Your advice please - How to check raise properly?

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im trying master the art of check raising, now a check raise screams strength so how much should i check raise in a situation where i hit the nut straight/ flush/ full house on the turn. First time playing with new opponents ill always check to help disguise my hand strength and to catch anyone trying to steal the pot. I generally just do a 2X - 2.5X their bet size because if they have top pair im giving them the odds to call (i think) then always bet on the river as they will want a cheap showdown, how much should my river bet be for maximum value?
In the same situation with the same people the 2nd time i would bet when hitting the nuts on the turn to change it up and keep them guessing.
Any extra advice and tips would be welcome :)

Ps how does check raising as a bluff workout and when to use them

xkenjix

xkenjix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have the nuts on turn, you need to try and gauge their hand range. No point in x-r if they have air. But like u said, if u think they have top pair, too much and they wont come along. As far as a bluff, your betting pattern for the hand needs to make sense(ie you wouldnt limp in with AA when 4 people already limped in the pot). Tbh i havent mastered the x-r bluff

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you playing cash games or tournaments?

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you playing cash games or tournaments?
I need to work on cash games, i do best in sit and goes and know if im check raising it needs to he a hand im willing to go all in with

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In my opinion, everything is relative.
Your game depends entirely on the tournament you play, from your position at the table, and from the game of your opponents. I always try to be patient and wait for good cards.

Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I need to work on cash games, i do best in sit and goes and know if im check raising it needs to he a hand im willing to go all in with
Your right!
Check raising is a tricky threat - it's like like a double down dare for others to shove no matter what game format you're playing. ;)

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im trying master the art of check raising, now a check raise screams strength so how much should i check raise in a situation where i hit the nut straight/ flush/ full house on the turn. First time playing with new opponents ill always check to help disguise my hand strength and to catch anyone trying to steal the pot. I generally just do a 2X - 2.5X their bet size because if they have top pair im giving them the odds to call (i think) then always bet on the river as they will want a cheap showdown, how much should my river bet be for maximum value?
In the same situation with the same people the 2nd time i would bet when hitting the nuts on the turn to change it up and keep them guessing.
Any extra advice and tips would be welcome :)

Ps how does check raising as a bluff workout and when to use them

It sounds like you have a solid strategy. The only thing I would tweak is making sure you are getting Max value on every street. This isn't easy to do if it was there would be A LOT more professional players. However, getting max value every time is tricky because your bet sizing is player specific.... so the more hands you have on a player the more understanding you will have on what that player will pay off. If you are having trouble with getting max value try a few different bet sizes. I know it doesn't happen often that you flop the nuts and get to be in this position to just try out new sizes all the time, so I will respond to the last part of your question about check raising as a bluff. Definitely don't want to do this and get caught because you will have lost all credibility on the table. So make sure if you are going to check raise as a bluff you are well balanced and pick good spots.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefer to bet the maximum on the river, these opportunities happen little and have to receive the due value, logically it is necessary to prepare the ground, many opponents run fast at the slightest sign of danger. It might be good to let time pass until you drop and check, maybe a continuation of the bet might attract as well.

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check raise when you have a good made hand like two pairs/set. also check raise with bluff/semi-bluff where you still have equity such as gut shot straight draw, flush draw, etc.

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check raise when you have a good made hand like two pairs/set. also check raise with bluff/semi-bluff where you still have equity such as gut shot straight draw, flush draw, etc.

I thought about this for a straight flush draw only as id have so many outs, what size would you suggest as id probably like see a fold with a hand thats not even made yet or could miss

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check-raise in a dry flop paired with good backdoors;

9s9c4c and you have Ts8s.

You can check-raise in the flop and second barrel in a turn favorable like a spades card and/or J-7 'cause your equity improves.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check-raising is only possible when playing without a position, otherwise it will just be a raise.

Try to raise your opponents at least 2 times. You should not give them a good chance to call, playing min-raises.

When making a check-raise on value, make sure that your hand is the best and it is unlikely that it will be able to move. You do not have to check-raise on coordinated boards if your opponent has potential hands that can pull you.

:)