"How Much Do You Have Left"

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know that players sometimes use this line to watch an opponents reaction to try and catch a bluff. Is there any tell in particular they are looking for?

Here is an example:

The only thing I noticed is he withdrew slightly from the table and maybe a bit of hesitation. Any thoughts?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know that players sometimes use this line to watch an opponents reaction to try and catch a bluff. Is there any tell in particular they are looking for?

Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9gB1VbweoQ

The only thing I noticed is he withdrew slightly from the table and maybe a bit of hesitation. Any thoughts?

Thank U 4 Posting

The hand covering the mouth is a tell that leans towards bluffs.

Phil may have asked him to speak to see if he would uncover his mouth. He did not really uncover it and went back to fully covering it again.

Now Phil has to decide if it is a true tell or a false signal.

:hmmmm2::confused::cool:

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
idk in this example, but for non-pros a lot of the time you can see genuine surprise by that question, and that's because whatever line the opponent took they weren't really thinking about getting shoved on. It's a way of asking a legitimate question in the game (and sometimes you really just want to know) while also indicating to your opponent "I'm not just deciding between fold or call here".

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback guys :).

I actually cover my mouth regardless of if I bluff or not. I think it's just neutral body language? Unless of course it's done defensively.

Maybe he's also checking the duration of the glance at his stack? I wouldn't care so much how much I have left if I know I'm strong.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"How much do you have left" is a daunting statement to hear from your opponent...it often means you're about to face a big raise or all in move...tough to call with just "Good" cards...you need a monster hand to call after that.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the feedback guys :).

I actually cover my mouth regardless of if I bluff or not. I think it's just neutral body language? Unless of course it's done defensively.

Maybe he's also checking the duration of the glance at his stack? I wouldn't care so much how much I have left if I know I'm strong.

Thank U 4 Responding

The poker brat Phil Helmuth also covers his mouth all the time. He may have noticed he was giving a tell and now always covers to hide the tell.

That is the problem with tells. Is it true or false?

Phil often uncovers his mouth completely when he needs to react to something. This player did not and he was bluffing.

:hmmmm2::eek:

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank U 4 Responding

The poker brat Phil Helmuth also covers his mouth all the time. He may have noticed he was giving a tell and now always covers to hide the tell.

That is the problem with tells. Is it true or false?

Phil often uncovers his mouth completely when he needs to react to something. This player did not and he was bluffing.

:hmmmm2::eek:

I know when your lips tighten up (get thinner) that is a sign of getting tense, angry, or nervous, or caught of guard, it's very hard to not do this because for most people it's hard to notice they're doing it.

Maybe that's why Phil Ivey always did this open mouth fish look as his poker face :laugh::

(and that's probably why Phil Helmuth covers his mouth up)

large_PhilIvey_WSOP_EV8_Day1.jpg

Loky13

Loky13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you hear the phrase "how many chips you have left" he's usually preparing to bluff or he has The monster, either way, If The pot isn't too big i usually fold If I didn t sense The bluff

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here can be used a term called "reverse psychology". As he is covering his mouth and if we all know that is sign for bluff, player who know this can use it this move when he doesn't bluff. So against it, or opposite, that's why is called reverse. If he had something here and knowing all the moves, hands, eyes, face expressions, body movement, really for man who knows all this stuff he can use it to make others think what he want they to think. Quite simple and complicated at same time.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how much you have left is generally a false tell .

remember weak means strong , strong means weak. Its a psychological ploy to mess with you . Generally you should 3 bet , or push every chance you get when u get heads up with a player like this.

Players that use this like are often in Middle position with weak unmade medium strength hands.

Check raise push all in when u get them heads up with hands like 88+ AK, AQ, KJs+ A2s+ Top pair and any flush draws.

Generally this question will come from someone who you have bet into and they have position on you. Most times it's followed by a weak reraise or a check/fold when pushed back on.

* If a big stack aggressive opponent does this he likely has a decent unmade hand, and wants to know if putting you all in would hurt his stack.

Any 20 bb stack should check shove any 30-40bb stack close to the bubble that asks this question.

Strong means weak.
weak means strong.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally I have found this to occur on wet boards against loose agrrssive opponents who have position on me and generally they are looking at back door draws and gut shot straight draws with an over card on the board. Check into players like this and then raise them pot size beta or push .

Generally they won't ask again. You will either be walking to rail , or he will be cursing you under his breath for "sucking out" on his medium strength unmade hand.