How do you remember reads in live poker?

T

turnupthebb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CH
Chips
I know how to do it online. Look at showdown hands and take notes from that. It can show if they overbluff some spots etc. WHen you have seen enough showdown hands from a villain you can color code them for being LAG/TAG/Loose Passive/Nit etc etc.

But live it's impossible to keep track of all these showdown hands and notes all inside my head.

Maybe I can do it if I focus only on one player and forget and ignore everyone else. Even if there are 4 fish on the table, i will only exploit one of them. Everyone else I will play GTO against because I can't keep track of notes/reads on everyone inside my head.

I wonder if it's even good to watch hands play out that my target to exploit isn't in because it could make me mix up which memorized notes are from my target and which are from other random players. Kind of like if i'm trying to count to 1000 and then someone else is saying numbers to make me forget where I was.

What is your strategy? How do you do it?

I've read some rare individuals will actually take out a notebook and pen and start writing their notes down, or do same thing in a phone App. But I have never seen anyone actually do that.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You don't have to record every little thing in your mind, unless of course you are blessed with a photographic memory. :) If you see someone do something at a table you will remember it. If the person habitually calls and bets with poor hands you don't have to recall every hand, because you'll know that he or she does certain things. Same goes for any tells you might notice.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
It's overwhelming at first. Eventually it becomes second-nature just like how you don't need to tell your brain to step one foot forward then next in-order to walk, Your memory will improve as you practice it, And like Emily said; you don't have to record every little thing in your mind , Also use notes in your phone, learn the shorthand - can type a detailed hand up in under a minute.

Organize a Home Poker Game