Need advice on Live 3/5 NL all-in hand

B

beebooboobop

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently played a very tough spot in a live 3/5 NL hand. I would appreciate any feedback so that I can make better reads in the future.

We're playing 7-handed. It folds around to me in the CO and I look down at QTo. I bet 4xBB ($20). The player on the button calls, and so does the BB. For some context, the player on the button is a friend and plays a solid range. In this game I would label him as a TAG. The player in the BB has about a $3K stack and covers both of us. He's been mixing some limps as well as some open raises in his pre-flop strategy. I've seen him show down top pair when he bets 1/2 - 2/3 pot on the flop and met no resistance, as well as him showing Q9s for a flush on a paired board, going to a showdown.

I'm starting this hand with ~$800.

To a flop we go: Qd-10c-6d
I flop top two. When it checks around to me, I fire $40 into a pot of ~$60 for value. Both players call.

Turn: 7-c
It checks around to me again. With two flush draws on board now, I fire $120 into a pot of ~$180. I suspect both players may be on draws now with such a wet board. The player on the button lets his cards go. Now, the player in the BB check-raises me to $600. This is a weird line, and part of me thinks he's doing this as a semi-bluff (I think it's pretty standard to do this with a very strong combo-draw). I only have ~$120 more behind me, so this is more or less an all-in. I tank for a couple of minutes, not very happy about this spot that I'm in. I'm behind to all sets, but the only realistic one is 66. The hands I'm ahead of are mostly combo draws: Jd9d, Jc9c, 9d8d, 9c8c, etc. There's some two pair hands that I'm ahead of as well. 67s, T7s, T6s, Q6s, hands the BB very well may have.

I needle the player a little bit, asking him if he has a set. He shakes his head, and says "I gamble". At this point, I decide to stick it all in. He snap calls.

He tables 9h8h for the turned double-gutter straight. I table my measly two pair.

River: 3s
A total brick, and I lose this one :eek:

The straight was not even on my periphery, which was definitely a mistake in my analysis. My question is, is it correct to fold my two pair here? Other feedback appreciated as well. Thanks!

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hio,

A simple list of my thoughts:
I do not see him having most of those 2 pair hands you listed, with a 2-tone board I do not feel this particular player would call so light on the flop. MAYBE Q6 but this player doesn't strike me as that loose PF.

If he would do this with a combo-draw you have to call.

Would he check-raise you with a semi-bluff when you've shown nothing but strength?....probably

I can see in your post that your instinct thought you were behind (otherwise this is such a snap-call).

I think the maths says call. But your instinct says fold.
There is something you knew here, that you can't describe, that made this a fold.

If your instinct didn't kick in - this is a call.
If your instinct is normally right, even though it may not make logical sense - this is a fold.

That's how I see it anyway :)
Hope that helps !
And next time think about a potential gutshot hitting ^^

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently played a very tough spot in a live 3/5 NL hand. I would appreciate any feedback so that I can make better reads in the future.

We're playing 7-handed. It folds around to me in the CO and I look down at QTo. I bet 4xBB ($20). The player on the button calls, and so does the BB. For some context, the player on the button is a friend and plays a solid range. In this game I would label him as a TAG. The player in the BB has about a $3K stack and covers both of us. He's been mixing some limps as well as some open raises in his pre-flop strategy. I've seen him show down top pair when he bets 1/2 - 2/3 pot on the flop and met no resistance, as well as him showing Q9s for a flush on a paired board, going to a showdown.

I'm starting this hand with ~$800.

To a flop we go: Qd-10c-6d
I flop top two. When it checks around to me, I fire $40 into a pot of ~$60 for value. Both players call.

Turn: 7-c
It checks around to me again. With two flush draws on board now, I fire $120 into a pot of ~$180. I suspect both players may be on draws now with such a wet board. The player on the button lets his cards go. Now, the player in the BB check-raises me to $600. This is a weird line, and part of me thinks he's doing this as a semi-bluff (I think it's pretty standard to do this with a very strong combo-draw). I only have ~$120 more behind me, so this is more or less an all-in. I tank for a couple of minutes, not very happy about this spot that I'm in. I'm behind to all sets, but the only realistic one is 66. The hands I'm ahead of are mostly combo draws: Jd9d, Jc9c, 9d8d, 9c8c, etc. There's some two pair hands that I'm ahead of as well. 67s, T7s, T6s, Q6s, hands the BB very well may have.

I needle the player a little bit, asking him if he has a set. He shakes his head, and says "I gamble". At this point, I decide to stick it all in. He snap calls.

He tables 9h8h for the turned double-gutter straight. I table my measly two pair.

River: 3s
A total brick, and I lose this one :eek:

The straight was not even on my periphery, which was definitely a mistake in my analysis. My question is, is it correct to fold my two pair here? Other feedback appreciated as well. Thanks!

Hand analysis:

You lose to:
Not sure what your suit of Q and 10 is so one pair of QQ and TT
QxQx -
TxTx
6h6c
6h6s
6c6s
7d7s
7d7h
7s7h
16 combos of 98 (s and os)
23 combos lose to ( i took out QQ as I think it would have been raised pre, I did keep 10s as they go either way)

You beat:
AKd and c
AQd and c
AJd and c
A10d (not sure what 10 you had not including in club draw)
A9d and c
A8d and c
A7d (not included in club draw)
A5d and c
A4d and c
A3d and c
A2d and c -20 Axd and c draws
KJd
J9d
J8d
87d
54d
43d
32d
KJc
J8c
86c
65c
54c
43c
32c
34 combos that you beat(the 98s and os draws already made the nuts and are included in hand that beat you)

You could add 10 6 10 7 Q6 Q7 but think it is outside his range.

Based on this math and you could easily removes the AK and AQ varieties if you know they would raise them pre flop. You are ahead of this range 65-35 from a card stand point.

From the pot stand point $900 after he raises your turn bet and action on you to call $480 more or all in for $620 more. Just the call would be 480/900+480 = 34.7% and all in would be 1600 effective plus the button chips from pre and flop of 20+40 = 1660 ...620/1660 = 37%

So based on this and if he played draws this way, then you made the correct play. Even removing more of the premium holding I think you are still far ahead of the entire range.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I should say that the ranges I used are pretty loose for Villain. You could remove the lower suited connectors from his list. The purpose was to get the equity calculation, which if you remove these cards you will still have plenty of equity. Again this is only based on if he will make this move on a flush/straight draw.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After the flop, I would probably have played it the same. Preflop, I would have probably folded Q,10 os.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands