How to laydown a good hand in live game?

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you have any advice?
I know how to count combo but just cannot get rid of nice hands postflop.

Example:
I raised with KQo from EP, got 6 callers , early stage MTT
Flop KcQs3c
I bet 80% pot, got one MP caller , and then BTN shove (~2*pot size)
perhaps BTN could push with JcTc...but over a solid jam range [33,KQ,JcTc]
I am behind.

online game I am better at laying down in such situation.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your hand is good enough to call that shove. Even if you're behind, you have outs. There aren't really many hands he could be playing there that are better than yours. Maybe he has AK and thinks his top pair with best kicker is good enough, maybe he has an Ace-high flush draw or just a straight draw.

In your place I would go all in to make the player who called your bet fold and take my chances.

Last edited:
Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What I see is that it is about "tells" and card ranges. What happened in the past rounds? Have you been trying to pinpoint everyone's cards? You can be on a pure bluff as long as the information is there and you are reasonably sure of what to put the "other guy" on.
Negreanu once told me, "no fear" is key..but you need the knowledge behind that attitude.
Though not a direct answer I hope this helps.

guicor30

guicor30

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The important thing is that you learn to read your opponent; Only when you learn to read the expressions of your opponents can you play your hands with better results.

I hope my advice has helped you. good luck at the tables

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to get better at hand reading in this situation

Casecrs

Casecrs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Judgement at the time

Judgement at the time of the situation, That will take experience and times of doing the wrong thing to learn the right way.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play live regularly, so the advantage that gives me is that i often play with the same guys who turn up week after week, my advice is to keep consistent, by that i mean utilise your table image, try not to bluff, remember that any time you go to showdown, your range is noted by others, basic poker principles i know but i apply them successfully when i play live and i am a winning live player.
Note the same with the players at your table, who raises early position, late position, bet sizing and pretty soon you will find yourself putting them on hand ranges.
The key to playing live is paying attention on each orbit of cards, look for strange plays, there is a lot of free information out there as players can be fairly stupid as you know sometimes!
Don't be too hard on yourself with the example play you have provided and i will tell you why...
Live play massively encourages all players to set mine..
Live play massively encourages players to play paint of all varieties
2 Pr is a deadly weapon for flop hitters live who struggle to play or bet post flop..

Equally - the hand you played and how you played it wasn't a bad shout - but maybe the position (EP) is the problem, the fact that you got 6 callers may tell you something.
I find folding in live play easier than online..i have a structured starting hand range that i stick to..
good luck with your next live game and please let us know how you progress...

Distort99

Distort99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with this 100% i just used it on sunday at a tournament. you have to keep your image good or they'll know what your doing every time. i also would say dont do the same things over and over again, try to stay away from any patterns and obviously look for theres. doing things repetitive is human nature. so keep it in mind.
I play live regularly, so the advantage that gives me is that i often play with the same guys who turn up week after week, my advice is to keep consistent, by that i mean utilise your table image, try not to bluff, remember that any time you go to showdown, your range is noted by others, basic poker principles i know but i apply them successfully when i play live and i am a winning live player.
Note the same with the players at your table, who raises early position, late position, bet sizing and pretty soon you will find yourself putting them on hand ranges.
The key to playing live is paying attention on each orbit of cards, look for strange plays, there is a lot of free information out there as players can be fairly stupid as you know sometimes!
Don't be too hard on yourself with the example play you have provided and i will tell you why...
Live play massively encourages all players to set mine..
Live play massively encourages players to play paint of all varieties
2 Pr is a deadly weapon for flop hitters live who struggle to play or bet post flop..

Equally - the hand you played and how you played it wasn't a bad shout - but maybe the position (EP) is the problem, the fact that you got 6 callers may tell you something.
I find folding in live play easier than online..i have a structured starting hand range that i stick to..
good luck with your next live game and please let us know how you progress...

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play more tighter if you don't feel comfortable playing KQ off suit out of position. Play KQo in a later position to avoid playing that hand in a 6 handed pot.

As played, when you have 6 players on the flop and someone is raising you it's a good chance they have a lot of equity. Like you mentioned potential open ended straight flush draws and bottom sets of 3s.

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really, train in GTO using the computer until it comes naturally.

Then you don't question your moves and they are 'automatic' in a given situation.

Now, if you want to vary based upon what happens, great.

Practice my boy, practice...

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you have any advice?

Example:
Flop KcQs3c
I am behind.

Effective stack sizes, how big did you raise pre, and stake played (300 NLHE I would guess) would help in the hand above. Did everyone fold to the BTN shove, or did the cards play out?

Just answering the question, if the hand doesn't make sense then call. Depending on stack sizes, a call couldn't have been that bad.

A

alvinw

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couple things. Size down your CBet. 33-40% lets you bluff more and the pots is smaller for Turn play. 2nd Snap call and rebuy if you lose. the BB hands more draws and Bad two pairs then you and KK QQ much less likely. so 33 is the only better hand here for the most part. and 25% of the time you'll outdraw him. get this in. and gl.

T

tomku2005

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you have any advice?

Example:
Flop KcQs3c
I am behind.

Just use live reads at this point i would say if the guy seems comfortable and is not slouching looking away from the table then fold the hand and go on to the next

S

serialy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like you may have been out of position with six calls and depending on how much and when in the tournament you bet 80% of the pot, that could be a lot. After seeing the flop, calling or folding is acceptable. As others have mentioned, your best odds (at that point) are reading the table/player/hand. Good luck out there.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Top 10 Games