Is this the best fold that was ever televised?

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is this the best fold that was ever televised

This hand is from a recent episode of high-stakes poker playing seven-handed in the attached video.

In my opinion, Doug made an incredulous fold at the end of the hand which could just be one of the best folds that have ever been televised! You be the judge.

Do you think you could or would have folded?

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure how she pulled this off but hell of a fold. 2019

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jonathan Little broke the hand down, and Dougs fold is actually somewhat trivial, because he is getting such a bad price and drawing dead to QT, which Phil can have the full 12 combos off. Doug also talked about the hand and said the same thing. He only took a while, because he was on TV and did not want to look bad. Phil definitely lost some value by playing the hand like this.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Televised or not - there's no such thing as "the best fold" :bebored:

E

ele mesmo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Doug knows that Phill would not go all in on the flop if he wasn’t guaranteed with the best hand.
in my opinion Phill pulled the pot, but he could have taken a lot more chips out of Doug in that hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jonathan Little broke the hand down, and Dougs fold is actually somewhat trivial, because he is getting such a bad price and drawing dead to QT, which Phil can have the full 12 combos off. Doug also talked about the hand and said the same thing. He only took a while, because he was on TV and did not want to look bad. Phil definitely lost some value by playing the hand like this.

Michael Loncar was asked about this hand on his Twitch stream recently, and he said that "It's Hellmuth", it's an easy fold for Doug because is Hellmuth EVER making that play with anything BUT the nuts? He ALWAYS talks about "setting traps for his opponents". It would work with most recreational players, but I think a lot of pro's would make that same laydown.

Doug knows that Phill would not go all in on the flop if he wasn’t guaranteed with the best hand.
in my opinion Phill pulled the pot, but he could have taken a lot more chips out of Doug in that hand.

100% right, and I agree that Phil played that pot poorly and left so much value out there. He could have just called and got one more street of value at least on the turn. I don't think he's getting much more from Doug than that because of his own reputation.

Could I make that fold? Hard to say, but knowing Phil's reputation, it's probably going to be less difficult to do this against him than many other players. But for sure, to do it live is less difficult because you have more time than online to make a decision like that.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it is, just cause its Hellmuth. If that was Negreanu it might as well would have been. But Phil don't usually move like this.
So at best you are up against a set which still loses you one time out of three, this is really the bottom of his range i think, at worst you drawing dead to Q10.
So considering a sick overbet it's really a standart fold.
Bad play by Phil.

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this the best fold that was ever televised

This hand is from a recent episode of high-stakes poker playing seven-handed in the attached video.

In my opinion, Doug made an incredulous fold at the end of the hand which could just be one of the best folds that have ever been televised! You be the judge.

Do you think you could or would have folded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcHra9RMw0A

I couldn't fold ... But this is a very strong fold.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In fact i dont even think that it matters that its Hellmuth. It's an easy fold.
At best you are against a flush draw or a set, which loses you a lot of the time. And at worst you lose a hundred per cent. So in no way this is a profitable call. The only case is just some crazy donkey dude with some kings, but its really too specific of a case. How many donkeys are there at that table? And also, that was a huge overbet, and usually you must have really good reasons to call it.
And Doug actually says just this, im either drawing dead, or u have a ton of equity.

I don't think it is, just cause its Hellmuth. If that was Negreanu it might as well would have been. But Phil don't usually move like this.
So at best you are up against a set which still loses you one time out of three, this is really the bottom of his range i think, at worst you drawing dead to Q10.
So considering a sick overbet it's really a standart fold.
Bad play by Phil.

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I could never fold this hand on the flop Q 10 the street was already built :)

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure how she pulled this off but hell of a fold. 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvwVmzSxGQM

Well the guy in the video eplained the stuff very well.
The one thing i think that needs to be said.
You might wonder, why would you go this deep into analysis of a hand. But the guy went all in, and im guessing overbetting the pot prety wild. And so this is a decision for her tournament life. So we not just ruling out the bluffs. The guy means business.
So after we think of what value hands we could beat, there would be not much of those.
There is no need to risk your tournament life if you did not even put a ton of chips in the middle yet.

Last edited:
abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a pot where someone overbets a pot significantly putting other guy al in i think the fold in such spot is not really too big of a deal. A good fold should not involve such critical decision of putting, say, 5 times more chips.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it is smart for pros to make 'unusual' folds like that for the world to see because then in the future pros can take advantage of this info and bluff them out more easily

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a recreational player, I do not think I would have been able to make the fold.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
really hard to fold and its definitely the hardest fold. Only good players can do this

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not actually being in the situation its hard to say what I would do here but I actually think I could fold here. Been a fan of Phil for years and the one thing I know about him is when all the chips go in he usually has it. How many times have we seen him 3 bey and fold preflop queens leaving himself about 12 BB? The reason I think I could fold here is hen Phil starts talking and saying what he could have. Here is one of the greats tying to convince someone the losing hands he might have at this time. No way Phil. When he bets he is normally dead silent. Then his over bet of 5x pot. WTF was he thinking. Looking at how the hand played out Phil may have put him on the monster and took his shot but more than anything I think he just blew it.

D

droozy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Polk had to have some kind of live read on Hellmuth.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Taking into consideration that these guys have a lot of shared history and the fact that not only Doug did not have the nuts, but Phil could easily have it and was trying to trap, that fold was not as "huge" as it might appear to be. It would've only been difficult for an amateur to lay that hand down.
On the other hand, The least I can say about Thi Xua's fold is that it was AMAZING ! Her A and the one on the river were blocking 5 combinations out of 6 and she still folded without thinking that much. To me, that only means that somehow, she already had him on AA preflop, hence the check on the flop. She then knew she was ahead when the 2nd Q hit the turn, but with that A on the river and his check/raise, she didn't think twice, she knew that her boat wasn't enough. Even some pros would've made that call...

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Worst raise ever", should be title of the video lol.

Folding in Poker