Live poker and empathy

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker isn't often perceived as a very warm enterprise, it has an image of being one of card sharks and big money, but this is not the world I identify with. I am drawn to poker for many reasons, one of which being the people I meet at the poker table.

However, this might be my biggest weakness of all and the only thing holding me back from being a great player. While of course I am not an idiot and understand that competition is competition, I find no joy in eliminating a nice person from a tournament. I love winning the hand and chipping up and progressing in the game, but I don't like seeing a disappointed person (unless of course they were an A-hole).

But at the poker tables is the only place where my empathetic nature doesn't make sense to anyone. I get chided by the older folks for my softness. Does poker only attract cold people? Or do players simply detach emotion from the game?

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand what you are saying, but I just keep in mind that they are trying to eliminate me also, lol, and that its just a game and everyone understands that. I've stopped trying to think of poker as a place to try and make friends and I'm less concerned about seeing a disappointed person and more concerned about that disappointed person not being me. Which is way to often

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly, I've had my fair share of disappointment at the poker table, so I guess I can afford to be on the other end of it now and then.

L

L3vin3Th3Dr3am77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm similar in that aspect; i love to talk with other players. However, i kind of use it to my advantage as well i guess you could say. On one end, getting people talking can diistract them from their game and also by talking I allow myself to to keep from overthinking. Sounds counterproductive because it is a thinking man's game; I have a tendency to think TOO much though and it can me into trouble.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I usually play online so emotions over the Internet are not very tangible. Perhaps when you play live tournaments, the emotions of other players are more noticeable to you. Although in general, I'm not interested in the emotions of other players. I always try to focus on the outcome.
Good luck.

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hello Guccipix,

My wife felt bad for sucking out on someone and when she apologized, the person said, "No sorry in poker." Since then, she has been fearless. You can't let your empathy hold back your competitive spirit. Everyone at the table will understand.

Good luck to you,
Brian

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotions are part of poker game and good control of them is needed for success without any doubt but you should not feel guilty for someone else loss. After all this is a game where you are playing directly against other players to take their money. If someone looses money which he needs for normal living it is his fault as he do not have good bankroll management. Yes sometimes you can be sorry inside yourself for such person but poker is such game that for someone to win money other person should loose money. I always respect the other players and do not like people trying to abuse other players and i also never do so but i am also aware that there is no place for friendship at the poker table. Even friends play at their maximum against each other when they are on the table.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I always try to use the emotions of my opponents in my favor.
Personally, I am rather balanced and do not succumb to any emotional actions.
Good luck.

F

felipeanicio

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have good intentions, but at the time of the game, you have to take advantage of everything even from your empathy or the weakness of adversaries like you.

Organize a Home Poker Game