Bad vs Good Poker Player

Kirs10c

Kirs10c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read in many comments poker players referred to as BAD players. What determines a poker player to be a BAD player? Their etiquette? The cards they play?

What's your opinion?

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats a good question. i think that bad player is a player that has no idea of what he is doing. he doesnt know what hands are the winner. because if a player knows the rules and plays with bad hands or bluff every chance he has he is just a type of player, bud doesnt qualifies him as a bad player

quartz

quartz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe most of the time a "bad" player is meant to suggest a player is of a low skill level. It's definitely a touchy subject in poker since you generally want to promote camaraderie and respect playing "worse" opponents regardless of what negative opinions you may have just in case that "bad player" may not want to play you again if you're not respectful or project an arrogant attitude.

Some people do, however, try to exploit or relish in drama or just have no sense so they will whisper that so and so is awful at the table or say "I can't believe this person called" or make other lousy comments like announcing they folded a person's outs and stuff which doesn't really contribute to a positive atmosphere that would make casual "bad" players comfortable.

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My very first live game session is like a trial and error. Since my 2nd live game session onward, i regard all opponent sitting on my table as Good player.
If you have no respect for them that means you are underestimating them, and that is a deadly mistake any poker player can commit.
No matter how rude, aggressive, irritating, foul mouth, bad etiquette or slow rolling, don't fall prey to these factors.
Treat them with respect and walk away with their cash.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read in many comments poker players referred to as BAD players. What determines a poker player to be a BAD player? Their etiquette? The cards they play?

What's your opinion?
I believe there is an understand among "good" poker players of how to "correctly" play the game. In most cases these standard plays, or what I call "knowing the fundamentals" is the building blocks of "good" players....

What are these fundamentals you ask? Well the only real way to answer that question is to pay for coaching from someone that is an established winner....

In my exsperince I have 4 or 5 friends that I can say have played at the highest level, out of those 4 or 5. 2 of them are consistently profitable. Now if you take those 2 profitable players, and we get together on Skype to go over some hand histories along with the other 2 or 3 players that play at the highest level. There will be a general understanding in most hands on "the right play" making the conversation short cause everyone in the group is fundamentally sound. It's when the preseption of those fundamentals start to change is when we get into in depth conversation on how to handle spots, what the actual standard play is, or how do we exsploit in spasific spots.... those in depth conversations spawn from the playing style of each player.

thetzarofpoker

thetzarofpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What's your opinion?

at my opinion that terms are directly apliying with the money you lose or win... the bad player is the one who constantly loss money a good player wins money ..

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at my opinion that terms are directly apliying with the money you lose or win... the bad player is the one who constantly loss money a good player wins money ..
I think of bad players as those who make poor decisions. Example include people who call down vs big bets with weak hands, or who see every flop regardless of the action. Sometimes they play a hand or two and you already know they are going to be broke very soon.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Personally, I think good players are tight players and bad players are loose players. An experienced tight player has patience and self-control, he knows when to steal and when it is better not to take risks. A tight player always thinks before each decision. A loose player often makes unreasoned decisions and many other actions inherent in bad players.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like looking at it in terms of good/bad. You definitely know a bad poker player when you see it in action. Plenty of loose and tight players that know exactly what they are doing.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What's your opinion?

I would assume that a BAD player would refer to their skill level...bad etiquette would be labelled as simply rude.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What's your opinion?

Bad in the sense of evil in the chat? Such can be seen by communication. My chat is always off, so I am not affected. There are aggressive players in the game who always go all the way. There are no cards, but bluffing to the last with such is very difficult. But, if you can read it, then you can pick up a lot of chips.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What's your opinion?

BAD players to me are players, that consistently choose to make -EV plays and loose consistently with no desire to get better. A player that thinks they are playing top level poker, while consistently losing. It could also be someone new to the game that hasn't had time to develop the necessary skills and understand certain strategies.

To me a BAD player is someone that lacks the skills to be profitable, whether that be by choice, or being new and not have the skills and strategies developed yet.

Despite who they are the main message that should come from this is you should never berate or discourage their bad play. Try to think of a Large fish tank, and every time someone does something BAD and you comment on it, you're doing what we call in the poker world "Tapping the Tank" Just don't... it scares the fish away, and we need players of lower caliber to play the game or the game will die.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will not be difficult to calculate the bad player. Evidence: nervous, sweating, scratching, acting unnatural.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What's your opinion?

In the long run good poker player is the one who makes withdrawals, bad :pcguru: poker player is the one who makes deposits.

guwanch7777777

guwanch7777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a bad player wants to bluff but because of his bad bluff the other player will suffer
he's suffering too

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a simple question, but there is no clear answer. There are many factors that can make a bad player. In my experience, a passive style player is a bad player.

B

BrewCrewWI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the Bad poker players are the ones that push All-in preflop with junk starting hands. And then of course they win with that junk hand, that feeds their ego that it is something to do, the next hand, and the next hand. I swear usually the 2nd or 3rd time in a row the bad player is rewarded even more because as the table sees all in after all in with bad hands, they wake up with PP AA or KKs No Talent Hacks who now have 5+ times the avg chip stack at the table that will continue going allin and the blinds are still below 50-100 in tournaments.

SLazarov

SLazarov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What's your opinion?

Bad player - the one who doesnt have enough logic in his moves
Good player - always has certain logic and strategy for his moves

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bad player is generally one who likes poker but doesn't understand it enough to explain his or her plays.

Most bad players often blame the cards, the dealer or other players for their "bad luck".

Good players study often, read books, and do everything they can to get better.

Most bad players think that if they just play more hands than everyone they should be better than everyone.

Most bad players do not know how bad they are or why they are bad players.

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What's your opinion?

To my mind the best defenition of "good poker player" is the person, who can make a profit playing poker over a long distance. Doesn`t matter, what insttruments and methods he uses to be profitable.

In other way "bad poker player" is the person, who loose his money playing poker.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad - Poor etiquette, takes angles, gets angry/stressed/irate, has blind spots in their game, thinks they are the best.

Good - Has morals, is a good person, understands the variance that is inherent with the game, understands their is more to learn than you could ever learn, constantly analyzes their game.