Are luck and chances the same thing in poker?

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing a live tournament. I had pocket 77s in position. I raised 3 times big blind. 2 limper called me. The flop came A/Q/5 rainbow.
They check to me so I raised half of the pot. Person to my left goes all in
middle position folds
I made the call.

He shows A/6 suited
I catch a 7 on the turn and won the hand

The guy got upset and said: You just got lucky.

so, My question: who got lucky on this hand. I had the favorite hand pre-flop, and I made the Hero called after the flop and won.
He was behind pre-flop made the Hero call and got a top pair with a crappy kicker.

Who got lucky here?
Or I ended up winning this hand because mathematical I was ahead pre-flop so I had better chances?

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the money went in you were WAY behind....like you had only an 9% chance to win that hand behind. Pre-flop is really irrelevant to your question. Your raise was standard. Him calling, depending if it's a short table or not, and his position, is possibly ok, too. But when the rest went in....and you spiking your 2 outer...you were the "lucky" one. To answer your bigger question....luck and chances are not the same thing. Chances are merely the mathematical odds of hitting whatever you need to hit. Hitting a small chance....like in your case....that's "luck" in some people's words. I say it's just that you were part of the 9% statistic.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing a live tournament. I had pocket 77s in position. I raised 3 times big blind. 2 limper called me. The flop came A/Q/5 rainbow.
middle position folds
I made the call.

He shows A/6 suited

so, My question: who got lucky on this hand. I had the favorite hand pre-flop, and I made the Hero called after the flop and won.
He was behind pre-flop made the Hero call and got a top pair with a crappy kicker.

Who got lucky here?
Or I ended up winning this hand because mathematical I was ahead pre-flop so I had better chances?

Luck and chances for me are completely different things,even if a lot of chances still do not win if you do not smile luck

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the money went in you were WAY behind....like you had only an 9% chance to win that hand behind. Pre-flop is really irrelevant to your question. Your raise was standard. Him calling, depending if it's a short table or not, and his position, is possibly ok, too. But when the rest went in....and you spiking your 2 outer...you were the "lucky" one. To answer your bigger question....luck and chances are not the same thing. Chances are merely the mathematical odds of hitting whatever you need to hit. Hitting a small chance....like in your case....that's "luck" in some people's words. I say it's just that you were part of the 9% statistic.

I agree, after the flop I was behind but my point is that the hand switched 2 times.

I had 66.91%
He had 32.74% (that is eliminating the 3rd person in the pot since I never saw her cards.)

So I was the favorite pre-flop. Based on his concept "luck" didn't he got lucky hitting the ACE on the flop?
plus, going all in after my raise I believe was a bad play, I was representing a stronger hand, I think he could has just call and see what I do on the turn.
I'm not really arguing the way the hand was play, I'm arguing he calling me lucky because I hit the 7, in my opinion he was lucky to hit the A as well.

and I agree, chances and luck are not the same, but they are intertwine

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
middle position folds
I made the call.

He shows A/6 suited

Who got lucky here?

You, at the point you went all in you were around 10% to win. Got to know when to fold em.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, after the flop I was behind but my point is that the hand switched 2 times.

I had 66.91%
He had 32.74% (that is eliminating the 3rd person in the pot since I never saw her cards.)

So I was the favorite pre-flop. Based on his concept "luck" didn't he got lucky hitting the ACE on the flop?
plus, going all in after my raise I believe was a bad play, I was representing a stronger hand, I think he could has just call and see what I do on the turn.
I'm not really arguing the way the hand was play, I'm arguing he calling me lucky because I hit the 7, in my opinion he was lucky to hit the A as well.

and I agree, chances and luck are not the same, but they are intertwine

I understand what you're saying....However, everything preflop was standard action. Right? But yes, I question his play too...We all make bad plays and calls....it's a part of the game. Yes, you were ahead and yes, 66% of the time you'd win a flip. You also can't fault him for calling with top pair if he didn't believe you on the flop. I mean, you could say he was "lucky" on the flop. He could say you were "lucky" on the turn. Right? You both could say that. The reality is that both of you merely hit your cards under the lower chances of the probability chart. That's all it is. We agree that the terms luck and chance are different. I think most people do. I think neither of you were "lucky" The results both pre-flop, flop and turn simply fell into the lower chances on the chart, if that makes sense?

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand what you're saying....However, everything preflop was standard action. Right? But yes, I question his play too...We all make bad plays and calls....it's a part of the game. Yes, you were ahead and yes, 66% of the time you'd win a flip. You also can't fault him for calling with top pair if he didn't believe you on the flop. I mean, you could say he was "lucky" on the flop. He could say you were "lucky" on the turn. Right? You both could say that. The reality is that both of you merely hit your cards under the lower chances of the probability chart. That's all it is. We agree that the terms luck and chance are different. I think most people do. I think neither of you were "lucky" The results both pre-flop, flop and turn simply fell into the lower chances on the chart, if that makes sense?

That's exactly my point, what happened happens on that hand, My point is that he called me lucky but he made a bad play and then questioned my play (that was also bad). The kind of people that question others people games but play awful themselves.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's exactly my point, what happened happens on that hand, My point is that he called me lucky but he made a bad play and then questioned my play (that was also bad). The kind of people that question others people games but play awful themselves.

Ok....b/c I understood your question as more the difference between luck and chance. I didn't realize your main point was that he shouldn't have said anything. I mean...people will stay stuff....it happens.