Live game leaks

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I finally played live last night and cashed out of 100+ but was all over the place in ways that I either must of forgot or just did not know lol …

I’ve read a lot of poker books but there just isn’t a poker book out there about the basics of “live play” and what to know, or if these details were explained I simply forgot them…

Either way, I could use help plugging these ridiculous leaks so I don’t slow the games down in the future.

I will be posting more on this thread, just waking up and having coffee so here are some.

——
1. The ante and the blinds - what the f$&k?
The ante starts and only the big blind pays and I get that, but had some confusion, in fact so confused I can’t even remember what the issue was exactly..The ante and blinds are raised, but the blinds pay the same blind for three rounds of each new level? What? This screwed me up something stupid. Can someone just explain what happens when the blinds and antes are raised? If I ever felt like an idiot, last night was it.

2. The math has me screwed up, but I knew that going in, I can calculate basic odds, I just still cannot do the math to know what to easily pay if being raised “on” on top of blinds without asking the dealer, especially if there is multiple bets..is there a way to do fast math or do I need to just ask the cost each time? I think this is my largest leak that takes away from me reading people and focusing on cards.

3. I understand in daily tournaments players don’t or shouldn’t “tank”, but there was a couple hands I just needed time, it’s as if players could not understand that (they never said as much but I could sense it), and by time, I’m talking at most needing 30 seconds (which only happened a couple of times for me) what’s the best phrase to use when you simply need a little extra time..it’s not asking for much, especially with all-ins near the bubble. Sometimes you just need a little time on occasion lol. Or is that only an option for higher stakes games?

Thanks

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. The ante and the blinds - what the f$&k?
The ante starts and only the big blind pays and I get that, but had some confusion, in fact so confused I can’t even remember what the issue was exactly..The ante and blinds are raised, but the blinds pay the same blind for three rounds of each new level? What? This screwed me up something stupid. Can someone just explain what happens when the blinds and antes are raised? If I ever felt like an idiot, last night was it.

2. The math has me screwed up, but I knew that going in, I can calculate basic odds, I just still cannot do the math to know what to easily pay if being raised “on” on top of blinds without asking the dealer, especially if there is multiple bets..is there a way to do fast math or do I need to just ask the cost each time? I think this is my largest leak that takes away from me reading people and focusing on cards.

3. I understand in daily tournaments players don’t or shouldn’t “tank”, but there was a couple hands I just needed time, it’s as if players could not understand that (they never said as much but I could sense it), and by time, I’m talking at most needing 30 seconds (which only happened a couple of times for me) what’s the best phrase to use when you simply need a little extra time..it’s not asking for much, especially with all-ins near the bubble. Sometimes you just need a little time on occasion lol. Or is that only an option for higher stakes games?

#1 - Not sure what you are asking here. Only thing I can think of is a structure where some levels stay the same blinds & antes. Also some structures have levels like 100/200/200 and then 100/200/300 (SB/BB/BB ante)

#2 - Ask if you are unsure. It takes practice and FWIW dealers should not announce 'How much more' , only announce total bet sizes. Announcing 'How much more' is viewed as potential for inducing action.

#3 - Don't worry about it. You shouldn't give a Fu*K about what other players may think, you're not in a popularity contest. Take whatever time you think you need, you'll know when you start to get out of line.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
#1 - Not sure what you are asking here. Only thing I can think of is a structure where some levels stay the same blinds & antes. Also some structures have levels like 100/200/200 and then 100/200/300 (SB/BB/BB ante)

#2 - Ask if you are unsure. It takes practice and FWIW dealers should not announce 'How much more' , only announce total bet sizes. Announcing 'How much more' is viewed as potential for inducing action.

#3 - Don't worry about it. You shouldn't give a Fu*K about what other players may think, you're not in a popularity contest. Take whatever time you think you need, you'll know when you start to get out of line.
Thanks for reply and info!! I will look at it again, I swear the first three orbits of the new ante and blind raises at the tournament, the blinds stayed the same cost each time for small blinds and big blinds then raised to rates on screen after 3 orbits (let me play again to confirm what I’m talking about) I was just busy paying attention to players to even put energy into figuring it out lol - Very rusty, but I’ll improve…

I think I did a bit of a jerk move now that I think about it, but when I’m playing I just go for the knockouts when it seems like the time, anyways the jerk move was a guy just did a rebuy and shoved except one chip..I raised him his last chip and wasn’t thinking at the time that was a jerk move, he didn’t care, just tapped the table after losing with my call (which I guess means game over?) I don’t care about people getting busted out, but even I think it’s kinda a jerk move to raise someone’s last chip now that I think about it…

Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited:
Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games