Remembering your card suits live

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I was always a little bit frustrated by having to check my whole cards again once the board had possible flushes out there. While I had no problem remembering what the cards values were oh, I would often forget if there was two different suits what they were. I mean, sure, if they are the same suit it's pretty easy to remember "98 of Spades”. However, what to do when it is 9c8h?

And, of course, when that 3rd or 4th card of a suit comes, how many of us have to check to see if we have one of that suit? I have found that it is a lot more psychologically effective to not check your cards. It makes you look stronger or weaker depending on what you are doing. Now you can check your cards. For example, if you just rivered the nut flush out of position and are planning on check/raising or something, you can peek, pause, and then check as if you didn't have it. (Complete with bummed out face.)

But the point here is that you don't have to keep looking because you didn't process it. (And we all know how Norman Chad makes fun of people checking their cards again.)

So I ended up starting to use some mnemonics that I would say in my head (“silently out loud”) that would help me remember what my suits were. I gradually expanded the list over time to cover everything. Turns out there are 10 of them total. The 4 suits and 6 combos.
  • Obviously the suits themselves: hearts, diamonds, clubs, spades
  • ♥♦ = “Red” (duh)
  • ♣♠ = "black" (duh)
  • ♣ = "round"
  • ♠ = "pointy"
  • ♠ = "up/down" or "arrows"
  • ♣ = "baseball". (This one took me a bit... but what's a diamond where you use a club?)
So when I look down at :ah4::6d4:, in a second I am saying "Ace 6 red".
:jc4::10h4: is "Jack Ten round"
:kd4::qs4: is "King Queen pointy"
:8s4::7h4: is "8 7 up/down" or "8 7 arrows"

Those are far more efficient and easier to remember than "Ace of hearts, 6 of diamonds" or "Jack of clubs, ten of hearts". You are reducing some of your information to a single word or concept. (This is called "chunking" in psychology, btw.)

Seriously... try it next time you are playing live. Just by making the mental note of it at the time, the suits become as easy as remembering the values. It will make you more efficient at the table, look more confident (if you want), and it won't annoy Norman Chad when you're on a TV table at wsop!

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL come on, its 2 cards.
Put them in order and remember them that's it. This isn't Big O, lol.

Ok enough with the silly sarcasm.

The only thing I can add is, I personally use whether I can remember two cards when I'm playing online or live as an indicator of how involved I am in the game and whether I'm being distracted or not paying enough attention to the game.

Unless folks have issues then they should be able to remember two cards and if they can't then it might be time to cut down on table talk or whatever it is distracting you while the cards are being dealt.

If this is a live game, the process is as one card is being dealt I'll look at each card as they're being dealt and KNOW what the use of the card is.

So I KNOW exactly what type of flop I'm looking for BEFORE the initial preflop betting starts like if I get 8c the first card then I'll need a 7c or 9c to play for a straight or flush and if its raised big time preflop or I'm in early position then its going into the muck regardless.

My point is, if you know exactly how your cards fit potential flops then its easier to remember them then playing "willy nilly" and playing whatever a flop gives you without knowing what the hand is good for.

In that situation then you will be checking your cards to see where you are.

Thanks for the post. Someone might be able to use the info.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have a decent chance of playing the hand, I remember the cards. I quickly forget cards that I do not intend to play unless I’m in the big blind and I can limp…being a senior citizen, I forget a lot more than cards…birthdays and anniversaries are a greater problem than my hole cards at the poker table.

Last edited:
natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sounds like a great idea. I know that on more than one occasion, I have totally screwed up the suits I thought I had. I even have screwed up the actual value of one of my hole cards more than once.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing Sucks More Than Misreading Your Hand

I was always a little bit frustrated by having to check my whole cards again once the board had possible flushes out there. While I had no problem remembering what the cards values were oh, I would often forget if there was two different suits what they were. I mean, sure, if they are the same suit it's pretty easy to remember "98 of Spades”. However, what to do when it is 9c8h?

And, of course, when that 3rd or 4th card of a suit comes, how many of us have to check to see if we have one of that suit? I have found that it is a lot more psychologically effective to not check your cards. It makes you look stronger or weaker depending on what you are doing. Now you can check your cards. For example, if you just rivered the nut flush out of position and are planning on check/raising or something, you can peek, pause, and then check as if you didn't have it. (Complete with bummed out face.)

But the point here is that you don't have to keep looking because you didn't process it. (And we all know how Norman Chad makes fun of people checking their cards again.)

