To be proud or envious?

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I want to tell you about one unpleasant situation that happened with my friend. Let's call him Martin. He is a poker player - this is his passion. He had a long and strong relationship with a girl named Nika, but she didn't share his passion for the game, so he decided to show her that poker is really cool. He taught her, and soon, she began to get pleasure from the game. It would seem ideal, you and your darling have the same hobby, mutual understanding, but, unfortunately, Nika began to play better than Martin. And our hero began to envy her terribly and decided that if she is better now, they cannot be together. And as a result they broke up.
And I have a question for you: what would you do in such a situation? Would you be proud of your partner or would envy take over?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only Martin truly knows why he broke-up with her,it could be a million reasons,,i like to think my wife and i are a "team" so when i win,she wins and vice-versa,some don't look at it that way for whatever reason,,,perhaps because they were not in a committed relationship.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be jealous of anyone is the worst thing.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey some people are gifted and some are hardworking no matter what it is one should always be proud of anyone who is on the come up in poker and life! that should be the general norm of humanity, also being honest with yourself is the first key to improving and envy is a start of all kinds of evil. That my opinion on it :)

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi nanida888. I have a feeling you are talking about yourself. If I'm wrong, sorry. In my opinion, Martin should be proud of her, and maybe get some of advice from her to play better. Then if both are winning money, all the better. I remember one time I was playing a MTT, and it was late, and I could not hold my eyes open, so I asked my wife if she would finish playing it for me. Long story short, she won the game for $750. And soon we got a check for $650. We spent it together, and I was proud of her. GL all

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
He made a big mistake if that's why he broke up with her. He should have been very proud of her and as she became a better player he could have learned from her. Talk about losing an opportunity. If my better 1/2 would just even play poker I would be happy.

I actually was approached by a player who wanted help playing poker. He was beyond a fish and played like crap. We were friends so I helped him. After a few weeks he started to play tighter and more aggressive. 2 months later he played in a regional championship and finished 3rd for a nice plaque and beating my best finish. Was I upset, hell no I was proud of the kid.

A

auslender72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been in a relationship since 1994 and every success of my beautiful half is my success, jealousy is sometimes good but the envy of someone's success is stupid. She's better than me in a lot of things and I'm proud of it. That's my opinion, but I'm a dinosaur)))))))

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He acted very stupidly. They could have quarreled for another reason.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol what

i would be happy for her . when you love a woman you want her to be sucessful and grant her things

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My wife plays poker and most of the time she out plays me. It doesn't take a lot to out play me though so I guess I'm proud of her. She won't read any poker books and is self taught. She is a good player.

Oh and by the way he made a huge mistake in leaving his girlfriend just because she was doing better than he was at poker. He should have thought about it and ask her for advice on how he could improve his game.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Main thing here, if you value his friendship make sure you don't hurt his feelings by outplaying him. Best strategy would be to only play hands he has already folded. Kinda painful having to fold big hands pre flop if you have to act before him, but can't be taking chances on damaging little snowflakes self esteem. :angel:

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's nothing. This is temporary. Beginners are always lucky. Later as everything will lose. And it can't do anything. The story is probably fiction. Therefore, this is the answer.