Can you notice the opponent's gestures when he is nuts or bluffing?

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it difficult but if you know the opponent is possible!

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the time - yes. An all-in or very large bet/raise on the river, especially when out of position, almost always means the nuts or close to it. Not always, but pretty much. A smaller bet (say 1/3 pot) from a loose aggressive player on the river often means a bluff/semi-bluff, especially if there's a draw on board that didn't complete by the river. Not as big a probability but usually more likely than not.

These are oversimplifications but do form a good basis for predicting who's got the goods and who doesn't.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The handshakes really do exist. I have seen it from players that have less experience playing live poker.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What about all the other tells ? I have seen some players at the table with sunglasses to cover their eyes to hide their pupils dilating, a scarf to cover the Adam's Apple if they swallow hard when under stress, a hoodie to cover their ears in case they turn red...talk about dressed for the occasion !!!

pac818man

pac818man

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TELLS

I find it difficult but if you know the opponent is possible!

This is one of the skills you need to master when playing poker. You need to know how to read people. I think this skill can be developed with experience but still, 15 years in, I'm not nearly as good as I think I am :p

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about all the other tells ? I have seen some players at the table with sunglasses to cover their eyes to hide their pupils dilating, a scarf to cover the Adam's Apple if they swallow hard when under stress, a hoodie to cover their ears in case they turn red...talk about dressed for the occasion !!!

All very good tells to catch. The thing about those tells is to figure out what they mean, is it a bluff tell or a tell when they have the nuts.

I have seen all of these tells and most of the time it just happens because the person is nervous about the amount of money but they do not have the nuts but are not bluffing either... I guess you could call it a semi-bluff because they don't have the nuts?

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fake a yawn. If he yawn back or turn his head away from looking at you, that means he is bluffing.
When someone is telling a lie, they will tend to stare hard without blinking. A yawn is contagious, so if he is bluffing, he will react to that.
Don't do this too often, only when you really encounter a hand that really matter Hugh winning.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fake a yawn. If he yawn back or turn his head away from looking at you, that means he is bluffing.
When someone is telling a lie, they will tend to stare hard without blinking. A yawn is contagious, so if he is bluffing, he will react to that.
Don't do this too often, only when you really encounter a hand that really matter Hugh winning.

If yawns are contagious and you yawn and then villain yawns back. How do you know that villain is lieing? It could just be a reaction from your yawn lol.

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't rely on physical tells too much. Sometimes if you know a certain tell since it's obvious to you you can use it, but don't go looking for tells unless it's blatantly obvious to you.

Construct a range and find the pot odds. Think how wide a person's range is at a particular spot, if the person plays too ABC, how you can rep the top of your range in certain spots, etc.

Rely on constructing a range and your feel, everything else don't go looking for unless it's obvious and staring you at the face

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If yawns are contagious and you yawn and then villain yawns back. How do you know that villain is lieing? It could just be a reaction from your yawn lol.

You need to learn how to read and understand before questioning and quoting when the answer is already stated.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont trust in tells. Sometimes are good faking that, i dont really know if they use reverse tells..

Dont know, i trust in my poker skills .. I dont look at tells

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to learn how to read and understand before questioning and quoting when the answer is already stated.

I understood perfectly well what you were saying but the fact still remains that the flaw in your suggestion is that yawns are contagious and it doesn't prove that they are lieing. It could just be that you fake yawn and because that person is susceptible to yawns that they will yawn back no matter what the scenario is. Which is why I asked, how do you know they are lieing?

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unconscious behavior is more reliable than deliberate action. Tells are great supplimental information, but not a replacement for in game action.

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I noticed in live poker that some faces even go red. I have mainly seen hands flinching when they have strong hands. But I have played when players were drinking and those players I find that are hard to read.

quartz

quartz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I noticed in live poker that some faces even go red. I have mainly seen hands flinching when they have strong hands. But I have played when players were drinking and those players I find that are hard to read.
That's a really good point that drunks are hard to read sometimes but certainly you can adjust to them being maniacs and not have to pay much attention to their tells for the most part.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think for the most part yes ... I am sure the Dunning Krueger effect is in full play as I say that lol .. but yes people I feel, are bad liars just to begin with .. I feel, that as the human animal we are ... it is against our nature to lie without giving it away in some manner .... that's not to say that someone can't be that cold and calculating .. they certainly can ... but for the most part I feel that after experience with the same players and just how humans act in general, that information is available to those that pay close attention ....

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't try to read too deep into every mannerism. Decisions should be made based on fundamentals. The most important one to remember is very simple: when an opponent tries to appear intimidating and imposing, this conveys weakness; when they try to appear inviting and passive, this conveys strength.

Also be aware of "the speech". If you are up against a non-professional who starts launching into a big speech on the river while you are contemplating calling their bet, you can confidently fold every time without a nutted hand. The same thing goes if they give some explanation about how they just need to leave, tired of playing etc. before moving all in.

T

toybrandon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The handshakes really do exist. I have seen it from players that have less experience playing live poker.

I just started playing live cash games again last month and I shook like a mother ****er. So bad that other players noticed the shaking and commented to each other. I shook most when I had a really good hand.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just started playing live cash games again last month and I shook like a mother ****er. So bad that other players noticed the shaking and commented to each other. I shook most when I had a really good hand.

Its something you can work on. You know it exists, before you decide to make any action take some time to look at your hands and think to yourself if there are any physical tells. If there are try to concentrate and focus on making them go away.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When they are close friends or players I usually play with, yes.