What are your thoughts on the WSOP ME being televised behind a paywall?

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am wondering if not showing wsop main event to as wide an audience as possible hurts the chances of drawing new players to the game

Markjduk

Markjduk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think it will/has hurt gaining new players. You have gotta be fairly in to poker to get a PokerGo subscription.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will definitely reduce the number of non-players watching the broadcast. But only the WSOP can say if the business model of revenue from PokerGo versus revenue from ESPN/CBS/NBC etc. is better for WSOP financially. Obviously from this years numbers (and last years), the WSOP is not having any problems attracting players.

Last edited:
Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have to believe due to the unusual circumstances of the pandemic, we have experienced changes in so many things including the WSOP televised live events. Like Jilly said, 'WSOP can say if the business model of revenue from PokerGo versus revenue from ESPN/CBS/NBC etc. is better for WSOP financially' - this is their call. Non-subscribers of PokerGo won't like their decision but like anything in a money-making venture, WSOP has to try it before they can say it won't work for them. The deal had to have been a good one or WSOP likely wouldn't have done business with PokerGo. In the end, they are both in business to make money. How long the current setup lasts is anyone's guess.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Restricting your potential customers access to your product sure seems like a good way to grow your business. o_O

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
While I do wish there was more poker on TV for the WSOP, WPT EPT and others I can understand why it is only behind the pay wall. when black Friday hit almost everything poker disappeared. I have been unable to watch WPT or WPT on TV for year and it does hurt them. We don't know why ESPN stoped for sure playing the WSOP events but I recall reading somewhere they were looking to do less of the WSOP. They may have decided it was no longer worth it to them. While i would prefer to not pay for my poker fix its better than not having it at all. What's nice is all the added events we can see. Now if they would do WPT and EPT events again or get them add to poker go would make me happy.

WSOP