Playing against hyper aggressive players

M

MaZeee323

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys,
do anyone have some tips for playing against aggressive players? Normally I'm a tight player, yesterday I played some Heads-Up games against a good friend of mine and he knows already my play style. He played very aggressive and bluffed many times, I knew sometimes that he is only bluffing but can't call or raise his move because the bets were very high (1/4 of starting stack even tough we had nearly the same stack ATM) and I had nothing, too. I was afraid that he has a higher Highcard and gets the pot so I folded many times even with a straight draw or flush draw.

So, online there are some aggressive players, too. I don't think that they got everytime something. My thought is I stay playing tight and try to get good hands, but how to get good hands when the bets comes pre flop everytime? I Can't always wait for pockets or good cards from AK to A10.

What are you doing if you are in some situations like this?

Greetings

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads up you should be raising every time it's on you to act with generally around 50% of hands.

Do not back off. Pairs normally win HU, often just high card wins.
Put the pressure on. Put your friend to hard decisions. Don't back off. stop over thinking.

He isn't your friend at the poker table. He is your worst enemy and you are trying to steal him blind. You are a passive tight player and from the sounds of it you suffer with your short handed play. Take notes from your friend and emulate. Heads up is a straight up exploitative style and being willing to push with a pair has to be in your wheel house HU.

NIT up and lose HU. Period.

Misofer

Misofer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to play more agressive. In a heads up I believe you need to be raising every hand to see how your opponent reacts and adjust accordingly.

M

MaZeee323

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, thank you both for your advice :) The next games will be soon and I'll try to go more aggressive.:fight:

D

dayontour

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great advice

Criplgamer and Misofer, great advice, I am also a tight player and seem to struggle against aggressive players.
I will include your advice more if I can in my game.
Thanks to you both.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we all run into this situation from time to time and you just have to readjust and look him up when you get pushed around, you can fight back without losing your bankroll, and even use his aggression to catch him. dont be afraid to lose and end up getting so low you have no power to fight back.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, heads up Poker is completely different from full-ring poker. What everyone said is correct, you need to adapt to utilizing more aggression in heads up because folding instantly gives the pot to your opponent.

I would like to add something though. You commented currently folding with a "straight draw or flush draw." Just to clarify, I think this is correct. Turning up your aggression doesn't mean you should be going for sucker bets with minus EV. If you do not have the equity for a profitable draw (them betting a quarter the the starting stack probably means you don't), then don't fish for draws. Play more "made hands." Things like two-pairs or top pair. Obviously, these shouldn't be over-valued (because they can lose of course as well), but at least they are bluff catchers if your opponent is bluffing with complete air.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hyper aggressive players will not allow you to enter the flop without losing chips. They will bet and bet until your stack runs out. The only way out is to determine a narrow range of starting hands against them.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm overpaying A Hi suiteds, broadways, small pairs, any pair, versus this type of player (of course depending on board texture) HU of course.
The reasoning of course is my image, card/combo elimination & essentially better range so 60% of the time I'm ahead if not more. Only for the hyper aggro

rbackmann

rbackmann

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait your turn then pounce and playing tight allow you the opportunity to set yours.

Tox1cel

Tox1cel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then be more aggresivly then him...but when you get AK AQ AJ AT play tight so he dont know you have good hand

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever tried to use Nash charts. There are different strategies but if you apply some of this charts it will help you a lot and you will have some advantage over your opponent. It is not good combating fire with fire but if you have equity you have to re-raise and don not be scared of shoving.

rodo 2285

rodo 2285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, they do not let you see 1 flop, you raise you exaggerate without sense, but well, they are ways of playing, from what I have seen, sometimes it gives results and they win big pots

izmoroc

izmoroc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have same problem(
So I choose just to wait really good cards to play and do not play by the rules of the aggressor.