Faking tells live

S

StraightValue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it just me or if you notice someone is paying way too much attention to what everyone else is doing, do you randomly check your cards just mess with them or something similar?

What's your go to fake tell?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a slippery slope because you are guessing how they will react to the fake tell (if they even notice it). Even an observant player may not know what to do with the info you're giving off. If they make the wrong adjustment based on the info then we can easily level our self into making even larger mistakes. For example if you give a weak tell to try to induce a bet, they may check instead to draw for free. Or you could give a strength tell trying to induce a fold but they interpret it the wrong way and raise. I would keep it super simple. Checking hole cards when you have the flush seems simple enough. Anything more elaborate isn't worth the effort unless you have 100s of hours playing with the player and know how they will react. But if that is the case they likely may read through the fake and still surprise you if they are any good. And if they aren't good, do we even need the extra effort of fake tells?

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://youtu.be/4yWaSfGosbQ (don't do this lol)

I've used table talk to mislead and confuse amateur players i've never played with before. Ie: just having a conversation about poker and casually mentioning something that very subtly suggests I haven't hit a hand when I have. Like for example, talking about my odds for an out (or pretending to count outs lol) and generally acting like i don't care about that hand because I have nothing. Or something even more subtle. Only works early on with people who don't know you. It absolutely has to sound unintentional like you mentioned it without concious thought as part of a conversation. Or else it's blatantly obvious. I wouldn't recommend it really lol, it can seriously backfire against experienced players.

This reminds me of the heads up match betwen Negreanu and Phil Ivey it almost looks like they are messing around with each other in one hand using fake tells (but I don't really know what was going through their heads); Ivey pretends to reach for his chips, then Negreanu does a fake chip glance (presumably as a joke because they both know dneg has nothing) which makes Phil Ivey laugh and go all in.

Last edited:
F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
those are a secret.

I do however to get the table going...I will go "OH SHIT I HAVE ACES" when I in fact do have aces ...Works everytime

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a tendency to say I have won with these cards before if they honestly ask.

Organize a Home Poker Game Poker Tells