First PLO Tournament

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am planning on playing my first live plo tourney next week. I have the most experience in hold’em so I was wondering what changes I need to make to my game or different strategies I need to use playing a plo tournament?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am planning on playing my first live plo tourney next week. I have the most experience in hold’em so I was wondering what changes I need to make to my game or different strategies I need to use playing a plo tournament?

Is this a PLO tourney or PLO8 tourney

If PLO

1. Tighten up your range. (There are SO many more combinations of winning hands therefore the chances strength of your hand in general changes.
2. Abuse position. (Not necessarily a change, because we do this in holdem as well, but it's super important in PLO because of the added pressure on most players already playing super tight. Most don't want to get into a pot OOP
3. Don't fall into the trap of flopping top set, and perceived outs getting there on the turn or river and think (I can't be that unlucky) you're not "that unlucky" it's a massive part of the game you will flop top set and have to fold before showdown WAY more than in holdem.
4. play a lot of your middle double suited connector hands (78ddQJhh), Play wrap hands especially double suited (67ss89cc)
5. Aces are nice but are especially vulnerable in PLO Proceed with caution

Ultimately use all your holdem knowledge mixed with a little tighter range, and understand the ease of flopping good. That being said, if you find someone on your table that proves to be a constant "bluffer" Use position to "out bluff" them using your perceived range in good spots and crush them with value when you can. Good luck.

If it's a PLO8 I'll add some extra stuff. But I'm sure its most likely PLO They don't generally do PLO8 tournaments.