F

FadedFamous

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
[emoji876][emoji876]
Hey cards chat,
Do you guys think that wearing sunglasses while playing poker gives the player an advantage and shouldn’t be allowed? Or do you think they make no difference and why?
Comment below your thoughts!
[emoji876][emoji876]

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your pupils will dilate when there is added stimulus good or bad, so who can tell if you're excited that you have a great hand or if you are nervously bluffing? Most players can't really spot the changes in your eyes, and if they did notice, most don't know how to interpret it. I never wear sunglasses playing live poker (or any time indoors). When I played at the wsop Colossus with the Cardschat team in 2019, I lasted into day 2, and I don't think there was a single player at my tables who wore sunglasses.

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider my Ray bans essential when playing and I get much better results but trial and error can show you. I remember the first time I wore shades it made me so much more confident.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just don't wear reflective ones because when you peek at your cards they might give other players information that you don't want them to have. ;)

Seriously though, while I don't wear them I don't really care whether others want to use them. However, if I had been wearing them I would have stopped when the Covid-19 mask rules came in. With the mask covering my mouth, my eyes are the only way the other players have of seeing my smile. :)

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
[emoji876][emoji876]
Hey cards chat,
Do you guys think that wearing sunglasses while playing poker gives the player an advantage and shouldn’t be allowed? Or do you think they make no difference and why?
Comment below your thoughts!
[emoji876][emoji876]

I would only wear a good quality pair that were made for poker as I have been witness to players misread of the board. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with it, some people just feel more comfortable with them on especially if they are shy and have trouble making eye contact in the real world let alone at the poker table.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think sunglasses can help give someone an advantage, in the sense that they are a tool to help you hide your physical reactions. I think in a perfect world, there would be some sort of exact criteria everyone would have to meet. A specific uniform, etc, so that everyone is on the same playing field. But that's sort of crazy talk, and not going to happen. So it's just a matter of what do we generally find acceptable in normal life. Wearing sunglasses, hats, concealing clothing, etc., are generally accepted as normal to see someone in, so people have decided that using them is okay, even though we know they are doing it so that they don't have to work as hard to not show any physical reaction while playing poker. I think it will be interesting to see if people try to wear masks, long after Covid-19 is no longer an issue.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shades

Seems that all players have the choice of wearing shades or not so it shouldn't be an advantage as you have the opinion to do so. Granted eyes at times give you a read on players but a better read is body language
So if you think are an advantage get a pair :D

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I think sunglasses give you an advantage, as it is harder for an opponent to get a read on you, and you can look at their face closely without them necessarily being aware of it. That being said, however, make sure they aren't going to reflect your cards to the rest of the table as that would be a catastrophic mistake.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I've been playing online for many years, I won't play without my sunglasses. :cool:

:top:
I think sunglasses can help give someone an advantage, in the sense that they are a tool to help you hide your physical reactions. I think in a perfect world, there would be some sort of exact criteria everyone would have to meet. A specific uniform, etc, so that everyone is on the same playing field. But that's sort of crazy talk, and not going to happen. So it's just a matter of what do we generally find acceptable in normal life. Wearing sunglasses, hats, concealing clothing, etc., are generally accepted as normal to see someone in, so people have decided that using them is okay, even though we know they are doing it so that they don't have to work as hard to not show any physical reaction while playing poker. I think it will be interesting to see if people try to wear masks, long after Covid-19 is no longer an issue.

This is works even better than sunglasses.

f4ad072a484d5e54d80e58177acbb1e8.png

:top:

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I dont this it really makes a big difference to most poker players if they wear them or not. AT the top level of play maybe but the average player probably not. I personally dont have a problem if they do.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it has no impact but each game can think differently. But it doesn't bother me that they use it. I do use headphones!

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think they should be allowed do to some people having a light sensitive issue. I don't wear them, but for some it might be advantage, though I don't see that as a big advantage over players without Shades. A well covered hat can hide your eyes just as well as shades in my opinion.