The tells 'all' thread

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets get it going!, all tells posted here:)
Annie Duke

Joe Navarro

Last edited:
S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tell: Double-checking Hole Cards

I have seen it be both a weak hand and also a strong hand. I lean towards MOST of the time it is a weak hand UNLESS the opponent bets big, then it can be a strong hand.

What do you think when a player double-check the hole cards, is it strong or weak?

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Surely if you are on to this to subject you will be faking it that is using reverse tells to suck your opponents in.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely if you are on to this to subject you will be faking it that is using reverse tells to suck your opponents in.
Reverse tells only work on morons, just sayin, not saying it is not a great idea against yahoos...but any experienced player is wise to the books.

yeah im old and jaded, sorry, don't mean to be

Lets talk snagging pots and bouncing instead:) Snag say 3 pots and bounce...more my game. (local ish)

Last edited:
C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now, this is not holdem related, but the backroom I used to play in a little over 2 decades ago had some folks who played for big money. Several of the folks there had made and lost small fortunes at the game. We were playing 5 card draw and the most experienced guy drew 2 cards. He looked at what he got and his eyes bulged and he said a couple of words not repeatable here. We all folded. He had gotten only his second royal flush in his life.

The moral of the story, emotions happen. You never know when some issues will cause you to have a tell come out. This means that no matter how calm and collected you are, at some point, you might just cause all sorts of actions from the others you are playing with.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Now, this is not holdem related, but the backroom I used to play in a little over 2 decades ago had some folks who played for big money. Several of the folks there had made and lost small fortunes at the game. We were playing 5 card draw and the most experienced guy drew 2 cards. He looked at what he got and his eyes bulged and he said a couple of words not repeatable here. We all folded. He had gotten only his second royal flush in his life.

The moral of the story, emotions happen. You never know when some issues will cause you to have a tell come out. This means that no matter how calm and collected you are, at some point, you might just cause all sorts of actions from the others you are playing with.
LOL!! The same thing happened in a private game to a woman I used to know. She'd been betting heavy and her husband thought she must not know what she was doing so he came over, looked at her cards, and his jaw dropped. The other players dropped too, knowing she had that royal flush.

One time I was playing stud at Foxwoods and made a pretty bad tell. I was at the end of the table and a man halfway down to my right was my only competition. I don't remember what hand I had, but the seventh card gave me a good one, and I couldn't help the little Mona Lisa smile that came to my lips. My opponent couldn't muck his cards fast enough. LOL!! An hour or so later I was on a draw again but didn't get my card...but the smile still worked. ;)

I

I LOVE BENE

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell: Double-checking Hole Cards

I have seen it be both a weak hand and also a strong hand. I lean towards MOST of the time it is a weak hand UNLESS the opponent bets big, then it can be a strong hand.

What do you think when a player double-check the hole cards, is it strong or weak?
strong most of the times

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
strong most of the times
It is interesting. There are also a lot of other information when we make this judgement.

Does the opponent look back quickly? When do they look back. What do they do after looking back, like drop the cards on table quickly or slowly. Do they immediately reach for chips.

So many things go into trying to understand the story at the poker table.:)

Poker Tells