Chip leader

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I was sat at the table only 18 players left and at the time I was chip leader. All the short stacks kept going all in and I just kept folding the guy at the side of me said why you not calling these all in ers. I was like well if I called them then more than likely they would double up and that's my chips reduced. He was like well you've got plenty of chips. So I said yes and it's going to stay that way if I get AA or KK I will call them otherwise I will sit here happy as Larry my chips there round them my castle walls round that a moat. See that there that's my dragon protecting my chips and round all that is a never ending ocean. I am not leaking chips unless I have no choice. You want to call them be my guest. He didn't last much longer. I didn't win but finished 3rd out of 73 got a nice £335 prize from my £35 entrance fee. Some people once your in the lead defend your chips don't leak them that's how you get in the money at poker tournaments.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To a certain extent I agree with you. Being the chipleader it's in your best interest to keep the short stacks in the game, as all the middling stacks are handcuffed if they have any clue about ICM.

With that said, you gotta be calling a crap ton wider the AA and KK vs 10bb or less shoves. If you run some of the hands you think are absolute folds through a equity calculator, you would be amazed at how little equity you need to call short stack jams. Almost any 2 cards will have 30% equity against 90% of their shoving range with under 10bb effective.

Now when a really short stack (1-5bb) shoves on your open or on your big blind, you MUST be calling your entire opening range, and almost your entire big blin defend range.

If your only playing AA or KK in this spot with the chip lead, you are leaving a ton of money on the table plan and simple. You will rarely if ever win (most the money is up top) if you nit it up and blind away your chip lead.

You should be applying max pressure at and near the bubble, or just prior to a large pay jump/ final table. Make the chips work for you, not you work for the chips.

P

pokerballsaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To a certain extent I agree with you. Being the chipleader it's in your best interest to keep the short stacks in the game, as all the middling stacks are handcuffed if they have any clue about ICM.

With that said, you gotta be calling a crap ton wider the AA and KK vs 10bb or less shoves. If you run some of the hands you think are absolute folds through a equity calculator, you would be amazed at how little equity you need to call short stack jams. Almost any 2 cards will have 30% equity against 90% of their shoving range with under 10bb effective.

Now when a really short stack (1-5bb) shoves on your open or on your big blind, you MUST be calling your entire opening range, and almost your entire big blin defend range.

If your only playing AA or KK in this spot with the chip lead, you are leaving a ton of money on the table plan and simple. You will rarely if ever win (most the money is up top) if you nit it up and blind away your chip lead.

You should be applying max pressure at and near the bubble, or just prior to a large pay jump/ final table. Make the chips work for you, not you work for the chips.

Top quality advice here.

I understand that you don't want to put in any chips, sure at this point you are almost guaranteed to make the money.

But folding anything that isn't AA or KK against these shoves of 12bb or less I'm assuming? Is also leaking chips, not only are you basically defending nothing, you've also told the players that too and they will take advantage of that for sure, which is fine if that's a play to make them shove even wider so you can call them, but this isn't the case.

I'm sure you took some risks on your way to becoming the chip leader and you need to still take some risks to win the tournament.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Great advice. Couldn't have put it better if I'd tried.

T

timeforachange

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was always a huge leak in my game, I would get a lot of chips then gamble and then I would wind up min cashing or not even making the money. Those are your kids out there and need to protect them at all times.. nice finish btw

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, if you have a large stack, then you need to put pressure on the other players, taking into account the calculations ICM. You need to study the range of profitable calls on the EV, according to the push / fold diagrams, and call if your combination allows you to do this.