So I ended up starting to use some mnemonics that I would say in my head (“silently out loud”) that would help me remember what my suits were. I gradually expanded the list over time to cover everything. Turns out there are 10 of them total. The 4 suits and 6 combos.
  • ♥♦ = “Red” (duh)
  • ♣♠ = "black" (duh)
  • ♣ = "round"
  • ♠ = "pointy"
  • ♣ = "baseball". (This one took me a bit... but what's a diamond where you use a club?)

Those are far more efficient and easier to remember than "Ace of hearts, 6 of diamonds" or "Jack of clubs, ten of hearts". You are reducing some of your information to a single word or concept. (This is called "chunking" in psychology, btw.)

Seriously... try it next time you are playing live. Just by making the mental note of it at the time, the suits become as easy as remembering the values. It will make you more efficient at the table, look more confident (if you want), and it won't annoy Norman Chad when you're on a TV table at WSOP!

I look once preflop before I raise or call.

Then again just before the flop to get a second look at the suit(s).

Good luck !

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Sounds like a great idea. I know that on more than one occasion, I have totally screwed up the suits I thought I had. I even have screwed up the actual value of one of my hole cards more than once.
Can't help you there. I would suggest, however, that you don't just lay them face up on the table. :rolleyes:

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
  • ♥♦ = “Red” (duh)
  • ♣♠ = "black" (duh)
  • ♣ = "round"
  • ♠ = "pointy"
Thanks for sharing this Dave. This is helpful, I think the first four are the easiest to remember, and I like the fifth option "up/down", and want to remember last one because learning this can be useful in live tournament.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
OK i have to admit this one Dave, This is really a good way to remember them. Thanks for sharing.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't imagine it difficult to remember two cards of any suit in order to double-check and perform some acting techniques on the table in the form of joy or sadness
sorry of course, but in my opinion it's not difficult

N0rdm4nn

N0rdm4nn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Not bad. But one question: When you have in your head A8 round. And the Board reads.

K-Q-9-2 of hearts

You know you have a flush, but you don't know if its the nut flush. How are you handling these situations?

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

• ♥♦ = “Red” (duh)
  • ♣♠ = "black" (duh)
  • ♣ = "round"
  • ♠ = "pointy"

Seriously... try it next time you are playing live. Just by making the mental note of it at the time, the suits become as easy as remembering the values. It will make you more efficient at the table, look more confident (if you want), and it won't annoy Norman Chad when you're on a TV table at WSOP!
real nice mnemonics, just didn't get the baseball thing but looks like is a cultural thing. thank you for share it

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for sharing this Dave. This is helpful, I think the first four are the easiest to remember, and I like the fifth option "up/down", and want to remember last one because learning this can be useful in live tournament.
you can think like the other one or the unlabeled

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
lots of people get thier suits mixed up when they are overly excited OR NERVOUS about a hand, remaining calm is key and deducing situations

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Some reason I remember suites/suited/values and seldom look at my hand unless trying to invoke a reaction/false read from another opponent.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Not bad. But one question: When you have in your head A8 round. And the Board reads.

K-Q-9-2 of hearts

You know you have a flush, but you don't know if its the nut flush. How are you handling these situations?
Sorry about the delay. That's actually a good point and I think about that often. At that point, a check-back is often required unless I mentally note that the A is of a particular suit. So in your example, "A8 round, heart" is enough to make me remember that the hearts are more relevant than the clubs.

N0rdm4nn

N0rdm4nn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
All good. I really like your mnemonics and might try it out next time. Regarding my question, you could also name the suit first according to the poker-suit ordering like in Stud (during the bring in) in alphabetic order from worst to best (Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts, Spades).

e.g.: 8A round would be 8 Clubs and A Hearts

Might be complicated, but I'm sure after a short time you can get used to it.

NvrBlufn

NvrBlufn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think the system is needlessly complicated even though it's clever. I think if you were serious about implementing it, then it would work best if you ordered your cards High to Low (which can be a live tell)...

Your examples had that arrangement, but if you were to do that you'll need 6 more naming conventions. Otherwise how are you going to remember which suit is? What is a reverse baseball, for instance?

No, instead all I do is say it in my head a couple times and then I'm golden, but I do it like this, alright:

:9c4::10h4: = Nine, Ten, club heart
:kd4::qs4: = King, Queen, diamond spade

This has worked fine for me all these years. I tend to remember the cards and the suits easily during the hand this way.

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
e.g.: 8A round would be 8 Clubs and A Hearts
I think this is great. It makes a lot of sense. Putting suits in alphabetical order using what Dave shared can simplify remembering.

Organize a Home Poker Game