Just Checking

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing in a live tournament several years ago, and I checked one player in front of me out of turn. Of course he bet knowing I wasn't strong.

My question is, could I have raised him?

I asked the floor manager later, so I know what his answer was. I was just wondering what y'all think.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My understanding is you are committed to checking only if he checks or folds, he bets you no longer have the option of checking.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My understanding is you are committed to checking only if he checks or folds, he bets you no longer have the option of checking.

Yep, that was the answer I got from the floor person.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This has happened a lot but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone raise. If someone bets out of turn, then the bet stands. If you bet $50 out of turn but opponent bets $100, you can’t take the $50 back and can’t raise. You either call the $100 or fold and lose the $50. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This has happened a lot but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone raise. If someone bets out of turn, then the bet stands. If you bet $50 out of turn but opponent bets $100, you can’t take the $50 back and can’t raise. You either call the $100 or fold and lose the $50. Correct me if I’m wrong.[/Q

Was not aware that one could only fold or call not raise.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This has happened a lot but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone raise. If someone bets out of turn, then the bet stands. If you bet $50 out of turn but opponent bets $100, you can’t take the $50 back and can’t raise. You either call the $100 or fold and lose the $50. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Was not aware that one could only fold or call not raise.

Please see TDA Rule 40

'If action changes, the OOT action is not binding; any bet or raise is returned to the OOT player who has all options including: calling, raising, or folding.'

So you bet $50 OOT and the correct in turn player bets any amount, the OOT player has his $50 returned and play continues as normal.

Now if the in turn player had checked, the OOT players $50 bet would stand.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please see TDA Rule 40

'If action changes, the OOT action is not binding; any bet or raise is returned to the OOT player who has all options including: calling, raising, or folding.'

So you bet $50 OOT and the correct in turn player bets any amount, the OOT player has his $50 returned and play continues as normal.

Now if the in turn player had checked, the OOT players $50 bet would stand.

Good to know. I could’ve swore this happened and the player lost the $50. It was a while ago so maybe Im confusing what actually happened.