Lets chat about GTO in live games

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Total posts
Chips
So, I am studying GTO for live games, and sure, they may work against pros (if pros are playing GTO also?), but some of the % decisons per charts just seem ridiculous to me. Especially the blind vs blind.

Do these charts really work against rec players? Again, I am not looking to be pro, just to play games to make extra income.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, I am studying GTO for live games, and sure, they may work against pros (if pros are playing GTO also?), but some of the % decisons per charts just seem ridiculous to me. Especially the blind vs blind.

Do these charts really work against rec players? Again, I am not looking to be pro, just to play games to make extra income.

What charts are you looking at?

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Total posts
Chips
What charts are you looking at?
The ones I am looking at are GTO charts from Johnathan Little, but I imagine there are others out there as well? The game is in theory solved via solvers and there are charts that display the stats, or rather explain the percentage of times you should play in each situation per position/stack size/RFI/OrVSRaisers or limps etc.

Obviously, nobody is a computer and can remember all of the data, but to get a better understanding of it I feel would benefit my live game. I just am having a hard time seeing some of the logic in some of the “solved” equations.

This makes me think that GTO really only does work against players playing GTO…So I am trying to see how I would really benefit to study GTO, I am puzzled TBH:). Is it helpful to learn? I just do not know.

I did say I believe that GTO would not work in the past against players not playing GTO, but want to take another look at it just to be sure lol

Thanks

Last edited:
Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The ones I am looking at are GTO charts from Johnathan Little, but I imagine there are others out there as well? The game is in theory solved via solvers and there are charts that display the stats, or rather explain the percentage of times you should play in each situation per position/stack size/RFI/OrVSRaisers or limps etc.

Obviously, nobody is a computer and can remember all of the data, but to get a better understanding of it I feel would benefit my live game. I just am having a hard time seeing some of the logic in some of the “solved” equations.

This makes me think that GTO really only does work against players playing GTO…So I am trying to see how I would really benefit to study GTO, I am puzzled TBH:). Is it helpful to learn? I just do not know.

I did say I believe that GTO would not work in the past against players not playing GTO, but want to take another look at it just to be sure lol

Thanks

I have known a few players to keep a chart on their smartphone during live games.

They can't use a smartphone while they are in a hand - but when not in a hand they are checking and confirming the chart's recommendations for opening range/calling range depending on their seat position.

You do this a couple of dozen times and you will begin to memorize and predict the range per the chart.

I agree that GTO is not perfect - but it is one approach to the game.

Good luck !

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Total posts
Chips
There has been a debate about GTO vs Exploitative for a while now.

If you play live low stakes like 1/2 or even 2/5 most of that stuff will be irrelevant IMO. Think of it like this: your opponents will be level zero or level 1 thinkers, and GTO is like level 50. Play level 2.

Pretty easy to beat live low stakes if you have self discipline and know how to play. Don't tilt.

That's it. EZ game.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Total posts
Chips
There has been a debate about GTO vs Exploitative for a while now.

If you play live low stakes like 1/2 or even 2/5 most of that stuff will be irrelevant IMO. Think of it like this: your opponents will be level zero or level 1 thinkers, and GTO is like level 50. Play level 2.

Pretty easy to beat live low stakes if you have self discipline and know how to play. Don't tilt.

That's it. EZ game.
I like it! That is exactly how I have been playing, a solid strategy, going into hours into tournaments and eventually getting into the money, I like the level 2 analogy! Solid level 2 is my game plan. I may of exposed my playing style a bit (For Now:)) , but I learned a lot just now and have a focus of what to do at rec games moving forward. Thank you for the awesome reply!

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GTO strategy will be a good way out in the game against an unknown opponent or when you have not yet figured out how to play against a specific opponent. But then you will need to exploit his weaknesses, otherwise you will lose money.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games