First time playing Live

SRNegras

SRNegras

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good night people! I'm about to start my journey in face-to-face poker, face to face, eye to eye. I would like, if you could, that you give me tips on what I will find, how to behave in the live tournament. I would like tips. Thanks and hugs!

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Don't drink too much alcohol before the tournament and during the game. Before the game, enjoy a Lomi lomi nui massage :D

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at your hand only once and memorize it. Preferably when the preflop action comes to you not sooner. That's because many players give away their intentions when they look at their hand. Some players fold out of turn which gives the earlier position player positions knowledge of their action. And don't make the mistake, when there three clubs on the board, to have to look at your hand to see if you have a club. They will know you don't already have a flush because if you had two clubs you would have remembered that. Memorize both the rank and suit of your hand the one time you look at it.

Learn how to physically guard your hand so it doesn't get accidentally knocked into the muck. People usually do with with a card protector but you can also just keep your fingers on it. But don't cover it completely other players need to see you're still in the hand.

Learn how to keep track of the number of chips in the pot. You will need to add up the bets each round of betting to do that. It's going to take some practise but this is very important.

If you need to, at most places you can ask how many chips are in another's stack. It's typically against the rules for a player to hide a 10K chip below a pile of 1K chips but sometimes it's hard to see what a player has so don't hesitate to ask if its allowed.

Be careful about physical tells. They can be misleading and that will cause mistakes. Body language differs from person to person. A signal from one player may mean strength and the same from another may mean weakness.

But do from the start pay close attention to your own body language. Keep in mind when you bluff if they catch you they will pay off your value bets more in the future. So its not bad. And keep in mind when you value bet, at least when you don't have the nuts, they could call with the nuts. So no matter what you're doing, no matter how strong or weak your hand is, just be as emotionally indifferent as you can. That's really the way to play all the time so you don't get tilted. If you get tilted live it will be obvious to everyone.

dartwind

dartwind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good night people! I'm about to start my journey in face-to-face poker, face to face, eye to eye. I would like, if you could, that you give me tips on what I will find, how to behave in the live tournament. I would like tips. Thanks and hugs!

I hope you had a good time. Please tell us about it- where did you play and what happened?

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i played live few times in my City... (03 times) and i never got ITM....

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to be ready, that offline poker much and much slower than online poker, just because shuffling cards and card distribution is slower, but there can be a lot of interesting people) Good luck)

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Hmmm... I've never played live poker. Apparently you need to pay less attention to others. And play your game. No matter what.

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience!!

Just be patient. Get a feel for your opponents and just pay attention. If this is truly your first live tournament just enjoy yourself!! You don’t want your first live poker experience to put a sour taste in your mouth. Just relax. Be patient. Pay attention. Good luck!

Z

Stay Safe

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The thing that caused the most trouble for me, and I just about had it down when Covid-19 came along, is computing the size of the pot. I'd never done it before last December and the 2.5 months I had to practice wasn't enough. What helped me was to just estimate for hands I was in, and try to be more exact for hands where I'd folded on the flop. It really isn't that hard for most people, but like most skills it takes a good bit of practice to master.

Have fun on your first time because online can never duplicate the social part of playing live. :)

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I advise you to watch strategic videos on youtube or twitch and to be inspired by them for your games. it is important to be well trained to make the right decisions. it is necessary to show rigor and discipline and especially a lot of patience. I wish you good luck for your next games.

Organize a Home Poker Game