WSOP Card shuffling

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why dealers on wsop don’t use card shuffler and shuffle cards by hand?

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do they only shuffle cards by hand? I see them put the deck into this little device that's built into the table to the left of them and then they pull out another different deck from the same device between hands from what I've watched. My guess is that this is a card shuffler built into the table that is shuffling one deck while the table is playing with another, and once that hand has completed then the dealer swaps the decks and uses the new deck for the next hand etc. I've never looked this up but this would make sense to me. Can anyone confirm?

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you say is correct. That’s a card shuffler but a lot of tables don’t have it.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why dealers on WSOP don’t use card shuffler and shuffle cards by hand?
If you are asking why all tables used in the WSOP don't have shufflers, I turn to the obvious answer, it's too expensive. For the Main Event, the Rio is at maximum capacity on some days. I believe Day 1C had over 4000 runners, Day 3 likely had even more. The number of shuffle machines required for these two days out of the year cannot be justified when they are not needed 363 days of the year. Especially on temporary tables that need to be moved a lot. These tables must be as light and portable as possible while being robust and "nice" enough to handle a world class event. Adding a multi thousand dollar shuffler to the table is not only impractical, it borders on the impossible. I have played in card rooms where the folding poker tables come out when too many people show up. At Playground Poker in Montreal, the cash tables have shufflers, but I think only a small percentage of the tourney tables have them (probably cash tables that have been lent to a large event).

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are asking why all tables used in the WSOP don't have shufflers, I turn to the obvious answer, it's too expensive. For the Main Event, the Rio is at maximum capacity on some days. I believe Day 1C had over 4000 runners, Day 3 likely had even more. The number of shuffle machines required for these two days out of the year cannot be justified when they are not needed 363 days of the year. Especially on temporary tables that need to be moved a lot. These tables must be as light and portable as possible while being robust and "nice" enough to handle a world class event. Adding a multi thousand dollar shuffler to the table is not only impractical, it borders on the impossible. I have played in card rooms where the folding poker tables come out when too many people show up. At Playground Poker in Montreal, the cash tables have shufflers, but I think only a small percentage of the tourney tables have them (probably cash tables that have been lent to a large event).

Makes sense about the outer tables. Thanks

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I just remembered another reason. I'll have to remember to notice tonight if the feature tables don't have shufflers despite their custom made for the event looks. Because they are using RFID enabled cards (for the first time AFAIK), they should be hand shuffled. The machines don't like the cards with chips in them - it seems it's impossible to make the RFID cards truly flat and perfect. It also seems impossible to make the shufflers handle the ever so slightly imperfect cards. At least this was the case a couple years ago.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realized some of them don’t have Card shuffler but tonight on featured table they use shuffler. I assume with RFID they need a more sophisticated system that would be more expensive so they might only have it on the featured table.

D

Digitalpimp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, pretty sure it's due to the size/thickness of the cards with the RFID chips.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Noticed they are using the shuffler for the feature tables. Also noticed two fouled card replacements in the thirty or so hours that I watched. I don't know what the normal rate is. Shufflers or cards may have been tweaked and now work well together, or maybe they just replaced cards more frequently.

Also, at one point, Tony Miles asked Jack Effel how much the table costs with all the RFID readers and cameras. His response was "about $100K".

A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw some use a auto shufflee ajd some did it tue old fashioned way..its prob preference tbh

B

BeiMoh420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer having a dealer hand shuffle instead of using a machine. I think that any machine can be "rigged," but a machine doesn't keep me from playing.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer having a dealer hand shuffle instead of using a machine. I think that any machine can be "rigged," but a machine doesn't keep me from playing.

Yes, it CAN be rigged but why it would be? How they can know in advance that a seat number will be their target before hand? Also, there are too many variations when you deal with human. If e.g. someone gets up to use the restroom, the machine can't realize that and it will be "rigged" against the target player.

J

JEasyy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it CAN be rigged but why it would be? How they can know in advance that a seat number will be their target before hand? Also, there are too many variations when you deal with human. If e.g. someone gets up to use the restroom, the machine can't realize that and it will be "rigged" against the target player.
Is WSOP unlike online poker in the sense that if you take a break you are just not dealt to at all, where online cards are delt to the player and in an automatic check/fold state?

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is WSOP unlike online poker in the sense that if you take a break you are just not dealt to at all, where online cards are delt to the player and in an automatic check/fold state?

Usually when you are away for a short brake like getting a coffee dealer deal a hand and then they muck it but if you don’t show up for let’s say 4-5 min they won’t deal you at all till you are back (miss the B.B. for example)
I think the rule is to deal and then muck but dealer won’t do it.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

thank you for a definitive, clear and informative answer... brilliant

WSOP