and he never seems to get tired of playing poker. The game is really fun when you're a winner, most of us aren't really winners and we lose interest over the years due to that. Shaun probably won't ever have that problem and I do expect him to have even more than the 20 years he has stated that he has. I don't see any reason why he still can't be winning bracelets when he's Doyle's age. He's only 35, which gives him a very reasonable 30 years to catch Phil if not even more, and he'll only need to win 1 bracelet every 3 years or so to do it, which for his caliber of player is not only reasonable but even quite likely.
Shaun is in my opinion the best Omaha player on the planet. The other factor that will put Shaun ahead of "The Brat" is Shaun don't blow head gaskets the way Phil does. If Phil had Shauns attitude he would end up with more than he is gonna get by blowing head gaskets. I'll take Shaun over Phil.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

3 of Phil's last 5 bracelets have come in non Hold'em games, so he has branched off, and has had some other close calls (going off memory, he lost HU in a Razz event), so I don't think Deeb's advantage is that significant over Hellmuth.

If Phil gets to 20+ bracelets, it's going to be very tough, but I agree that Shaun does play all the games very well and that maximizes his opportunities. However, his weight is an issue as it can lead to other illnesses later in life (ie: Diabetes/Heart Disease). I'm certain he's self-aware and realizes that part of the motivation must include getting healthier. He does have time on his side, so in my opinion, it's 50-50 that he can do it.

Then, other factors may play into the probability of achieving this, such as his own life, and will things away from the poker table reduce his motivation to achieve it? There's no way to predict that, as yes, while he may feel this way at age 35, will he have the same desire 5/10/20 years from now? Will there be something new that draws his interest? Hellmuth's unique in that regard, in that his motivation to winning bracelets hasn't waned over time. If anything, he's become even more motivated. He's also still young enough that, even at age 57, he might have another 10-15 years to win bracelets. Plus, his sons are fully grown, so he's maintained the drive to win bracelets, even with family considerations.

This is an excellent question. I'm leaning towards no, but hopefully Deeb has a good run at it.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It seems unlikely to me. But at the same time, it should be understood that the road will be mastered by walking along it. So everything is in the hands of Shaun Deeb. It remains to wish him patience and good luck in his hopeless case.