A

aobrien8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I was playing live 1/2 NLH a few nights ago.
Old man raises to $10 with AQ and 2 other players call with J9 and 10-9.
The flop is Q-9-3. Old man bets $6, next player raises to $12 and both players call.
The turn is a 9... uh oh. Player with J9 bets $10 and the other two call.
The river is a 6. 10-9 checks, old man shoves and both players call.

When the cards are turned over, the old man is visibly pissed. "You should be ashamed"
He directs this at the player with J9 for re-raising with middle pair.
The old man continues to direct his displeasure towards this player while the rest of the table laughs at the man.

My opinion is that the player with J9 made a weak play after the flop but I don't think the old man's verbal assault is warranted.

What are your thoughts?

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sadly that's just the culture of public live poker in a lot of places. There is always going to be a variety of casual players that show up, and some of them are assholes. There's nothing you can do about it unless they get really out of hand, at which point you can complain to the manager of whatever venue you're at, but otherwise you can usually count on those types of players to be loose cannons anyway.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
being rude is never ok.
afaik old man made a value bet on the flop that cost him the hand

E

edwardandein

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The post flop bet could have been a blocking bluff... not sure I approve of this move with middle pair but maybe he was trying to thin the field/see where he stood (again, not a good reason to bet but whatevers).

Many old men get super cranky especially at the looser aggressive play from younger people who learn to play online and who don't follow ABC TAG strategy. I once had an old man yell at me "COWARD" every time I folded to a raise (when I didn't connect with monster looking flops lol). He didn't last long. You'll meet all kinds of people at the live tables hahaha.

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"He called a raise with jack-nine, Honey!" The old man's name wouldn't happen to be Phil Hellmuth?

The flop is Q-9-3. Old man bets $6, next player raises to $12 and both players call.

The old guy did it to himself here. With a board like that, and TPTK, I would go at least 2/3rds pot, not 1/5th. You have to shut down those gutters or make them pay. He should have been all over that min-raise like white on rice if he was trying for the induction. Don't chicken out: pull the damn trigger!

When the cards are turned over, the old man is visibly pissed. "You should be ashamed"
The old man continues to direct his displeasure towards this player while the rest of the table laughs at the man.

My opinion is that the player with J9 made a weak play after the flop but I don't think the old man's verbal assault is warranted.

What are your thoughts?
They all played terrabad here. It's not acceptable when Hellmuth does it, and it's not acceptable when this guy does it.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The turn is a 9... uh oh. Player with J9 bets $10 and the other two call.
The river is a 6. 10-9 checks, old man shoves and both players call.

What are your thoughts?

I so sick of rudeness i see online at poker tables I can't imagine what it like play live
wouldn't it be lovely and encourage more players specially girls if poker players had some class and mutual respect?
seems an Alpha male thing: be borrish, rude, vulgar and just a general as*hole ... very sad

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Grumpy Old Man on Tilt.

Stop when the fun stops or when the kids start laughing:eek::D