Two questions

M

mxylpic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,
Had something happen few weeks back. Just wondering two things. Did the floor make the right call and was this maybe an Angle Shoot as the dealer suggested.
Not listing all cards because 1. I don't remember. and 2. Not seeking hand advice.
I had JJ
Opponent was on my immediate left.
I raised and he called
Flop: XQX
I checked, he bet, I shoved.
He puts cards face up over betting line to reveal AQ
I Turned my hand over.
Then I realized. No chips over the betting line and I didn't hear him say "call" Or Fold for that matter.
I said. "Did anyone hear him say 'call'" And no one did.
I think the dealer even started reaching for the flop before opponent said no, I called.
Floor was called.
Ruling was he was allowed to clarify he meant to call but was given a 1 round penalty for exposing his cards.
I thought it should have been a fold since he exposed cards, over the line and didn't either put chips forward or declare.
So, was floor correct?
After ruling board was run out and I rivered the Jack for Trips and won. He was crippled and went to re buy during his penalty round.
After he left Dealer said it might have been an attempted angle shoot, that if I had turned over QQ, KK or AA he could say he meant to fold.
TIA for opinions.
Cheers,
Ed

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It could have happened that your opponent did not know the rules well, or he definitely wanted to induce you to reveal information. I assume they both had similar stacks, so that push from you seems like a risky move, assuming it's the second pair.
The decision of the room was correct, because it is inferred that the villain wanted to play his hand. If the villain knew the rules, then he intended to mislead. Because you should not show your cards, until the opponent explicitly accepts the duel.
Which happens when the villain performs the procedure of discovering his chips and placing an amount outside the line, as a sign of accepting the duel.
Greetings.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ruling was correct as exposing cards is not a betting action. Yes it could have been an angle shoot but floor won't make that ruling unless the culprit is known for it.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have interpreted it as a call...he had top pair post flop, so the odds are that he did intend playing the hand. Was it an angle shoot and an attempt to cover his ass in the event you turned over a better hand? Absolutely.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That was a definite angle shoot. But you screwed up by not paying attention. You got lucky on the river, but don't reveal your cards next time until you verify what your opponent has done.