Advice/opinions

J

jonlama

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Deep in tourney today (live) and I've got just over 16 bb left. At my table (there are 2 tables, one with 7 and the other with 8 players) one player has a giant chip lead, two others are probably 30 to 40 bb and the rest have similar stacks to my own. I get A5 of clubs in the BB. 4 people limp and I check the option. Flop comes 3c, 4c, Ad. I have top pair, inside straight draw and nut flush draw. I bet half the pot, which leaves me with 13bb, utg folds, utg+1 (one of the two players with a larger stack but not chip leader) raises 2.5x my bet, other two players told. Utg+1 isn't a way loose player, I'm thinking his range might include a small set, or A over card, not Ak, prolly not Aq. He didn't raise preflop so maybe A10 or Aj, maybe 2 big clubs. But once he raised I figured he was ahead of me but I had had lots of outs, so I push. He rolls over A9 and proceed to knock me out when the turn and river are rags. Thoughts?

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad luck, not bad play..

From your data, you had a lot of outs, the timing of the shove was proper, enemy was fortunate. odds were in your favor, hang in there, it all works in the long run. You learn more from the bad beats in life and in poker.

J

jonlama

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's the way I looked at it as well. I've played recreationally for many years but only recently started to put in the effort to elevate my game beyond the basic approach I've always utilized. I figured I'd just check with the community to see if there was anything I missed, or approaches I may have overlooked. Thanks for the feedback though, I certainly appreciate it!