Rolling out the buy ins

karthos

karthos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was at a live cash game last week. Sat down with my usual $100 buy in on the 1/2 table I could not believe what I was seeing I saw so many rebuys cross the table , almost everyone put out another 2 or 300 dollars I couldn't believe it I played 8 hours on my little hundred . Question is was I playing too tight ? Personally I never take more than my initial buy in and if I lose it I go home. Am I wrong for that strategy?

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
In poker, the term buy-in has its own specific interpretation. Although there are similarities, by paying this fee, the player agrees with the rules and takes part in the creation of a common tournament bank. There are also differences between the tournament buy-in and what is used in simple cash poker. It is formed from two main parts - the fee body and percentage for organizers. When paying a buy-in, you buy chips for yourself, with which you will make all further bets during the game. value and the same number of gambling chips - the initial stack. This feature is not available in every tournament, so you should carefully read the rules or study the cash game lobby.

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It sounds to me like you are practicing "Good Responsible bankroll Management". That is a good thing! If a player has to keep rebuying, maybe poker is not a game for them (but good for us, if we can take their money :)).
Keep up the good work and Best of Luck at the tables!

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I was at a live cash game last week. Sat down with my usual $100 buy in on the 1/2 table I could not believe what I was seeing I saw so many rebuys cross the table , almost everyone put out another 2 or 300 dollars I couldn't believe it I played 8 hours on my little hundred . Question is was I playing too tight ? Personally I never take more than my initial buy in and if I lose it I go home. Am I wrong for that strategy?

I don't think it sounds like you were playing too tight. It sounds like everyone else is playing too loose. A perfect game to keep it tight and try and catch the other players. :)

If you felt like you were never getting any action from your good hands, then maybe you are playing a touch tight. If you finished the night up, and had fun then sounds great to me.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It's about how you manage your money and it's great, at those who come to the table and lose $ 200-300 maybe that was their goal to spend that $ 200 on a few poker hands and maybe they'll be lucky and double but in practice it is not so easy for them

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi Friend.

Maybe you were lucky that day :) by the way, at the end of the 8 hours, did you win or lose money?

karthos

karthos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually took home some cash It was a good day!

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So all you have described is the amount you buy-in for at a cash table.

You have not described any hands for the thread to determine if you are playing "too tight".

I think you are very comfortable with the $100 buy-in...and you should pay attention to that emotional comfort level.

But if you want to test if you can win more with a bigger buyin - try buying in for $200 and see how many chips you can leave the table with.

Also are there hands when you would go all-in and win but you would win more if you had more chips??

And are there hands when you didn't have enough chips to motivate your opponent to fold when you wanted them to fold?

If no then I think you are comfortable with your $100.

But it is difficult to set-mine with 22 or 33 when there is a raise to $15 when all you have is $100.

Alternately I have seen players proudly run their $100 buy-in to $1000 in 8-hours.

Good luck !

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It would be uncomfortable for me to sit with less than 100bb's at any table. I'm typically prepared to buy in 5x (at least 3x) for the $200 at $1/$2. When playing online I would never sit with less than 100bb's & will often drop 10 buy-ins. It is normal. (I like to play a fair number of hands with a VPIP of ~27-30).