survivor tournament

B

bowlerman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ok folks heres the play. Was in a survivor tourney at seminol hard rock (top 5 get $600 each).
Was down to 6 players and the short stack is all in before flop(very small stack). Im big blind and dealt 9d 3d. the chip leader calls the all in and so do I. The flop is Ad 10s 4d. I check and the chip leader bets pretty much half of my stack!!! So I asked him why would he bet that???? He the proceeds to tell me it doesnt matter. I said what do me it doesnt matter??? This guy had no clue what I was talking about. I said you didnt have the nuts, you only had a pair of tens. Apparently nobody else at the table understood this either. Chip leader got upset at me because I called him out. LOL. I still came in top 5 but that was a horrible play.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
He meant it didn't matter to his stack and he might as well go after both of you in that situation. It's a viable strategy. Think about it... If you call then you are pot-committed and there is a greater chance that one of you (you and short stack) will get busted and the tournament will be over. If he soft plays it to the end, the hope would be that one of you two would beat the short stack. Not that far fetched .. unless his stack wasn't that big.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree. It was a total bozo play. Always play 2 hands against 1 in that situation.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It didnt matter to his stack. He was in a win/win situation. Either he has the nuts in the end and knocks the remaining player out....or you have the nuts and the remaining player is out . Even if the remaining player had the best hand hes just hoping hes stronger than you. It's a money move

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, it's not a money move, it was stupid. The correct play is to have the two against the short stack because the chip leader knew that second stack (bowlerman) would fold, leaving him one on one with the short stack. The short stack may have been knocked out by bowler instead of giving him another shot at a comeback,

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was down to 6 players and the short stack is all in before flop(very small stack). Im big blind and dealt 9d 3d. the chip leader calls the all in and so do I.
My thought is the bad play was not that of the big stack on the flop, but instead; Hero's call pre-flop is questionable.

What math supported Hero's call with 9d3d? Did Hero think he was ahead of the small stack shoving range? Did Hero think he was ahead of the big stack's calling range?

There is not a poker skill to "hit the flop." 93s is likely behind both of the Villain's ranges. It sounds like the only post-flop plan was to "check it down" - only in this case the big stack did not cooperate.

Conserve chips in a survival tournament... this scenario is equivalent to ICM math on the bubble. Unless Hero is willing to isolate the short stack by jamming... there is not a mathematical reason to call. Let the big stack attempt to take Villain out.

Congrats on your 5th place cash!

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, it's not a money move, it was stupid. The correct play is to have the two against the short stack because the chip leader knew that second stack (bowlerman) would fold, leaving him one on one with the short stack. The short stack may have been knocked out by bowler instead of giving him another shot at a comeback,

The bet is 100% a money move. Yes obviously the preflop call is a must call but after that Him trying to either Buy out or Get the money in is all money... Period. Hell It's still a Money move preflop no matter the hand , he could have called with 2-7 and still called. It was down to the LAST player, Its a Money move

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This may br similar to a coin flip. I think the 2 against 1 would have the % advantage.